Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 03:03 AM

7,645 posts, read 8,716,940 times

Advertisements

How to companies prevent their employees from stealing customers' identities?

(Joe thanks for the reply #8)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 08:56 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,296,566 times
Employees may be restricted to what type of information they can access, but an employee stealing CC info from a database is, in my opinion, not a major concern. A bigger concern with database management is keeping hackers out; they steal CC info of thousands/tens of thousands plus CC customers at a time. Look at Target's seemingly annual security breach announcements. CC skimmers are a bigger concern. An employee with a skimmer can steal your info in no time and you won't even know it.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:34 AM

One of my relatives once had a fraudulent charge on his credit card. He had never left his credit card away from his person, but after the investigation he was told that the card was physically swiped--in other words, the perp seemed to have possession of the actual card, not just knew the number. How is it possible to do it?

By the way, I think 4 digits for bank ATM PIN is very inadequate for security. I hope they make it at least 5 digits.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:37 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,296,566 times
It is possible for a skilled thief to make a credit card.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:53 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,826,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Employees may be restricted to what type of information they can access, but an employee stealing CC info from a database is, in my opinion, not a major concern. A bigger concern with database management is keeping hackers out; they steal CC info of thousands/tens of thousands plus CC customers at a time. Look at Target's seemingly annual security breach announcements. CC skimmers are a bigger concern. An employee with a skimmer can steal your info in no time and you won't even know it.
Anyone who works at a doctor office can probably access your #SSN from your paper chart or computer when putting in payments. ..anytime they want. ..that is what is bad. ..too many people DO have access...

Old 01-11-2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby snacks View Post
The first happened to me in 1988. I was 11 years old, and my identity was stolen by dear old mom
Lol

Old 01-12-2015, 06:34 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,076,490 times
I work for the Treasury dept. Saw alot of documents coming in w/I.D. theft ppwk. Alot of it stated that while e-filing that's when they found out their id had been stolen.

I, too, have had mine stolen. Contacted everyone I could think of.
Was worried most abt my S.S.check, so I went down to the social security office and they flagged my file online, etc.

Things seem to be ok.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:59 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,839,732 times
I've had mine stolen twice now and used as an alias in a criminal matter. There was a lein put on my house because some fool used my name as an alias.

The first time my info was compromised, I found the person behind it through a little luck and some perseverance. I scared him bad enough that he told me how this crew operates and more. It turned out there was someone working in the billing department at the hospital who would sell ID info individually or in bulk. My info was purchased in a bulk deal. The people who wound up using my info started close to 10 cell phone accounts and set up service with a cable provider and ran up nearly $10,000 in services. I have no clue how you do that. After many hours on the phone, and several notarized affidavits, I finally got everything worked out. I probably spent 60 hours trying to get that mess cleaned up.

The second time was similar to the first, but not as bad. I knew what to do to clean it up and was able to get things cleared up in just a few days.

The guy who caused the AG's office to put a lien on my house was interesting. I found this out 3 days before closing and had to get it handled quickly. Several fruitless phone calls later, I decide to just go to the AG's office. I wasn't taking no for an answer. Showed my ID and some other info and I left with a letter from the AG saying they were releasing the lien. The guy who used my name was ordered to pay north of $100,000 in damages from screwing credit card companies.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:35 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,937,047 times
Add a NEW person to the ID theft.

Important papers were stolen last Feb of 2014 here from my home in Baja Mexico (18 yrs with No problems).

Has taken them a while but things have started showing up with my CC usage and the using problems (my end).

Am in Best Buy yesterday to replace a stolen Laptop and with their BB card still had to go thru a huge hassle...after all at my late age and being face to face with all kinds of ID (VA card, US Passport card + other ID) still the 3rd degree.

I had a very low balance on the card to begin with so will pay everything off in a couple of months and return their card.

Sent back the Capital one via certified mail and asked about a NEW card and have heard ZILCH....they even say that my Password is incorrect (online) when I have used my mothers maiden name and birth yr for over 16 yrs.

With my Passport stolen still have my name RED flagged when crossing the border....lucky I still had my Passport card.

Much more details but all it takes is one person to start the ball rolling in the wrong direction.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:33 PM

854 posts, read 1,706,048 times
When my daughter went to the SS office to report someone has been using her SS # for years, they suggested she does NOT change her SS number. They said a new SS # would be linked to her old one anyway. Does that make sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime