Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 11:27 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,351,326 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember (and I know this really occurred because I kept all the clippings which are unfortunately back in GA) that about a year after the Susan Smith thing happened in South Carolina, 7 people drowned in that lake after stopping to look at the memorial that was there for Smith's children?

it was sort of swept under the rug, to say the least. these people were on the shores of the lake, two got out of the car (a ford explorer, if i remember correctly) to look at the memorial for the children and suddenly the car started heading toward the lake. the two on shore jumped in to try and save the five others in the car and wound up drowning themselves. i remember that they even had people out from the car manufacturer to look at the vehicle to determine what had happened, but the transmission was found in park and nothing seemed to be wrong. on top of that the driver's blood alcohol level was really low- something like one beer. he didn't seem to have had a heart attack, or anything. they just kept going round and round investigating it and never found out any clue as to why it occurred. its creepy and alot of people don't know about it. John D. Long Lake- just be warned, i am a pretty gutsy broad and i will never visit that lake. that is bona-fide spookery right there.

New Night of Horror In S. Carolina Lake As 7 Visitors Drown - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 03:05 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
I never heard of that before. Horrible!

Old 01-20-2011, 11:04 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,812,876 times
That's chilling!

Old 01-25-2011, 08:31 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/true-...h-ask-new.html

Old 01-26-2011, 10:29 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
It's not so much spooky as it was entirely preventable. There's nothing other worldly about intent (Smith) or carelessness or whatever it was that caused these deaths.

Smith can ask away for anything. I doubt that she'll be granted either a new trial or parole when she's eligible. The safest place in the world for her is in prison.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
It's not so much spooky as it was entirely preventable. There's nothing other worldly about intent (Smith) or carelessness or whatever it was that caused these deaths.

Smith can ask away for anything. I doubt that she'll be granted either a new trial or parole when she's eligible. The safest place in the world for her is in prison.
i'm not talking about the original crimes, i am talking about what happened a year later, with the people who came to visit the memorial. and despite what you may say, all the experts who were brought in to figure out why a car in park wound up at the bottom of John D. Long lake with a sober healthy driver and no skidding or mud at the shore could not come up with an explanation. like i said, i kept all the clippings as they came out, and none are available online as far as i have been able to find, and they went round and round on this. finally it was just left alone, with no explanation, and that is SPOOKY.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:21 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
I know about such things and find this to be chilling.
I do believe it to be "other worldly."
I live near a river that claims the lives of at least 15 to 20 people per year.
There should be a paranormal forum.
This is spooky. Has anyone heard of Water Babies?

Old 01-29-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I know about such things and find this to be chilling.
I do believe it to be "other worldly."
I live near a river that claims the lives of at least 15 to 20 people per year.
There should be a paranormal forum.
This is spooky. Has anyone heard of Water Babies?
sheena, me too...with every other type of forum available on here it seems a shame that there isn't a paranormal thread. there is a great one that i read over on the somethingawfulforums....

Summer Ghost Story/Paranormal Thread! - The Something Awful Forums

loads of pages of people sharing their own spooky stories and i have a handful myself.

as far as water babies, i don't know if you are talking about waterheads? there was a legend in north GA, where i grew up, about an old mental asylum somewhere in smyrna that had caught fire and a bunch of people had escaped, and bred with each other....we called em waterheads. is that what you are talking about? if not tell me more!! : )

Old 01-29-2011, 02:32 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
Does anyone remember (and I know this really occurred because I kept all the clippings which are unfortunately back in GA) that about a year after the Susan Smith thing happened in South Carolina, 7 people drowned in that lake after stopping to look at the memorial that was there for Smith's children?

it was sort of swept under the rug, to say the least. these people were on the shores of the lake, two got out of the car (a ford explorer, if i remember correctly) to look at the memorial for the children and suddenly the car started heading toward the lake. the two on shore jumped in to try and save the five others in the car and wound up drowning themselves. i remember that they even had people out from the car manufacturer to look at the vehicle to determine what had happened, but the transmission was found in park and nothing seemed to be wrong. on top of that the driver's blood alcohol level was really low- something like one beer. he didn't seem to have had a heart attack, or anything. they just kept going round and round investigating it and never found out any clue as to why it occurred. its creepy and alot of people don't know about it. John D. Long Lake- just be warned, i am a pretty gutsy broad and i will never visit that lake. that is bona-fide spookery right there.

New Night of Horror In S. Carolina Lake As 7 Visitors Drown - NYTimes.com
That is pretty strange.

I knew a lady once who was an Ornithologist. She was parked beside one of our lakes counting buzzards that were in a "roosting" tree and her volkswagen bug rolled into the lake. We assumed she left it in neutral and the parking brake failed.

The moral of the story, I guess, is: Don't park your car where it can roll into the water. A ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-29-2011, 03:31 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Nighthouse send me a DM. I don't want to go off topic.
Are you referring to Chattahoochee?

No Water Babies are some thing else.
Do you know how to start a new forum?
Write to me!

~ Sheena
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime