Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 09:37 PM

7,633 posts, read 8,699,793 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been following this case? Florida State University law professor Dan Markel's murder case update LINK HERE.

I'm highly suspicious of the ex-wife hiring a hitman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 02:42 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,646,091 times
I am on to that one, as well. I got a strong feeling a woman is involved, as well, but I feel like it may be a girlfriend. I just feel strongly that a female was behind it.

Here's the latest:
TALLAHASSEE: Questions remain in shooting death of FSU professor - Breaking News - MiamiHerald.com

A few other details are coming out. He published an entry on his blog about the death penalty 36 hours before this happened.

His ex-wife arranged to leave when she knew he would be gone. She blindsided him with the divorce. Sounds like she was scared.

Who took the photo of that car? From above? Did the neighbor who heard the shot and called police get a look at it, and then the police caught the image of a car similar to the description near the scene? From one of those cameras posted around stop lights?

It happened around 11 a.m. on a Friday morning. Someone knew his schedule. Probably easy to find online within some circles. But my hunch is still that it's female-related.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
A few other details are coming out. He published an entry on his blog about the death penalty 36 hours before this happened.

His ex-wife arranged to leave when she knew he would be gone. She blindsided him with the divorce. Sounds like she was scared.
This is interesting thought that didn't occur to me. However, they divorced a year ago; was there already any potential threat related to his death penalty views back then?

Old 07-26-2014, 02:11 PM

3,644 posts, read 4,494,397 times
Terrible. A similar incident occurred here in North Carolina. UNC Chapel Hill research professor was robbed and beaten in broad daylight (1PM) on a lunch-time walk like 2 blocks from campus. He died from his injuries.

UNC professor dies after Chapel Hill mugging :: WRAL.com

Very sad.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:26 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,552,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Has anyone been following this case? Florida State University law professor Dan Markel's murder case update LINK HERE.

I'm highly suspicious of the ex-wife hiring a hitman.
Why would she want to kill him? So she could move?Seems extreme?

Old 07-26-2014, 04:48 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,646,091 times
Now this: Baffling murder of the Harvard law scholar: Professor killed in 'hit' was targeted two days after writing impassioned essay on the death penalty and getting a new girlfriend | Mail Online

"Markel's happy home was turned upside down in September 2012 when Adelson filed for divorce.

"As the case moved through the courts, Markel's attorney's claimed that their client was stunned and that Adelson had upped and left the home with their children while he was away for a short business trip.

"'This abrupt and cruel departure shocked Mr. Markel, who, in a six-year marriage unmarked by any abuse, addiction or infidelity, was devoted to his wife and children,' his attorneys wrote.

"'For six weeks, Ms. Adelson gave no correct information regarding where she lived with the children."

I think this also indicates she was afraid of him. She also tried to get another job in a different city.

And when he was shot, he had a new girlfriend. Wonder who he might have dated from October 2012 until recently?

I just don't know. He was passionately against the death penalty. It also sounds as though he was also extremely religious; got engaged overlooking the Sea of Galilee; his sons called him Abba, Hebrew for "father," and his sons' middle names were Amichai and Jonah.

Some people who hold very passionate beliefs can be rigid in thought and action.

I don't suspect the wife; they were still struggling over heirlooms and other issues re: the divorce. But what if a new man in HER life got angry on her behalf?

Still feel a woman is linked to it.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:19 PM

175 posts, read 256,533 times
Quote:
Now this: Baffling murder of the Harvard law scholar: Professor killed in 'hit' was targeted two days after writing impassioned essay on the death penalty and getting a new girlfriend | Mail Online

"Markel's happy home was turned upside down in September 2012 when Adelson filed for divorce.

"As the case moved through the courts, Markel's attorney's claimed that their client was stunned and that Adelson had upped and left the home with their children while he was away for a short business trip.

"'This abrupt and cruel departure shocked Mr. Markel, who, in a six-year marriage unmarked by any abuse, addiction or infidelity, was devoted to his wife and children,' his attorneys wrote.

"'For six weeks, Ms. Adelson gave no correct information regarding where she lived with the children."

I think this also indicates she was afraid of him. She also tried to get another job in a different city.

And when he was shot, he had a new girlfriend. Wonder who he might have dated from October 2012 until recently?

I just don't know. He was passionately against the death penalty. It also sounds as though he was also extremely religious; got engaged overlooking the Sea of Galilee; his sons called him Abba, Hebrew for "father," and his sons' middle names were Amichai and Jonah.

Some people who hold very passionate beliefs can be rigid in thought and action.

I don't suspect the wife; they were still struggling over heirlooms and other issues re: the divorce. But what if a new man in HER life got angry on her behalf?

Still feel a woman is linked to it.

Could he have had a girlfriend he rejected over the latest one?

Old 07-26-2014, 05:57 PM

175 posts, read 256,533 times
Okay, I just read the article about this in the Tallahassee newspaper and it said he was shot in his garage and his keys were still in his Honda Accord's ignition. I think it was road rage! Someone was mad, followed him home and shot him when he got out of his car! That's my opinion.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:04 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,552,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kv7370 View Post
Okay, I just read the article about this in the Tallahassee newspaper and it said he was shot in his garage and his keys were still in his Honda Accord's ignition. I think it was road rage! Someone was mad, followed him home and shot him when he got out of his car! That's my opinion.

Interesting theory. Aren't they looking for a Prius?

Old 07-26-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
He was passionately against the death penalty.
I don't see that being a motive. He's just an academic, not a decision maker, not a judge. What can one gain from murdering him? OTOH, the exwife and he still had ongoing disputes about custody and finance even a year after divorce. I read somewhere she filed for divorce and it was a highly contentious divorce. The fact that the exwife moved out with children while he's away for a short trip doesn't give me any good impression of the exwife. Why would she be afraid of him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv7370 View Post
I think it was road rage! Someone was mad, followed him home and shot him when he got out of his car!
The simplest and most benign scenario! (Actually, come to think of it, it would be scary as hell, too: road rage leading to murder?)

It's not clear if he was leaving home or had just returned home. Is it mentioned anywhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime