Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 12:53 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,665,551 times

Advertisements

Anyone watch any of the HBO series about this? I remember this case, but not in great detail. It is pretty disturbing to say the least.

Episode 1--

https://www.hbo.com/atlantas-missing...-lost-children

Some more info on it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/...-cases-n985896
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 04:19 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,346,774 times
I remember being very young when this was going on and people saying they hoped it was a black person because a white person would ignite riots. I didn't get what they meant but it stuck with me.
I'm not sure who's book it was, John Douglas' or Roy Hazelwood's, where they talked about visiting the crime scenes and noticing that everyone is staring at them. The black officer with them said it's because they never see a white person. Right then he knew the murderer was black, a white guy stands out and would be remembered.
Wayne Williams is delusional, the craziest narcissist I've seen. There's an interview where he talks about being part of a special CIA training school and other off the wall foolishness. He is good for some but not all of the murders. I understand the families wanting closure and their need to know what happened. At this point I think DNA is their best hope.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:06 AM

134 posts, read 108,956 times
Wayne Williams is hoping to get a new trial..He managed to get a bunch of very left wing, well known attorneys to help him.. He was a weird duck and he got caught red handed throwing Nathanial Caters body off the bridge..

Basically, a legal decision was made to only charge him with killing the two older men - Nathanial Cater and Jimmy Ray Payne..- who were in their 20s. So many of the people in the community used that as an excuse to say that they did not believe he was the killer of the children.

The killings stopped after Wayne was arrested. It appears to most sensible people that he's guilty as sin.

Last edited by johnnie mae; 05-12-2020 at 11:24 AM..

Old 05-12-2020, 12:12 PM

From what I saw on the series they had a lot of evidence against him. They showed a grid w/ all of the victim's names on it and marked each piece of evidence found that tied Williams to that particular victim. Some victims had high numbers of evidence, some had lower, but I think most had some. Many fibers found on victims were tied to Williams' carpet, dog and other fibers at his house.

He was seen w/ more than 1 victim, prior, people had testified.

One of the children who was murdered, his brother was coming home and ran into Williams. He said he was coming upstairs for him, he saw him up close and felt threatened. He yelled and ran into the women's house he had just come out of...or he said he would have been killed, too. He id'd him from a lineup.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:43 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,993,050 times
At best he's not guilty of all murders attributed to him. Williams is definitely a murderer.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:58 AM

2,448 posts, read 895,257 times
These "documentaries" that purport to lay out the facts of the case, but really present mostly one-sided perspectives will begin to have deleterious consequences as they multiply. Because they are consumed mostly by gullible, naive viewers, there will be more pressure to free guilty as sin perps like Wayne Williams in the future. People who do not know better and haven't looked at all the evidence are swayed by these pseudodocumentaries.

"Making a Murderer" is another fine example of a guilty as sin perp who may benefit from Hollywood taking up his cause.

Here's another one: https://thebulwark.com/the-problem-w...n-they-see-us/

Old 05-13-2020, 02:54 PM

This series, for the most part, presented pretty well on all sides, but most presented their case as guilty and maybe guilty (family members). Some of the families thought he was not guilty though.

Old 05-19-2020, 04:29 AM

928 posts, read 971,012 times
He's the right guy.

Old 05-19-2020, 04:32 AM

928 posts, read 971,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
At best he's not guilty of all murders attributed to him. Williams is definitely a murderer.
Yes. No doubt, they did a good job catching him, not easy.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:54 AM

5,896 posts, read 6,966,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnie mae View Post
He was a weird duck and he got caught red handed throwing Nathanial Caters body off the bridge.

I seem to recall reading that the cops under the bridge were asleep at the time the body was thrown over. It was the splash that woke them up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime