Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 07:25 AM

51 posts, read 57,480 times

Advertisements

I heard a rumour last week in my town that a guy I used to know from school disappeared and can't be located. He was a complete loner and didn't talk to anyone, actually was considered ''polite and good'' by teachers but then he got some mental problems, started using drugs and alcohol (which ironically he swore never to) and the police had to be called because he started stealing to get money. They said if he continued he would be off to prison and if he didn't like his parents, he was free to leave.

Long story-short, he lied to his parents about having a place to live and just left one day. Since he'd sold all his things (phone, computer), having no contact didn't alarm them and honestly his parents didn't really care. That was about 9 months ago.

I am wondering how common is this? We always are told that we are special to someone in this world and everyone has someone to care for them but is that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 08:00 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Its more common then one thinks. People drift apart from friends, have falling out with family. If they have other problems as well they may just bail to start over and they have no contact with anyone. Its a hard thing to do. Its a huge strain psychologically. Holidays hit especially hard for those living this way. Its something a person has to carry. It may be eased a bit if they marry or develop a new social circle.

This post caught my attention, as I had an unexpected falling out with a family member a (due to a Facebook post, a site Im not even on) and a not surprising issue with another family member just this week. That leaves one left I speak with. I do have friends and great in laws though thankfully.

Great post OP. This is a subject that is worth more attention, especially at a time where anxiety, depression and suicides have spiked as it has over the last several years.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:07 AM

1,047 posts, read 1,014,680 times
If I understand the question correctly, it happens commonly and is unremarkable. There is no legal requirement that an adult remain in contact with his parents and acquaintances.

Last edited by deb100; 06-23-2018 at 10:38 AM..

Old 06-23-2018, 02:33 PM

51 posts, read 57,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Its more common then one thinks. People drift apart from friends, have falling out with family. If they have other problems as well they may just bail to start over and they have no contact with anyone. Its a hard thing to do. Its a huge strain psychologically. Holidays hit especially hard for those living this way. Its something a person has to carry. It may be eased a bit if they marry or develop a new social circle.

This post caught my attention, as I had an unexpected falling out with a family member a (due to a Facebook post, a site Im not even on) and a not surprising issue with another family member just this week. That leaves one left I speak with. I do have friends and great in laws though thankfully.

Great post OP. This is a subject that is worth more attention, especially at a time where anxiety, depression and suicides have spiked as it has over the last several years.
It is scary to think that if you were potentially abducted into human trafficking/murdered by a serial killer no one would take notice with no social circle to report you missing as in the OP.

Unscrupulous people must have people in this profile as number 1

Old 06-24-2018, 05:48 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,495,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalecriminale View Post
It is scary to think that if you were potentially abducted into human trafficking/murdered by a serial killer no one would take notice with no social circle to report you missing as in the OP.

Unscrupulous people must have people in this profile as number 1

This is one reason why prostitutes and homeless people are targeted by serial killers so often. No one notices they're missing.

Generally, those of us who have no social circle or family choose that way of living though. Nobody forced this young man to cut off all contact, even though he may have known his parents would be relieved if he did.

[Warning: Conspiracy theory]

What's really scary is if he didn't disappear at all, but the parents were sick of him hanging around and did him in. Do the police have proof that he is actually the one who sold his stuff?

Old 06-24-2018, 05:53 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,457,153 times
In the mid-90s my mother was notified by the apartment manager that my sister seemed to have left, leaving everything she owned behind--food in the frig, dishes, clothes, car out front. Like she just walked out to get the mail and never came back.

By that time she'd alienated so many people in the family that no one reported her missing. My mother dealt with bill collector calls for years.

She popped up some 15 years later after a death in the family to inquire as to "her share" and commented that she could have been found if people had looked hard enough. Meh.

Everyone generally starts with connections. But it's up to the person to maintain the connections or one day you find that the bridges have all been burnt and no one really cares about you anymore.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:04 PM

17,596 posts, read 15,266,523 times
I think it's less common.. I mean, almost everyone has SOMEONE who will miss them. Co-workers.. A relative, a friend.. SOMEONE.

A few do, however, fall through the cracks.. A good example is Jason Callahan, aka Grateful Doe.. A good case that i'd think most everyone here would be familiar with?

He disappeared and died in 1995.. His mother didn't report him missing until 2015.

And, of course, you hear about the people who are elderly and die alone in their homes and aren't discovered for years.

but, these are generally the exceptions, not the rule.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:12 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
How are we supposed to know how many people go missing unreported... if people don't report them as missing?

Old 06-28-2018, 11:46 AM

17,596 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
How are we supposed to know how many people go missing unreported... if people don't report them as missing?
well.. I rely on cases that I see where someone is missing and never, or only reported missing after a long time. The Grateful Doe case that I mentioned before.. Lori Richardson.. Lori Reaves Richardson | Unsolved Mysteries Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia

And Walter Rice who STILL hasn't technically been reported missing.. Heirs of Walter Rice | Unsolved Mysteries Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia

Old 06-28-2018, 01:18 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I think it's less common.. I mean, almost everyone has SOMEONE who will miss them. Co-workers.. A relative, a friend.. SOMEONE.
Not totally true. There are some people who don't have a single soul living who cares about them. They are all dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime