Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2010, 06:47 PM

5 posts, read 18,297 times

Advertisements

My husband and I relocated to the Tri-Cities and I recently started WSU to finish (finally) my degree in Accounting (2 yrs to go). Have spent the last 15 yrs as full-time parent and full time manager, getting used to full time school student has been interesting. I am sure my age will show when I say "I cannot believe how much has changed".

I am trying to find a bookkeeping job (full time or part time/ temp/seasonal or permanent) but the challenge seems to be finding the job postings. It seems to be a lot of "word of mouth" and as I did not grow up here, I am lacking in the "networking" resources.

I was hoping someone might be willing to point me in the right direction...Ideal job would be in the blue collar industry, trade/construction/automotive. Not really a corporate cubical dweller, have some experience as bookkeeper in blue collar industry and I enjoyed the environment.

Appreciate any feedback or suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 12:28 AM

82 posts, read 325,180 times
You've probably tried it already but the Washington State WorkSource website is a great resource used by many potential employers in the area. There is also a link from that website that lists some major employers of the region so you can check their sites out individually. Other than that I'd recommend dropping a resume off at some of the various contractors in the area that appear to be reputable. You can do the same with mechanic and auto body shops and will likely get some feedback from those who need extra help. Best wishes fellow accounting major and welcome to the Tri-Cities!

Old 04-23-2010, 11:36 AM

Default Great suggestion

Thanks! I do use the WorkSource listings, as well as about 20 other job search engines . I had not thought about taking my resume in to some of the contractors, I made the assumption that they would not want unsolicited resume's.

Next question would be, how do you find out who are the reputable one's? I don't know anyone in the Tri-Cities that would give a personal recommendation. Any suggestions?

Btw...not sure if I read this correctly, but are you an accounting major at WSU?

Old 04-23-2010, 12:46 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
You may want to go to the industrial section of Pasco and/or the Auto-shop area in Kennewick (mostly on Canal Ave) and just ask around, maybe pass out some resumes.

I would think the worst you would get is they throw the resume out.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:48 PM

82 posts, read 325,180 times
I was an accounting major in California, never finished, and am too busy owning my own business at the moment to finish. Insanely enough I love number crunching and analysis and I still get to do it with my own business so its not so bad. I would recommend checking out commercial job sites, they tend to not struggle as much as residential contractors, especially if they've been doing it awhile and know how to not lose their shorts when they're bidding. One thing you might see is a lot of out of town contractors but they still may need someone local. There is a lot of commercial growth right now and it likely will pay better and be more reliable than residential. Tri-Cities Construction Council can likely give you names of the most active contractors at the moment since they have the lists of who's pulling building permits. Brashear Electric are an excellent, solid, and professional company, it is the first place that comes to mind that I'd be comfortable recommending. It can get dicey making recommendations and with the steep competition in the area it can make things tough for contractors which trickles down to stress on the bookkeeper/accountant. I've been there and done that. But as you drop off resumes hopefully you'll see the atmosphere and can choose on that. One accounting firm that I've had my eye on if I ever jumped back in the industry is LeMaster Daniels accounting firm - good benefits, varied work, good support for those preparing to take their CPA exam, etc. Best Wishes!

Old 01-26-2012, 11:13 PM

Default Update and Thank You!

So much has happened since I originally posted my request for bookkeeping job suggestions. I used all the suggestions that I got, handed out A Lot of resumes and have a part-time bookkeeping job I LOVE! I then started my own licensed bookkeeping company, so between the two I keep really busy. Thank you to everyone that offered suggestions. They paid off!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities