Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 10:30 AM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times

Advertisements

O.K. that's the question folks. Consider it all - the possible role that genetics
could have upon your grandkids. The fact that the person has not yet committed an act of violence. The fact that your adult child would be connected to and surrounded in a degree of infamy.- and by extension so would you.
On the same note - Would yourself date a first degree relative of someone like that???
Why? Why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 06:57 AM

192 posts, read 436,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmc1960 View Post
I would never date a person related to a killer or anyone that committed a violent crime. Since I am an
investigator, I do thorough background checks on anyone I dated or anyone a friend or family was going to date.
And yet somehow you're still single?

Regarding violent behavior, I wonder how strong the effect of "genetics" really is. Certainly, children who are raised by abusive caretakers are themselves more likely to become violent - but I suspect that is largely the result of "nurture" rather than "nature". So, I suppose it would depend somewhat on the circumstances (i.e. was this person raised in the same environment, and/or has similar issues?), but I wouldn't be too concerned about "bad genes" getting passed along to offspring.

Plus, think of the potential for acquiring "murderbilia"! (wrong thread? )

Old 07-15-2010, 10:48 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,229,538 times
Nothing. I would spend more time worrying if they were involved with the run of the mill gangbanger or relatives that were gangbanging. Not because of what people think but because there is such a high risk of being shot as guilt by association or mistaken identity or some he said/she said crap or that it puts the entire family in immediate harm.

Sheena, your riding dangerously close to the eugenics movement. You may think that this is off topic but I feel compelled to state this.

There is no genetic/hereditary basis for crime. None. Although, there were proponents of this prior to Cesare Lombroso (1835-1909), he is the most famous for this. Avatism states that many people evolve but many people devolve to their original ancestors and that this is shown in physical characteristics. The born criminal/hereditary. Where are we at? Social Darwinism. Is he alone?

The first eugenics law is passed in 1907 in Indiana. However, not enough people are being sterilized based on that hereditary element so Harry Laughlin develops what is called the Model Law Harry Laughlin's Model Law (http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~wellerst/laughlin/ - broken link)

You may recognize this format in the 1933 Law for the Prevention of Hereditarily Diseased Offspring in Nazi Germany.

One of the groups that they are sterilizing is "criminals". Like here in Oklahoma Oklahoma Eugenics
You will notice that there is a SC case that starts in McAlestar
This is the case: Skinner v Oklahoma
FindLaw | Cases and Codes

Please note that it does not end sterilization.

Even the xyy theory was discounted and it wasn't heriditary.

Anytime that you come across data that states that any aspect of crime is hereditary then you need to look at who is funding that puppy. Why? Because we still have a eugenics movement. See this group:
About Us . Click on Founders.

Your probably not going to recognize it as something like that, your probably going to run into it like this: UAHC - Reform Judaism Magazine

Now, would I date someone who was related by first degree to a notorious murderer? I have no idea. I'm not out hunting people down to date. I would think that initially I would have no knowledge of the fact and it would just go from there. Now, am I willing to date someone whose family has a history of schizophrenia? Hell, no. I would caution my child against that.

Again, my apologies if you believe that I was off topic.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:19 AM

13,406 posts, read 28,739,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbbphh View Post
And yet somehow you're still single?

Regarding violent behavior, I wonder how strong the effect of "genetics" really is. Certainly, children who are raised by abusive caretakers are themselves more likely to become violent - but I suspect that is largely the result of "nurture" rather than "nature". So, I suppose it would depend somewhat on the circumstances (i.e. was this person raised in the same environment, and/or has similar issues?), but I wouldn't be too concerned about "bad genes" getting passed along to offspring.

Plus, think of the potential for acquiring "murderbilia"! (wrong thread? )

Agree
Too many variables for a simple yes or no answer....

Old 07-15-2010, 02:03 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,007,888 times
I saw an interview with the sister of John Wayne Gacy not too long ago and she had this problem. All of her friends and anyone she knew fell off the face of the earth when they found out she was his sister. I think that's really sad. When he was executed, no one called her to check in on her.

If I were held responsible for all the things my brother has done in the past, I probably wouldn't have many friends either. Fact is that he and I are two very different people and nothing alike.

I think it says more of the people who fear that relation than the innocent person who is related.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:44 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Thi i not hat I asked. I did want to know if you would date one or want your children to marry or date a first degree relative of a serial killer or other type of violent criminal.

I would not shun a fiend who was already a friend if I found this out. But I would not seek out there companionship either.

Marriage and dating opens up a whole other can of genetic worms

if I found out today that one of my closet friend brother sister or other relative had killed a bunch of people OF COURSE I would be supportive and not flee.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:20 AM

407 posts, read 661,029 times
I have known someone for about 15 years, whose father was executed years ago as a serial killer. I wont name names, but she is a wonderful human being and Its a shame that she has had to change her name and hide her past out of fear of being treated badly by the public.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:15 PM

5,584 posts, read 6,514,131 times
I've written before that I am a former Dept. of Corrections employee and that I think convicts are the lowest of the low. When my college student daughter mentioned she went with a couple friends to visit the one friend's boyfriend in one of the many prisons in the state, well, let's just say I wasn't happy, to the point of possible estrangement if this issue was not resolved to my liking, which was NEVER AGAIN was she to go anywhere near a prison, or a convict for that matter. She was NOT raised to be anywhere near a prison, and she knew how both of her parents felt (Dad also a prison employee). I was so angry I threw a half full cup of tea against the wall across the room. SHE came to me a day or two later and made up with me.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:20 PM

5,584 posts, read 6,514,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA11 View Post
I have known someone for about 15 years, whose father was executed years ago as a serial killer. I wont name names, but she is a wonderful human being and Its a shame that she has had to change her name and hide her past out of fear of being treated badly by the public.
Yes, I agree, but a well known "rule" is you are judged by the company you keep. So, her having the same recognizable name as her sperm donor would make it very hard for her to live a "normal by society's standards" life.

I sincerely hope she is doing well considering all that she has surely had to go through.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:57 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,568,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I saw an interview with the sister of John Wayne Gacy not too long ago and she had this problem. All of her friends and anyone she knew fell off the face of the earth when they found out she was his sister. I think that's really sad. When he was executed, no one called her to check in on her.

If I were held responsible for all the things my brother has done in the past, I probably wouldn't have many friends either. Fact is that he and I are two very different people and nothing alike.

I think it says more of the people who fear that relation than the innocent person who is related.
Too sad, I'd have moved out of the country, rather than face the the isolation and judgements from ppl who think I'm genetically predisposed to follow the same path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime