Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 10:41 AM

7,634 posts, read 8,701,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv7370 View Post
NEW update: ABCnews.com says he was pulling into his driveway and on his cell phone (maybe calling the police?) when this car pulled in and the person shot him. To me, that is road rage. Keys still in the ignition. I doubt his car was even turned off yet! Horrible.
I just watched it on abcnews. It says the killer had been waiting in the driveway when he drove home, then followed him into the garage and shot him through the window from the side. Markel was on the phone with someone and said "someone is in the driveway". So very much like a hitman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 11:02 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
I just watched it on abcnews. It says the killer had been waiting in the driveway when he drove home, then followed him into the garage and shot him through the window from the side. Markel was on the phone with someone and said "someone is in the driveway". So very much like a hitman.

This confirms my suspicions of the ex wife yep screams hit man to me as well . I guess we will find out soon enough .

Old 07-28-2014, 11:30 AM

175 posts, read 256,555 times
Quote:

Well then they changed it! I didn't watch it, I"read" it on ABC news, this morning, and it didn't say someone was waiting in his driveway. That does change the whole picture. WOW. If the wife is scared, I find it hard to believe she did this, but, maybe she got someone mad enough to do it, her father? her brother? a colleague? I've read cases where this has happened.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:19 PM

The single gunshot had to be accurate, so professional hitman is the most likely.

What I'm not getting is what everyone is saying about how ridiculous it was for a hitman to drive a Toyota Prius. What of it?

Oh, by the way, that female ABCnews TV anchor ended the report by saying "Fascinating!". I can't believe it!

Last edited by snowmountains; 07-28-2014 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-28-2014, 01:19 PM

175 posts, read 256,555 times
Quote:
The single gunshot had to be accurate, so professional hitman is the most likely.

What I'm not getting is what everyone is saying about how ridiculous it was for a hitman to drive a Toyota Pirus. What of it?

Oh, by the way, that female ABCnews TV anchor ended the report by saying "Fascinating!". I can't believe it!

I agree about the Prius. It could have even been a rental! What difference does it make. As far as the news anchor, ABC is not too swift. They have lots of complaints.
I can't imagine Anyone being mad enough to kill someone. This case is quite a puzzler, in my opinion.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:54 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergofa View Post
Why would she want to kill him? So she could move?Seems extreme?
I know of a man whose ex trumped up sex abuse charges so that she could move out of state to be with her new love. He was opposing her taking their kid to another state....so....voila....sex abuse charges.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:05 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,646,380 times
Now they say he was talking on the phone when he heard/saw a car in his driveway and hung up, thus leaving the keys in the ignition. He was surprised/alarmed.

Law professor was 'on the phone when he saw killer in his driveway who followed him' | Mail Online

Still say it could be road rage, or someone was waiting for him to show up to shoot him. Still think a woman involved, even indirectly -- maybe she didn't know this was going to happen. Could have been a boyfriend of his ex-wife. One of his ex-girlfriends or students.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:20 PM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
One shot killed him.

Waiting in driveway.

Sounds like a hit.

Might be ex. Might be any number of people depending on what professor was involved in besides teaching the law.

FSU sounds like quite the hotbed of marital mishaps. Elizabeth Dewberry, wife of an FSU professor, left him to become one of Ted Turners mistresses some years ago. No hitman involved, however.

CNN founder Ted Turner 'spends one week each month with a different girlfriend' - Telegraph

Old 07-29-2014, 12:12 AM

Here are more detailed about the scene.

And here:
'So it seems that Markel briefly saw the person who shot him. ... legal analyst Dan Abrams notes that any statement by Markel describing his attacker would be admissible, hearsay concerns notwithstanding, as a “dying declaration.”'

'Markel described the day Adelson left him as his “Pearl Harbor,” friends told ABC News. Markel told friends that, without warning, Adelson had packed up the house and the children and left while he was away on a business trip.'

I'm not familiar with Toyota Prius. What has it to do with environment and hitman?

As for that ex-wife, she's capable of blindsiding him in such a cruel and tricky way, it wouldn't be surprising if she's capable of things more sinister.

Here are my questions: if a hitman is arrested and confessed who hired him, will both the hitman and the person who hired him get the same sentence? If not, who gets the more severe one? How often is a hitman caught? (Doesn't seem to happen much?) Do most of them confess? (I guess so? Why would they want to protect the other person?)

Last edited by snowmountains; 07-29-2014 at 12:28 AM..

Old 07-29-2014, 06:31 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
Quote:
Here are more detailed about the scene.

And here:

'Markel described the day Adelson left him as his “Pearl Harbor,” friends told ABC News. Markel told friends that, without warning, Adelson had packed up the house and the children and left while he was away on a business trip.'

As for that ex-wife, she's capable of blindsiding him in such a cruel and tricky way, it wouldn't be surprising if she's capable of things more sinister.
To pack up the children and skeedadle while duh hubby is out of the house is common practice for women who are abused. The most dangerous time is leaving. It is not uncommon for women to be take a beating or even be killed during the separation process. Getting you and the kids to a safe place where the spouse cannot get to you is a wise and often recommended move.

A sinister, cruel, and tricky move would be to hire an attorney, empty the bank accounts, and accuse the spouse of sexual molestation of the kids. As far as I've read, she's done none of these things.

Markel's statement about the day she left as "Pearl Harbor" seems odd to me, as if he thought this was a sneak attack. As far as I've read, there was no attack at all but rather an escape.

Either he is totally clueless about his marriage or thought he had her under control. Otherwise, why the surprise at her leaving?

Having no information about the man except what I've read, my money's on he's a controlling horse's patoot who pi##ed off the wrong person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime