Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 02:21 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I think that judge started it by talking to that lady in an obviously made-up, funny accent which caused her to start laughing at everything he said from then on.
This was in Miami and both the judge and teen are hispanic, probably cuban. No fake accents there. She was in prison orange and probably already spent a night in jail so I don't see how she could be high, but it's possible - she sure looked like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 02:33 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter Jolly View Post
hell no..that kid should be locked up..how disrespectful. Even if I have a parking ticket, I come in fearful, and respectful of the judge, and everything is no mamn, yes mamn, no sir, yes sir. People like this shouldnt live
you would propose that she should be put to death?

Old 02-06-2013, 04:42 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Low standards huh?
****bow my head in shame*****
Yep!

Old 02-06-2013, 05:46 PM

270 posts, read 488,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter Jolly View Post
hell no..that kid should be locked up..how disrespectful. Even if I have a parking ticket, I come in fearful, and respectful of the judge, and everything is no mamn, yes mamn, no sir, yes sir. People like this shouldnt live
Seriously...I had to go to court once for a speeding ticket and was a bundle of shaking nerves!! I would never feel comfortable (or disrespectful) enough to crack a smile, let alone sass the judge!

Old 02-06-2013, 06:23 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
A very foolish young lady.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:46 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times
While I am absolutely opposed our idiotic and expensive Drug War, those in power demand respect (kissing butt) and punish those who don't give it--always throughout human history.

In the video clip, the girl is obviously immature and was unable to control her natural reaction when the judge, out the blue, did something totally unexpected and extremely hurtful to her. I, like the vast majority of people, certainly would have been thinking exactly what she was.

In a country with free speech, we should all be able to swear at someone who hurts us (particularly someone who is going out of their way to hurt us excessively, for no reason). This unfortunately conflicts with not only the need of the Justice System to keep order, but with the excessive egos of our grossly pampered Judges. It is sad and disturbing to see the Judge lash out in such a vindictive and childish manner, using his power to keep order under "Contempt of Court" as instead a weapon to make himself feel powerful. The girl was leaving and was in no way disturbing the order of the Court, and therefore she should not have been punished by a Judge who is simply being petty and vindictive.

And here we have a perfect example of how power corrupts--and why the people should keep as much power as possible out the hands of our government officials. Even on the lowest levels of power, people like this Judge simply cannot stop themselves from hurting others while stroking their own egos and getting drunk on their own power.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:26 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
While I am absolutely opposed our idiotic and expensive Drug War, those in power demand respect (kissing butt) and punish those who don't give it--always throughout human history.

In the video clip, the girl is obviously immature and was unable to control her natural reaction when the judge, out the blue, did something totally unexpected and extremely hurtful to her. I, like the vast majority of people, certainly would have been thinking exactly what she was.

In a country with free speech, we should all be able to swear at someone who hurts us (particularly someone who is going out of their way to hurt us excessively, for no reason). This unfortunately conflicts with not only the need of the Justice System to keep order, but with the excessive egos of our grossly pampered Judges. It is sad and disturbing to see the Judge lash out in such a vindictive and childish manner, using his power to keep order under "Contempt of Court" as instead a weapon to make himself feel powerful. The girl was leaving and was in no way disturbing the order of the Court, and therefore she should not have been punished by a Judge who is simply being petty and vindictive.

And here we have a perfect example of how power corrupts--and why the people should keep as much power as possible out the hands of our government officials. Even on the lowest levels of power, people like this Judge simply cannot stop themselves from hurting others while stroking their own egos and getting drunk on their own power.
I don't see it that way - "contempt of court" is standard jurisprudence and exists in every court in the world. It's nothing uncommon at all, there are laws on the books about it, and knuckleheads go to jail for it all the time. This is nothing new, and I am surpised it got publicity. Judges might sentence a defendant for contempt for simply yawning, never mind saying "F.U." to the judge. He also gave her a warning about finding the court amusing, something she chose to ignore. Hey I resist and distrust authority just as much as anyone else, but order in court must be maintained. Yelling, laughing, swearing, being stupid - the court is not the place for it. This young lady obviously has issues - 30 days will probably give her a good reality check on life. She will probably be out sooner. If he was being vindictive the judge had other more viscious tools in his tool chest to use.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:41 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,216 times
Let's break it down. Mind you, I have my own opinion on the subject. However, one should note that acting a fool before a judge as though any reasonable and or prudent person would consider foolish public behavior can have the judge act swiftly. Barney Style- Act appropriately before authorities.

Now she was clearly in contempt of court. There are two forms of contempt and one is in the form of the judge's discretion. One type is the violation of a court order such as not appearing after being served "papers" requesting that you appear in court. That is treated as any other crime. Then you have the other form of contempt which is called a Summary Offense. An example of a summary offense is public nudity, driving reckless (less than a misdemeanor). In most states, the judge has sole discretion as to what the court of law would deem a summary offense. He can act swiftly especially being that in his presence and lock you up right there.

However, there is a big but! You will have the opportunity to return before the judge and "purge" yourself of contempt. So don't be thinking she will actually do the full 30 days. Now, you will be given an opportunity to return to the courtroom and purge yourself of the contempt. If you choose not purge and have been found in contempt more than a few times, then you will face jail time. The grace of law can only extend so far. But the law is on your side and you are not thrown in some rat hole without an opportunity to purge.

So, clearly the judge acted quickly and justly under his discretion based on emotion. If this is an ongoing tactic then he should not abuse his power due to the nature of the incident. In this case no one was in danger or did it violate anyone's personal privacy with malicious intent- however, based on the judge's experience, he could have reasonably perceived her as a flight risk especially due to her behavior, drug usage, and inibility to focus. If it was an isolated incident and he was making an example, then well done- . But still, she will have the opportunity to purge and Im sure she either knew that from past appearings as a juvenile or next time, she will have her jumpers starched, pressed and hair up in a bun....

Old 02-07-2013, 08:03 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
He was doing her a favor. That girl is going to just get in deeper trouble if she doesn't take that lifestyle seriously and actually think about what she is getting into.

She was moving script meds...So where did she get them? Steal them? Dealer?

She is going to giggle like that and flip her hair at the wrong person and it will be over for her. The law can give you 30 days but a criminal will give you whatever they feel like.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:29 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,190,523 times
I saw this on the news. My guess is she didn't learn a thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime