Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2011, 02:51 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,698,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A proposed kidney transplant that won two Mississippi sisters their freedom from prison can't take place until one quits smoking and they lose a combined 160 pounds.
Ex-convict sisters too overweight to share kidney - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110223/ap_on_re_us/us_sisters_released_kidney - broken link)

Thoughts?

I didn't realize dialysis costs were $200,000 annually. Good thing that sister had that taken care of while she was in prison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 02:58 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,455,141 times
As a side note, I was wondering how the one lady gained so much weight while incarcerated. It seems they must feed them very well in prison! That is a lot to weigh when the 3 meals a day you're getting are controlled by the State! I am surprised that the State did not force her to diet in order to improve her health.

I do hope that both of them meet their goals and that the surgery is a success.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:03 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,698,306 times
^^Hm, according to Jamie Scott, they didn't get enough exercise in prison and prison life contributed to their overeating. Also they've always struggled with their weight. Still... 5' tall and 254 pounds is a bit too dangerous.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:10 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,166,280 times
I'm also curious about how someone can overeat so much in prison...I thought prisoners got three basic meals a day. So how does one overeat so much, and if that sort of weight gain was simply from the meals served, seems to me portions should be controlled. Surely obese prisoners cost the state (taxpayers) more in the long run because of health risks?

Smoking in prison is banned here in Michigan, I believe; I guess the same doesn't go for all states.

Would a person with no health insurance who wasn't in prison be able to get dialysis?

At any rate, without knowing other details like their prior history or the exact nature of the crime, 16 years seems like an awfully long time for armed robbery. I knew someone who did 3 years in Chino for armed robbery - nobody was physically harmed - got out, went to college and is now quite well off. That's quite a disparity.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:51 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,496,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I'm also curious about how someone can overeat so much in prison...I thought prisoners got three basic meals a day. So how does one overeat so much, and if that sort of weight gain was simply from the meals served, seems to me portions should be controlled. Surely obese prisoners cost the state (taxpayers) more in the long run because of health risks?

Smoking in prison is banned here in Michigan, I believe; I guess the same doesn't go for all states.

Would a person with no health insurance who wasn't in prison be able to get dialysis?

At any rate, without knowing other details like their prior history or the exact nature of the crime, 16 years seems like an awfully long time for armed robbery. I knew someone who did 3 years in Chino for armed robbery - nobody was physically harmed - got out, went to college and is now quite well off. That's quite a disparity.
I would think that the type of food would also be a factor. Lots of carbs.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:22 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
^^Hm, according to Jamie Scott, they didn't get enough exercise in prison and prison life contributed to their overeating. Also they've always struggled with their weight. Still... 5' tall and 254 pounds is a bit too dangerous.
Dangerous? I'd call it disgusting.

Prisoners are allowed to by snacks/junk food theough the prison commisary. Pretty much with no restrictions other than the money in their prisoner account. So while they might get 1800 calories a day with their prison diet, lack of excercise and another 1800 calories a day in the form of Kool Aid, candy bars, and chips will quickly make one morbidly obese.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:42 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
Why didn't anyone note this issue while they were still incarcerated? Send them back to prison now, until they can have the surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime