Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 05:15 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

It was chronicled in a 1980s made for TV movie "The Death of Innocence." also there was a book which I read about the same name I think.

She was born to an upper middle class family in a suburb of Chicago. She attended New Trier HS - which I remember because a friend of my father went there a long time before.

Her parents were in deep denial about he increasingly strange behavior.

She stuffed raw meat in cushions of the lounge at her dorm and rode the elevator for hours at a time. She had a brief marriage to an insurance executive that ended in a nasty divorce.

She obtained a job as a nanny ( what else?) and finally took an elementary school hostage killing one child and injuring several others.

She is also an unconfirmed suspect in the Chicago tylenol murders.

She took her own life.

I was reminded of her because of a post on another forum complaining of an eccentric tenant who was bothering other tenants in a building. She was harassing an Asian man and told him to go back to his own country.
She was also bothering people for smoking outside the building but she herself was a smoker who smoked in the very same place.

Her family seemed unconcerned by her behavior and were subsidising her rent as were the parents of Laurie Dann.

The thing is so many families are in total denial about the odd behavior of a loved one. When they have money they frequently pay to have them live elsewhere but fail to seek adequate tratment or intervention.

perhaps they do not wish to bring shane to their families. Perhaps they are a bit crazy themselves.

I am not being alarmist but when someone is in the general population and is behaving abnormally to the point that it is disturbing people - we should take notice.

Odd behavior can turn into violent behavior.

Not always but sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 08:30 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It was chronicled in a 1980s made for TV movie "The Death of Innocence." also there was a book which I read about the same name I think.

She was born to an upper middle class family in a suburb of Chicago. She attended New Trier HS - which I remember because a friend of my father went there a long time before.

She stuffed raw meat in cushions of the lounge at her dorm and rode the elevator for hours at a time. She had a brief marriage to an insurance executive that ended in a nasty divorce.

She obtained a job as a nanny ( what else?) and finally took an elementary school hostage killing one child and injuring several others.

She is also an unconfirmed suspect in the Chicago tylenol murders.

She took her own life.

I was reminded of her because of a post on another forum complaining of an eccentric tenant who was bothering other tenants in a building. She was harassing an Asian man and told him to go back to his own country.
She was also bothering people for smoking outside the building but she herself was a smoker who smoked in the very same place.

Her family seemed unconcerned by her behavior and were subsidising her rent as were the parents of Laurie Dann.

The thing is so many families are in total denial about the odd behavior of a loved one. When they have money they frequently pay to have them live elsewhere but fail to seek adequate tratment or intervention.

perhaps they do not wish to bring shane to their families. Perhaps they are a bit crazy themselves.

I am not being alarmist but when someone is in the general population and is behaving abnormally to the point that it is disturbing people - we should take notice.

I don't remember ever hearing about this person, but it does sound like a very interesting story.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:26 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Quote:

I think you're right. Many families are in denial, and after something happens they still don't get it. Remember the guy who killed all of those students in the Virginia Tech massacre? His parents were in total denial and although one teacher tried to warn people and the school, it went on deaf ears.
Parents don't want to admit their kids are mentally ill and they probably believe it'll "just go away." You do see that theme over and over again.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:15 PM

821 posts, read 861,205 times
No I don't remember that story, but I want to look into it. And most parents don't think of their children capable of committing tragedies such as that.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:52 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,812,876 times
I didn't remember the story, either, but of course I had to go wiki it. It was kind of late, so I may have missed it, but the wiki article didn't mention her being a suspect in the Tylenol tamperings. Is she still considered suspect?

I'm addicted to the trutv website, so I'll see if I can dig up any more info on her. I've been stuck at home, and have had nothing else to do but play games and read about serial killers, the last few days. =P

Old 08-07-2010, 12:06 AM

Nothing to do but play games and reas about serial killers? Well that sounds like a plan!

Old 08-07-2010, 12:33 AM

Phoenix Lady the Virginia tech killings were a perfect example of how well educated and middle class people can really "drop the ball" on this type of event. His parents knew that he was troubled. The school knew that he was troubled. But I think that middle class people - and inherently middle class institutions - colleges and universities being a prime example - have a difficult time with reporting this sort of thing for fear of offending the parents family or individual or for fear of a law suit.
What of the student or young person is just plain weird or harmless? That is most often the case.
It gets tricky.
When I was a sophomore at college a very attractive young man began to pay a lot of attention to me. He was supposed to be a brilliant student but quiet. I am not quiet and I was not quiet then either. At first I was flattered by his attention - he just seemed to hang on my every word. Girl friends told me that he was cute and sweet. I remember he had really big blue eyes and a nice smile.
But after about the third date I became bored. He was not funny and he did not make any attempts at humor. When I was funny he laughed just a hair to early or to late. Almost mechanical. As though he knew it was a joke but was not exactly sure of when to laugh.
All of this hyper attentiveness that once felt so good began to feel creapy. I started to feel sorry for him but I found him boring and strange. I began to distance myself from him but he did not take the hint. I would arrive back at my dorm room after a class and he would be sitting outside of my room. It seemed that he had memorized my class schedule! It also seemed that he was not going to his own classes.
I went to someone - I am not sure what her title was some sort of dean of student life. She was very understanding. He did persist, but after Thanksgiving break he did not return to school.
I often wonder what happened to him. If the school intervened or if I was just lucky.
I do not remember his name but I do remember those strange vacuous blue eyes and his hollow laugh.
It was as though there was no one inside.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:36 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,779,620 times
I remember watching the movie, Valerie Bertinelli played Laurie Dann, instead of stuffing the raw meat in the couch she stuffed it all in the fridge in the movie. Valerie did a great job, as usual

Old 08-07-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy14 View Post
I didn't remember the story, either, but of course I had to go wiki it. It was kind of late, so I may have missed it, but the wiki article didn't mention her being a suspect in the Tylenol tamperings. Is she still considered suspect?

I'm addicted to the trutv website, so I'll see if I can dig up any more info on her. I've been stuck at home, and have had nothing else to do but play games and read about serial killers, the last few days. =P
That sounds entertaining to me! Sorry you are stuck at home, though, if you don't want to be.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Phoenix Lady the Virginia tech killings were a perfect example of how well educated and middle class people can really "drop the ball" on this type of event. His parents knew that he was troubled. The school knew that he was troubled. But I think that middle class people - and inherently middle class institutions - colleges and universities being a prime example - have a difficult time with reporting this sort of thing for fear of offending the parents family or individual or for fear of a law suit.
What of the student or young person is just plain weird or harmless? That is most often the case.
It gets tricky.
When I was a sophomore at college a very attractive young man began to pay a lot of attention to me. He was supposed to be a brilliant student but quiet. I am not quiet and I was not quiet then either. At first I was flattered by his attention - he just seemed to hang on my every word. Girl friends told me that he was cute and sweet. I remember he had really big blue eyes and a nice smile.
But after about the third date I became bored. He was not funny and he did not make any attempts at humor. When I was funny he laughed just a hair to early or to late. Almost mechanical. As though he knew it was a joke but was not exactly sure of when to laugh.
All of this hyper attentiveness that once felt so good began to feel creapy. I started to feel sorry for him but I found him boring and strange. I began to distance myself from him but he did not take the hint. I would arrive back at my dorm room after a class and he would be sitting outside of my room. It seemed that he had memorized my class schedule! It also seemed that he was not going to his own classes.
I went to someone - I am not sure what her title was some sort of dean of student life. She was very understanding. He did persist, but after Thanksgiving break he did not return to school.
I often wonder what happened to him. If the school intervened or if I was just lucky.
I do not remember his name but I do remember those strange vacuous blue eyes and his hollow laugh.
It was as though there was no one inside.
This gave me the creeps to read. Nicely written, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime