Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 02:45 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,168 times

Advertisements

Husband: Woman beaten on Silver Comet Trail unrecognizable | www.ajc.com

Any new updates on this story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 09:19 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
? - why post this? This isn't the same event is it? At least post a comment to say why this is relevant.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:57 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
As a woman that regularly hikes, bikes and walks alone, I think its important that women remain hyper-vigilant, but remain out there. Its TERRIBLY important, actually. Fear is a great manipulator and the fewer of us out there, living our lives, the easier it is for other women to be attacked.

We recently had a couple of incidents of joggers being attacked here in Griffith Park, and there was a resounding chorus of people saying, "oh, women shouldn't be out at that hour!" That is the WRONG attitude. We have a right to do our thing, and if we do our thing and someone assaults us, we weren't asking for it. We have to live our lives. We can't be captive to an attacker whether he attacks us or not, because that is basically what we do when we capitulate and stop being out in public, in daytime. Which this attack and the attacks on most women out jogging occur.

I think people should always keep their eye out for others- thank god that guy saw her and called 911. We have to watch out for each other. And women- carry pepper spray. Learn some judo. BUT DON"T LET SOME IDIOT SCARE YOU INTO NOT LIVING YOUR LIFE!
For anyone to say that women should not be out at that hour is as stupid as saying that if someone was hit by a drunk driver they should not have been out driving in that location.

The correct attitude is that crimes like this should not be happening in the first place.

I too am a woman who has spent plenty of time hiking, camping and backpacking alone, on trails close to the city and in the remote back country of our national forests. Some may say that I was lucky but luck should have NOTHING to do with it.

Violence, whether against women, men or children should never be considered by society as "what is to be expected".

Old 08-20-2014, 10:24 AM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,872 times
Quote:
I don't know how many times I have stuck my nose up in people's business and called the cops, locked doors at places I have worked because some weird ex boyfriend is lurking and the cops have to be called and I am the one who called em because his ex girlfriend didn't have the guts, called the cops when I heard screams, waded in with a weapon when fights broke out- I don't recommend this but its just something in me, I can't just sit on my azz and watch some idiocy like a stump.

My philosophy has always been "not on my watch". I WOULD have been that "one woman".

Remember, it was ordinary people who caught the Night Stalker. That has got to be one of the greatest smackdowns in the history of crime. Something like 30 people were chasing that freak through the streets of East L.A. with tire irons screaming "EL MATADOR". He tried to steal a car and grabbed one of the women in his fleeing. I never forget what one of the bystanders said='2 things you don't mess with in a Mexican neighborhood- our women, or our cars".
We need more people like you, I too can't just not do anything .

Old 08-20-2014, 10:51 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
For anyone to say that women should not be out at that hour is as stupid as saying that if someone was hit by a drunk driver they should not have been out driving in that location.

The correct attitude is that crimes like this should not be happening in the first place.

I too am a woman who has spent plenty of time hiking, camping and backpacking alone, on trails close to the city and in the remote back country of our national forests. Some may say that I was lucky but luck should have NOTHING to do with it.

Violence, whether against women, men or children should never be considered by society as "what is to be expected".
The people saying that are probably coming from a limited worldview where people shouldn't arm themeselves or take self defense courses etc.

Let's face it, at *some point* regardless of gender there ARE certain places you should not be late at night or things you should not be doing without proper preparation.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:19 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Quote:
I don't know how many times I have stuck my nose up in people's business and called the cops, locked doors at places I have worked because some weird ex boyfriend is lurking and the cops have to be called and I am the one who called em because his ex girlfriend didn't have the guts, called the cops when I heard screams, waded in with a weapon when fights broke out- I don't recommend this but its just something in me, I can't just sit on my azz and watch some idiocy like a stump.

My philosophy has always been "not on my watch". I WOULD have been that "one woman".

Remember, it was ordinary people who caught the Night Stalker. That has got to be one of the greatest smackdowns in the history of crime. Something like 30 people were chasing that freak through the streets of East L.A. with tire irons screaming "EL MATADOR". He tried to steal a car and grabbed one of the women in his fleeing. I never forget what one of the bystanders said='2 things you don't mess with in a Mexican neighborhood- our women, or our cars".
It was a great moment in crime history when they caught up with him, roughed him up and handed him over to the cops. And every time you "stick your nose in someone's business," that's a great moment too. You rock.

I think this would be a very different country to live in if people understood it is the right thing to do to call the cops or step in yourself, or preferably both.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:24 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,074,903 times
There's been other attacks in that area too.

Atlanta News: Woman says man tried to attack her on jogging path | www.ajc.com

Old 08-20-2014, 03:30 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
There's been other attacks in that area too

Atlanta News: Woman says man tried to attack her on jogging path | www.ajc.com
One day he is going to meet the wrong woman and she is going to put something on him that ajax and Clorox together wont take off and yep I would have been that one woman . My philosophy is : See something say something and stick your nose in , it could save a life .

Old 08-20-2014, 08:50 PM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
One day he is going to meet the wrong woman and she is going to put something on him that ajax and Clorox together wont take off and yep I would have been that one woman . My philosophy is : See something say something and stick your nose in , it could save a life .
Just like the guy that has been trying to abduct girls in our area by luring them into his truck....I hope some gal puts a couple slugs into him before he gets somebody else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime