Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 06:30 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times

Advertisements

Two women made the discovery after opening a steamer trunk that had been stored in the apartment building for decades.

LAPD will conduct a full investigation.

Quote:
Inside the bag was a small bundle wrapped in Los Angeles Times newspapers from the 1930s. Xing unpeeled the newspapers and shrank back in horror.

The doctor's satchels contained the mummified remains of two babies.

The women immediately called police, who are now trying to unravel a mystery worthy of Raymond Chandler. Investigators say the babies may have died eight decades ago — although they won't know for sure until tests on the remains are completed.
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,2599502.story

Interesting, they'll perform DNA tests on the bodies. And the woman who the trunk belonged to may have had some connection to the writer of "Peter Pan".

I will follow this case as it unravels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 09:48 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,208,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Two women made the discovery after opening a steamer trunk that had been stored in the apartment building for decades.

LAPD will conduct a full investigation.

Mummified remains of two babies wrapped in 1930s newspapers found - latimes.com

Interesting, they'll perform DNA tests on the bodies. And the woman who the trunk belonged to may have had some connection to the writer of "Peter Pan".

I will follow this case as it unravels.
Wow, that is a trip.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:44 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times
Thats horrible! Not only to find that but those poor babies that were never properly laid to rest.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:21 AM

821 posts, read 861,205 times
Wow how horrifying to discover

Old 08-19-2010, 03:40 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,735 times
I don't know what good DNA testing will do. The babies, had they lived, would now be in their 70's. My mother was born in 1939 and my grandmother is 95. I would think that the mother of these babies would most likely be dead. If not dead, then in a nursing home. What good will it do? Spending money that California doesn't have to solve a case where no one can be prosecuted. An interesting mystery for sure, but not worth the enormous expense. Very sad story.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:16 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBmom View Post
I don't know what good DNA testing will do. The babies, had they lived, would now be in their 70's. My mother was born in 1939 and my grandmother is 95. I would think that the mother of these babies would most likely be dead. If not dead, then in a nursing home. What good will it do? Spending money that California doesn't have to solve a case where no one can be prosecuted. An interesting mystery for sure, but not worth the enormous expense. Very sad story.
I would think in some ways you are right but if nothing else give those two little lives a proper burial ? dont they deserve that ? I would think so .

Old 08-20-2010, 11:22 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
A gruesome discovery. I do hope that there is an invistigation into this crime.Yes, the killer in all likely hood is dead. But these are two human lives that were never d.
Yes it is sad and ironic that the babies bodies were found at what would be near the ends of there natural lives.There are plenty of people who are still alive today who were born in the 1930s and the 1920s. Not all are ill or confined to nursing homes.
What makes a child born in the 1930s less valuable than one born in the 1960s?
They should conduct an investigation and some sort of memorial service and burial should be provided for these infants.
California may be having some fiscal difficulties but these are two human beings. Money should not factor into this.
I too will follow this closely.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:31 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,994,817 times
What gets me is that these babies were found...after 80 YEARS!! I wonder if there was someone who did notice them before...and just never reported it to the police. Hope that wasn't the case. If so, then this case could have been solved decades ago...and their murderer could have be caught. Most likely than not, the one who had murdered them is 6ft under right now. Maybe justice was served in another way throughout the murderer's life. Who knows?

Old 08-24-2010, 12:44 AM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
You are right stressedCollegeGirl, they may well have been "taken care of."
Never underestimate the power of Karma!

Old 08-24-2010, 03:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,908 times
this is so sad they should be able to rest in peace and i think a dna test is not a bad idea so some one could maybe find a kin folk to them to know where to lay them to rest in my op they may have been still born and the mom was young and unmarried and scared or something to that matter but i would like to fallow this as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime