Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 04:36 PM

297 posts, read 519,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Interesting. I wonder if at some point in time we will read a book about Jon Benet, and hopefully her killer will be behind bars. And the cloud over her family will be laid to rest.
There's been lots of books written about JonBenet's case:

Amazon.com: JonBenet: Books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 07:15 PM

838 posts, read 2,240,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Yes, MAYBE. That is the official version. Remember, sometimes cases are "closed," to end speculation and to get old, expensive cases, out of police departments. O'Toole is now dead and cannot be interviewed, etc.

Like it or not, Walsh himself was the prime suspect in this case and its never been proven he didn't do it.
You say that Walsh was the prime supsect. I've gone through old newspapers and I don't see any suggestion of him being a suspect at all, let alone the prime suspect. Could you please provide a link or provide the source of your information that he was the prime suspect? I would think since Adam was taken during the daytime at a specific time, John Walsh would have been easily able to prove where he was if he was at work, for example. I don't know if this is the case, but maybe if I read that book I'd find out more.

I understand you are a police officer for 22 years, but you live in CA, not in FL and that would be a very long commute to work so I'm assuming you are not on the Hollywood, FL police department. My ex has been a police officer for 32 years in NY, but he is not privy to any inside case information to a case in Hollywood, FL. I'd bet the person on this site who is reading the book knows more about this case than my ex police officer spouse.

John Walsh's website says that his show is responsible for 1,149 worldwide captures.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:13 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I read that the Walshes went on to have three more children after Adam died. I didn't know that they later divorced.
I'm pretty sure they're still married. At least, I hope they are...

Quote:
"America's Most Wanted" host John Walsh and his wife have jointly dismissed their divorce lawsuit, an attorney for Reve Walsh said.

Attorney Odette Bendeck said Tuesday that the couple is "happily reconciled" and committed to their marriage.

A dismissal of all divorce actions was filed in state court in Indian River County, where Reve Walsh filed for divorce in July 2002.
John Walsh, wife dismiss divorce suit - East Valley Tribune: Home

Old 04-16-2011, 05:38 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
John Walsh and his wife are still married.

I finished the book. It is astounding. The author follows an investigator who was in on the case from the beginning. (And who did not work for the Hollywood, FL police department.) Toole did it. He confessed numerous times to numerous people including members of his own family. The case against him is laid out very clearly in the book. The evidence clearly shows Toole kidnapped and brutally murdered Adam Walsh.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:19 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,438,358 times
He is so busy getting justice for those who need it so badly on his show, that i was so very happy that he and his wife after 27 years after adam's murder that the case was solved.

Now maybe he and his wife can find the inner peace they both deserve. You do not rest and have peace, when someone you love, has been murdered. And the killer has not been brought to justice.

I am very happy for him, and when this did happen, took one look at him, and knew he had nothing what so ever to do with his Son's muder.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:55 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,568,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm actually reading the book now. Adam was abducted from a Sears store. A teen-age security guard broke up a disturbance between some kids in the video department and shooed the kids outside. Adam was among the kids. His mother was a few aisles away looking at lamps. When she went to get Adam he was gone.

She asked the security guard if she knew where Adam was and the S.G. denied knowing anything. When the police came to the sore the S.G. didn't tell them she'd shooed all the kids outside.

Adam was picked up by Toole who offered him candy and toys. I'm 1/3 of the way through the book but it's already obvious that the Hollywood, FL police blew it BIG TIME. Toole confessed and there was evidence in his car.

John Walsh had absolutely NOTHING to do with his son's murder.

I'd urge you all to read the book. While graphic and disturbing it is very well-written and researched. (I cannot believe the hell John Walsh and his wife were put through because of the lousy job of investigating the police did in this case. Unbelievable. It could have been solved years earlier.)
I have read the book...and you're right, they could have solved this years earlier...but the end result did and still doing so much good for would be victims. I believe there is a reason for everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
He is so busy getting justice for those who need it so badly on his show, that i was so very happy that he and his wife after 27 years after adam's murder that the case was solved.

Now maybe he and his wife can find the inner peace they both deserve. You do not rest and have peace, when someone you love, has been murdered. And the killer has not been brought to justice.

I am very happy for him, and when this did happen, took one look at him, and knew he had nothing what so ever to do with his Son's muder.
I am so glad that they did not go through with the divorce. It would have been so sad, after all they went through these years.

They're relentless effort resulted in the prompting of national legislation to create a national database and toll-free line devoted to missing children, and led to the start of "America's Most Wanted."

May they find spiritual peace from this closure...

Old 11-06-2011, 12:30 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Virgode: "So where did all those pages of disappearing evidence against Otis Toolle go?"

Nobody knows. It sounds similar to other murders, such as JonBenet Ramsey's, that took place in small towns where the police force was small or otherwise unprepared to handle such a case. Really sad. There's a lot of information about Toole on the below link.

Evidence Lost, A Painful Mystery Remains
...What may be the most bizarre twist in the Adam Walsh case occurred a few weeks later. The FDLE transferred the carpet samples and Toole's 1971 Cadillac to the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office.
Since Toole had recanted his confession, someone deemed the evidence no longer viable and the carpet samples were thrown out. The vehicle was sold to a used car lot and eventually junked for scrap....from:
AMW | Fugitives | Ottis Toole | Case

Old 05-27-2012, 07:35 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
If the murderer for this case was found 27 years after the crime and the Etan Patz case has a suspect 33 years later, maybe there's hope for solving the JonBenet Ramsey case.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:11 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,238,113 times
Walsh was never a suspect. And I do blame the security guard and would have brought civil charges against him. However, the mother was as well, negligent.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:38 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,273,545 times
However, the mother was as well, negligent.

.... if you have ever gone shopping with a child, you would know that they can disappear in the blink of an eye. I don't think in 1978 that there were all these stranger abductions and she probably was caught totally off guard. She is not to blame . As it is, she probably relives that day in her mind all the time.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 05-30-2012 at 07:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime