Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2011, 04:21 PM

339 posts, read 833,020 times

Advertisements

Where can I get some state and Federal Income tax booklettes and forms in Tucson? In the state I was living in before I used to get them from the post office or library but here I can't find them. Where can I get the books for state and Federal taxes and do I have to file state taxes if I haven't lived here for a full year?

I tried google but I can't get any answers from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 04:46 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~PaperMoon~ View Post
Where can I get some state and Federal Income tax booklettes and forms in Tucson? In the state I was living in before I used to get them from the post office or library but here I can't find them. Where can I get the books for state and Federal taxes and do I have to file state taxes if I haven't lived here for a full year?

I tried google but I can't get any answers from it.
It's early yet, W-2s aren't even due until 1/31, although many are out already. The post offices may have them soon, or Google says there's an IRS office at 300 W Congress. Most of the state and fed forms are also available online.

And yes, I think you do have to file in AZ. www.azdor.gov should have that answer for you. Here's a bit of info, from that site:

Arizona's personal income tax is levied on residents and
on nonresidents earning income in Arizona.
The starting
point for Arizona's individual income tax computation
for resident individuals is the federal adjusted gross
income (Arizona gross income). This amount is then
subject to certain additions and subtractions to arrive at
Arizona taxable income. Since the starting point for the
Arizona income tax computation for resident individuals
is the federal adjusted gross income, income taxable for
federal purposes will likewise be taxable for Arizona
purposes, unless such income is specifically excludable
under Arizona law.
All income earned or received while you are a resident
(if taxable to the federal government) is taxable to
Arizona with a few exceptions.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:55 PM

444 posts, read 1,352,367 times
Post offices stopped stocking these a few years ago to try and push people online as the forms are expensive to produce.
If you received pay in Arizona, you have to file an income tax return with both the feds and the state. If you use online services like TaxACT or TurboTax, they'll offer to do both the federal and state returns for you, but will charge you for the state return. In past years, it's cost about $12. You can download the form online from the official state web site and do it yourself though. It's actually much easier to do than the 1040, as long as you don't have complications like capital gains, massive, itemized deductions, etc. If you do, then you should probably get an accountant.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:03 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,575,923 times
IRS Tax Center - Free Online Tax Preparation, Tax Extension

You might try here, too. It's the Government's IRS website.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:16 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,781,476 times
If you've sold stock, TurboTax is 50 Bucks, but they do a great job. It has gotten better over the years.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:24 PM

339 posts, read 833,020 times
Okay cool thanks guys yeah that helps to know. So I guess I'm too early, I will check at the IRS office downtown. Okay yes I think I have to file for the state too then. Thanks that info helps.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:18 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
I've been using this software for a few years - I find it very efficient and well priced.

Express1040® FREE tax return preparation, file federal & state taxes online, efile service
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: