Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 01:28 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
I saw this on the news.. she is from Arkansas. I think the key here is the wait after the 20 miles. Wouldn't the 20 mile mark put her back towards her home?

Edit: This was senseless and personal it sounds like. Could be a hate crime? I do agree that someone knew that she walked this all the time.. but this case has no value in it. She wasn't robbed, she wasn't raped so it had to be of monetary value.
This is a 60-plus mile trail (rail to trail conversion) that goes from Atlanta to the Georgia/Alabama line. There are several on/off points along the trail and people regularly walk, run, bike sections of the trail. There are a few sections that are feel remote, but quickly the path returns to more populated terrain with commercial or residential areas very close by.

A few years ago a woman was biking the trail and was raped and killed. Her murderer is now on death row.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 02:19 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,868 times
Is it possible that this seemingly random attack could be part of an gang initiation rite?

I wish her a speedy recovery and hope her attacker is brought to justice.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:01 PM

983 posts, read 994,986 times
I carry a .357 when I'm out solo in the woods. No one is going to stop me from doing activities I love. I'm not going to be a victim either. Maybe carrying a gun sounds extreme, but they're not all choir boys out there and there are way too many stories of women being attacked in parks and on trails.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:12 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
I recommend women take mace with them on occasions like this. I had a friend years ago that had a stalker almost get inside his house after the stalker waited for my friend to go to work leaving his GF behind at the house. The house was rural, and she was little. The person knew her from college and could not get inside. The GF was able to lock herself in the bathroom and call my friend. He came home, the cops were there and busted the guy. He was wearing a Batman costume and had a six shooter loaded and also had duck tape. My friend had to be held back by cops from destroying this person.

Women, load up on the mace please. Hope she can get the care she needs to make a full recovery.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:23 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
There have been several women that have also gone completely missing in this manner.

In addition to mace and self-defense....consider (if you are comfortable) a small personal firearm.

Frankly, I'd rather have you shoot a guy that intends to rape you and slit your throat than just mace him....because he'll be out in a few years and right back at it until they finally CATCH him for killing someone and put them away for life.

Also, many people don't realize just how much wildlife is expanding into areas where people aren't aware.

I've personally seen a mountain lion with 4 miles of downtown Kansas city.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:13 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,446,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
I think people should always keep their eye out for others- thank god that guy saw her and called 911. We have to watch out for each other. And women- carry pepper spray. Learn some judo. BUT DON"T LET SOME IDIOT SCARE YOU INTO NOT LIVING YOUR LIFE!

The culture in the US has become so insane and increasingly violent that carrying pepper spray is not going to cut it IMO. Also you can't rely on others keeping an eye out for you. Sadly many people now just watch and don't get involved.

For example:

"The attack happened in front of a large crowd of other concertgoers on the lawn of the Xfinity Center, an outdoor amphitheater in Mansfield, Massachusetts, on Saturday night, a police statement said. The rape ended when a woman in the crowd pushed the alleged attacker off the victim and he fled, police said."

Only one woman from the crowd helped!

Teen raped on lawn at Keith Urban show, police say - CNN.com

It's a doggy dog world that we live in and people need to realize that you must watch your own back...that's the world we live in today. We have always lived in a world like this but in the US it has come to a whole new level.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:00 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Very sad indeed

Old 08-06-2014, 08:01 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittheroadjack View Post
This has been happening across the USA, in parks and trails. Any woman, in today's world, that goes alone to parks or trails to run, or camp out, is not thinking of her security at all.

Lots of homeless people on alcohol and hard drugs are also frequenting these places, and using them to sleep.

I agree. Encountered this on a trail here in NY. Saw a man lurking in the bushes wearing a ski mask (this was this past spring.) He started coming around the trail where I was but I slipped out and informed someone nearby who worked at the park. And I am a man and keep my guard way up.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:36 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I agree with the idea that people should not live by fear, but be aware of surroundings and prepared to avert danger whether that is through self-defense techniques, pepper spray, or the best option, being able to run away and/or seek safety around people and public spaces if possible.

I should also point out that men need to consider this also as men are actually far more likely to be victims of random violence than women and despite walking around thinking, "I am a manly man, I can take care of myself.". Even men are very vulnerable to someone who is out to commit violence when you are just walking around minding your own business and unaware of your surroundings.
SO true. Men are statistically less likely to be abducted or attacked in quite this way, but certainly the numbers are higher when it comes to bar fights, random robberies or gang related incidents.

Also- that reminds me- oftentimes when I am walking home from the bus stop, if I see a man walking on the street, I cannot count the times that man has given me a wide berth. Kinda putting some distance between me and him. And every time that happens, I thank god that I am smart enough to know that not every guy is a maniac. There are decent sorts out there. That's a good move if you are approaching a woman on a quiet street and want to set her at ease.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:44 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
The culture in the US has become so insane and increasingly violent that carrying pepper spray is not going to cut it IMO. Also you can't rely on others keeping an eye out for you. Sadly many people now just watch and don't get involved.

For example:

"The attack happened in front of a large crowd of other concertgoers on the lawn of the Xfinity Center, an outdoor amphitheater in Mansfield, Massachusetts, on Saturday night, a police statement said. The rape ended when a woman in the crowd pushed the alleged attacker off the victim and he fled, police said."

Only one woman from the crowd helped!

Teen raped on lawn at Keith Urban show, police say - CNN.com

It's a doggy dog world that we live in and people need to realize that you must watch your own back...that's the world we live in today. We have always lived in a world like this but in the US it has come to a whole new level.
I don't know how many times I have stuck my nose up in people's business and called the cops, locked doors at places I have worked because some weird ex boyfriend is lurking and the cops have to be called and I am the one who called em because his ex girlfriend didn't have the guts, called the cops when I heard screams, waded in with a weapon when fights broke out- I don't recommend this but its just something in me, I can't just sit on my azz and watch some idiocy like a stump.

My philosophy has always been "not on my watch". I WOULD have been that "one woman".

Remember, it was ordinary people who caught the Night Stalker. That has got to be one of the greatest smackdowns in the history of crime. Something like 30 people were chasing that freak through the streets of East L.A. with tire irons screaming "EL MATADOR". He tried to steal a car and grabbed one of the women in his fleeing. I never forget what one of the bystanders said='2 things you don't mess with in a Mexican neighborhood- our women, or our cars".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime