Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 04:03 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,827,137 times

Advertisements

Do you all think a change of venue will make a difference in this case?

Prosecutors ask for out-of-county jury in Sandusky case - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 10:41 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
Do you all think a change of venue will make a difference in this case?

Prosecutors ask for out-of-county jury in Sandusky case - CNN.com
Nope...

Old 02-02-2012, 01:24 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,962,389 times
No

Old 02-02-2012, 06:43 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
He will do fine if they go to find jurors in Pinellas County, FL.

However, other than that, I don't see any help for this guy.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:18 PM

I needed that laugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
He will do fine if they go to find jurors in Pinellas County, FL.

However, other than that, I don't see any help for this guy.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:18 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
My graduation from, and love for Penn State aside, there's litlte doubt in my mind that Sandusky is guilty of something, but I retain some stronger doubts as to the severity.

The focus shifted almost immediately from Sandusky to the entire Penn State program within a few hours of the story's breaking, and the outcry from the most outspoken feminists and sheltered, over-protective and security-obsessed suburban Mommas was anticipated, immediate, and extreme. When Paterno quickly fell apart, the evidence began to appear that the "lynch mob" has overplayed its hand.

There is real, and bitter emnity on both sides of this issue, just as the scandals over sexual abuse by priests exploded because of the long-standing emnity between the Catholic church and radical groups like ACT-UP. So while abuse exists and has been rooted out, the scope of the problem is expanded in the minds of the alarmists, which in turn, strenghtens the resistance of the conservatives and hardens the battle lines.

I want to know whiy McQueary and those close to him have done everything possib;e not to allow a closer scruitiny of their side of the story, and if there is any evidence of an organized effort among those with a particular goal other than simple criminal justice ... the identity of those interests needs to be just as thoroughly examined.

Beyond that point, I do believe that a fair trial is possible locally. State College is a diverse and highly-educated community ... not exactly a "coal patch".

Old 02-06-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
My graduation from, and love for Penn State aside, there's litlte doubt in my mind that Sandusky is guilty of something, but I retain some stronger doubts as to the severity.
You retain stronger doubts as to the severity? If it wasn't anal or oral sex even groping young boys that didn't want to be groped is severe.

Quote:
The focus shifted almost immediately from Sandusky to the entire Penn State program within a few hours of the story's breaking, and the outcry from the most outspoken feminists and sheltered, over-protective and security-obsessed suburban Mommas was anticipated, immediate, and extreme. When Paterno quickly fell apart, the evidence began to appear that the "lynch mob" has overplayed its hand.
Why did Penn State terminated Paterno? Nothing to do with mommas and lynch mobs ... Penn State terminated him. The Penn State board cited Paterno's failure to report Sandusky's suspected assault to the police. Why did they terminated Graham Spanier. Notice that is not mommas and lynch mobs but Penn State doing a CYA.

Quote:
I want to know whiy McQueary and those close to him have done everything possib;e not to allow a closer scruitiny of their side of the story, and if there is any evidence of an organized effort among those with a particular goal other than simple criminal justice ... the identity of those interests needs to be just as thoroughly examined.
If the case does go to trial (he may cop a deal who knows) I am sure McQueary and the others will be put through the wringer by a good prosecution team. In addition there will be young men testifying exactly what Sandusky subjected them to.

Quote:
Beyond that point, I do believe that a fair trial is possible locally. State College is a diverse and highly-educated community ... not exactly a "coal patch".
That is a low blow, I do not think anyone on this forum has referred to State College, PA as a 'coal patch' ... we all realize Penn State is an excellent University. Unfortunately the Sandusky scandal will always be remember as that Penn State assistant coach ... Second Mile will only be remembered as yeah he had some sort of charity he sponsored.

I am not a lynch mob or a crazy momma just stating facts. I realize you love your alma mater and you probably received a great education at the university. People will never remember the names Graham Spanier, Tim Curley and Gary Schultz ... I don't know about McQueary ... but people won't forget the name Sandusky and connected it with Penn State U.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:46 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I realize you love your alma mater and you probably received a great education at the university. People will never remember the names Graham Spanier, Tim Curley and Gary Schultz ... I don't know about McQueary ... but people won't forget the name Sandusky and connected it with Penn State U.
Well, it appears we have managed "to agree to disagree" in a respectful manner. That, at least, is a start.

I'm not interested in covering up for anybody. If it cn be proven that Sandusky violated either the law or the accepted standards of morality, then whatever he gets, he deserves.

But the fact remains that the shifting of roles and responsibilities among the sexes, which began in earnest about forty years ago, has created a paralell shift at some points of our moral compass. And major shifts lead to extremes, and the potential for abuse on both sides of the issue.

That shift, in turn, creates immense opportunities for those who see themselves, rightly or wrongly, as exerting extra influence in the Court of Public Opinion. And there are few better examples of these interests than Political Correctness vs, the Culture of Sport ... which collided head-on.

It should also be recognized that a substantial portion of the "sheer outrage" advocacy springs from abuses atributed to Catholic clergy, who have a much stronger, and more-instituionalized "old boys network" that doesn't exist in public institutions,

and that examples of over-reaction by that "sheer outrage" element do exist ... not only in the Duke case, but in Los Angeles' McMartin preschool prosecutions of over a decade ago.

And finally, that the "family/promote from within" ethic which dominated Penn State football for eighty years was copied by a number of other major football programs ... Nebraska (I lived in Omaha for about a year) and Alabama being two of the most successful examples. (And I'm citing, measuring, and documenting that success in terms of things like graduation rates and "walk-on" participation, not win/loss ratios,) That ethic was immediately, and specifically targeted in the rush to judgement.

With Paterno gone (but ironically, assigned a more unique place in the history of sport) the focus of the investigation should shift to exactly what happened, and in context with what happened at other institutions. That is the "fair trial" everyone desrves.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 02-06-2012 at 06:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime