Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 09:50 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times

Advertisements

this case is very similar to the one of the girl who was eating her skin and happened not that long ago.

The girl in the window - St. Petersburg Times

Quote:
Part One: The Feral Child
Quote:
PLANT CITY — The family had lived in the rundown rental house for almost three years when someone first saw a child's face in the window.
A little girl, pale, with dark eyes, lifted a dirty blanket above the broken glass and peered out, one neighbor remembered. ..snip...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 12:06 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
I wasn't sure I could read past the DFS worker found by police slummped over in the seat of her car, I had to take a moment before I pressed on, I knew it was gonna be bad.

Thank God this little girl was finally discovered and adopted.

As I started to read part #3 of the story my anger was building.

According to the girls mother, (who knows what you can believe the womens off her rocker) DFS had been there on two other occasions.

Why wasn't this home and children checked in on with regular intervals?

If her account is correct, DFS is equally responsible for the condition of this little girl.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:58 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
In most states in this country dfs is overworked and underpaid and under educated . DFS goes after the ones who they dont really need too and the ones they do need to go after go unattended why is that ? I have never figured that one out . I had a neighbor whose ex husband kept calling dfs and they would come out every time and that poor woman was so harassed by them I felt sorry for her . I told the lady that came to my door from dfs that lady was a good mother and the house was always clean when I was over there . That lady had a spotless house and that little girl had the nicest clothes , nicer than my kids had . She was always clean too . I just think the dad was trying to get the little girl from her so that he no longer had to pay child support . So he would call dfs weekly on her , you would think after so many reports they would tell him to stop or face charges . She finally moved out of state and I was glad for her to see her maybe finally get some peace but who knows with a vindictive ex . And yes DFS is equally responsible for this little girls condition !!!

Old 10-02-2011, 11:56 AM

This little girl will never really, fully recover. She lost too much time. The same with the other girl we have been posting about. It just doesn't happen. Too much time was wasted/lost during the formative years. They can come out of some of it but, not all, without the grace of God.......

It is hard to believe that man was made in the image of God.....I guess when He gave us the ability to choose our paths, the human race began to slip backwards..

Old 10-02-2011, 01:16 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
That is the same as the case of Genie, a little girl severely neglected and abused. She is in a group home. Never able to develop language skills, receptive or expressive. She was too severely neglected for too many years. She is a sad a case.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genie_(feral_child)

Old 10-03-2011, 12:17 PM

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genie_(feral_child) this got me to the article and one of the saddest I have ever read. This child was thrown away from the start and her abandonment has continued throughout her life......truly heartbreaking. How can we, as humans, be so callous and cruel ?

eta: I see it becomes the same link but, I had to keep linking to get to the story. (does that make sense ?)

Old 10-03-2011, 12:29 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
This child was thrown away from the start and her abandonment has continued throughout her life......truly heartbreaking. How can we, as humans, be so callous and cruel ?
Are you referring to people in general or the case you've linked?

Could it be the "Whats in it for me" factor?

Old 10-03-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Are you referring to people in general or the case you've linked?

Could it be the "Whats in it for me" factor?
the case I linked.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:02 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genie_(feral_child)

Genie is a famous case of abuse and neglect, and has been studied quite extensively, in regards to how children cannot learn basic language or skills after a certian age, because of severe neglect. The nueral pathways never had a chance to develop, so a child is stuck in as a pervasive developmental disorder for life. She has the capacity to learn, but after that critical time frame of not getting stimuli, she could never learn even basic skills or communication.

I have seen many children of drug addicts, who have the same type of developmental issues. One little girl, age 5, ate food with her hands, off the floor. She had never used a plate, spoon, or fork. She had been eating dog food off the floor.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:53 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,125 times
There is a very good movie chronicling Genie's story called Mockingbird Don't Sing. Very sad. I also saw a documentary, can't remember the name of it, but it was about feral children. One child was put out her house at around 1 or 2 and lived with wild dogs. The dogs took care of her, hunted for her, let her nurse from them, and when she was discovered she behaved like a dog--barking, panting, lapping water with her tongue, and absolutely didn't trust humans. She never learned to talk, and even though people tried to teach her to behave like a human, she kept reverting back to dog ways. I don't know what ever happened to her.

These cases are always so tragic because even though you're happy to see the child was rescued before they died, you know they will never live normal lives. At least this little girl did find a family who loves her and was adopted. That is really the best thing that could have happened for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime