Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 12:56 PM

532 posts, read 445,604 times

Advertisements

I have been going through Tri-city threads and my interest is high.
Currently my plan is to move someplace warmer and sunnier and I'm considering a lot of locations.

I really love our Alaskan home for 4-5 of the warmer months but the Winters are too long.
I have made 14 military moves starting in Hawaii and ending in Alaska. I've enjoyed them all from coastal NC to coastal So Cal and desert Arizona.

I'm 62 and retired (military and civilian) my wife is 55 and planned on 3 more years of work but open to retire and move any time now. My wife is way more cold tolerant and does well in the Winter.

Pros of the tri city area:
The weather is a step up - looks like it would satisfy bicycling, kayaking and hiking plus be a good home base for travelling and camping in our RV.

We are healthy but I need to plan on Healthcare options for seniors. They seem to be good?

A quick look at Zillow for housing seems to indicate I could afford a simple detached small home and I might get one with a wide open view? I would probably rent for a year while looking and deciding if I'm OK with the area.

Cons:
We have a young adult child at Portland State who may stay there for employment. She graduates this year.
I would consider Vancouver to be close to her but Vancouver housing would be smaller and pricier?

My wife likes Portland and Seattle Tacoma areas. There is a big base there that I would have access to. So her preference for a city is limiting I would have to sell her on this area having enough or having a vibe she can get into.

Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2022, 12:09 AM

8,213 posts, read 16,689,250 times
Royalabran,

Congats on the retirement and thank you for your service.

I have a son who is also graduating this year. So, I understand the feeling of limbo state not knowing where they are headed to next after graduation. I'm sure they feel the same with their whole lives ahead of them. My son is attending UW and at first wanted to move back down here to Vancouver WA where we live. He has his friends here and likes us ok also, I think. So, he wanted to find a job in the greater Portland metro which we would prefer but don't want to limit him either. Young adults must be free to follow their dreams, right? Well, he got a job offer that he just accepted from a California company that was too good to pass up which we knew was a possibility. But there's twist. It's a fully remote gig. So, he plans to move back down this summer unless something changes. Bottom line is you never really know.

Is there a chance you could wait to see how things shake out once your daughter graduates? It might be a bit easier to plan around and help with the decision to live closer in vs. further out. Tri-Cities is ~ 3.5-4 hours from Portland depending on traffic, weather, etc... But if she ends up moving to Seattle or San Francisco, it may change things a bit for you as well. If closer to Seattle Tacoma, then maybe heading up that way would tip scales a bit. Also, Vancouver is only ~ 2 hours to Tacoma and ~ 3 to Seattle.

Lastly, Vancouver will having milder weather during winter for kayaking. I paddle all year here and enjoy the variety along with access to the coast as well for weekend trips. Its only ~ 2 hours to the Oregon coast.

The biggest benefit for Tri-Cities is more affordable housing followed by less rain but colder during winter. It's basically the drier side of the state. I don't know how paddling is during winter. The Columbia can get rougher with faster moving currents during certain times of the year not to mention colder. I don't know about lakes nearby for paddling. Maybe a local can chime in on that aspect for winter paddling. But here in Vancouver we have many alternatives including some really nice lakes. In fact, I just went paddling yesterday:

Another couple local paddle spots during winter from this winter:

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 02-22-2022 at 12:21 AM..

Old 02-22-2022, 11:11 AM

Looking for more pros and cons on a WA move from AK-salmon-rider.jpg

Derek, thanks for your input and sharing some pics
Here are a few of my backyard last year (Fairbanks, AK)
Currently we are under snow and the frozen river is used for dog sled races

Looking for more pros and cons on a WA move from AK-96146452_10222976437789206_1508938310209241088_n.jpg

Looking for more pros and cons on a WA move from AK-96216898_10223060366247365_2272790280933474304_n.jpg

Looking for more pros and cons on a WA move from AK-img_20190527_142154.jpg

Looking for more pros and cons on a WA move from AK-40c.jpg

Old 02-22-2022, 03:29 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
I worked in Tri-Cities for six years back in the 90's. When I retired I chose to come back. Why?

1. It has the sunniest weather in Washington State. (also the hottest summers)
2. The cost of housing was about 40% of the Seattle area. (prices are up here, like everywhere)
3. Not too big, not too small. Has most amernities that Seattle has in an area of just over 300,000.
4. About three hours to Seattle if you need a big city for a day or two.
5. Growing, thriving area. Low unemployment.
6. Located on one of the widest points on the Columbia River (in Eastern WA)
7. Educated population, many working at Hanford and/or related businesses and industries
8. Good Schools
9. Major retail area for Southwest WA and Northeast Oregon
10. Did I mention the sun is out a lot?

Old 02-22-2022, 06:28 PM

Correction: #9 ”southeast Washington”

Last edited by pnwguy2; 02-22-2022 at 06:53 PM..

Old 02-23-2022, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Correction: #9 ”southeast Washington”
pnwguy2, what are the waterways like out there during winter and early Spring? I would imagine the Columbia is a too cold and moving too much for paddling. Even in Vancouver, it can be dangerous when moving fast after snow runoff or lots of rain.

Do they have any lakes which aren't frozen where folks still kayak/SUP during this season? Just curious.

I saw this which looks good as things warm a bit: New Launch Area Opens for Kayakers and Paddleboarders in Richland

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 02-23-2022 at 01:49 AM..

Old 02-23-2022, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalabran View Post
Attachment 235114

Derek, thanks for your input and sharing some pics
Here are a few of my backyard last year (Fairbanks, AK)
Currently we are under snow and the frozen river is used for dog sled races

Attachment 235110

Attachment 235111

Attachment 235112

Attachment 235113
Nice photos of your backyard! Looks like great water access once things warm a bit too.

Derek

Old 02-23-2022, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
pnwguy2, what are the waterways like out there during winter and early Spring? I would imagine the Columbia is a too cold and moving too much for paddling. Even in Vancouver, it can be dangerous when moving fast after snow runoff or lots of rain.

Do they have any lakes which aren't frozen where folks still kayak/SUP during this season? Just curious.

I saw this which looks good as things warm a bit: New Launch Area Opens for Kayakers and Paddleboarders in Richland

As for the Columbia freezing, not likely due to all the dams.

Derek
I can’t find seasonal statistics on that but the yearly average is about 70 degrees. Logic would say that number would be significantly lower in winter. As for the Columbia freezing, not likely due to all the dams.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 02-23-2022 at 10:30 AM..

Old 02-23-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I worked in Tri-Cities for six years back in the 90's. When I retired I chose to come back. Why?

1. It has the sunniest weather in Washington State. (also the hottest summers)
2. The cost of housing was about 40% of the Seattle area. (prices are up here, like everywhere)
3. Not too big, not too small. Has most amernities that Seattle has in an area of just over 300,000.
4. About three hours to Seattle if you need a big city for a day or two.
5. Growing, thriving area. Low unemployment.
6. Located on one of the widest points on the Columbia River (in Eastern WA)
7. Educated population, many working at Hanford and/or related businesses and industries
8. Good Schools
9. Major retail area for Southwest WA and Northeast Oregon
10. Did I mention the sun is out a lot?
Thanks! pnwguy2 this is quite a good pitch for the area!

Old 02-23-2022, 11:40 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,103,672 times
Tri-Cities is a very good and centrally located area on the dry-side of Washington. As a fellow vet you are close to some military and VA access.

Spokane is about two hours away and has Fairchild AFB
Walla Walla is about an hour away and has a full VA Medical Center
McChord/Ft Lewis are about 4 hours away, probably more with traffic
Umatilla, OR is about 40 minutes away for some sales tax free shopping.
Portland, OR is about 3.5 hours away for family visits. Add 1 1/2 hours and you're at the beach.

Lots of RV destination in the area from NE WA, North Idaho, NE Oregon, and the coast. Good Luck. It could be a good area to call home.

For water access: How is the Snake River east of the Tri-Cities for Kayaking, or the Burbank Slough in the McNary National Wildlife Sanctuary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities