Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 10:32 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times

Advertisements

This is a genuine question for Tucson residents, why is there so much dislike toward Phoenix and anything related to it. For example, if you go to stores in Phoenix, you will see nearly equal U of A, ASU merchandise. In Tucson, it's only U of A. In Phoenix, they show all of the Tucson related sports on television. In Tucson, they don't even show Suns games. That would make sense if Tucson had it's own NBA team but you won't follow the Suns because it has the word 'Phoenix' in front of it althought it's the only NBA team in the state? If you talk to people in Phoenix, they will say positive things about Tucson even if it's smaller like it has better weather or they will say nice things about the U of A campus and the artsy nature of the city or it's really pretty. In Tucson, they only talk about how hot Phoenix is or how there is too much traffic or there is too many people there. I spend nearly half my time in Phoenix and Tucson currently due to my job and I enjoy living in both cities. It's surprising to hear the animosity toward Phoenix down here.

I'm not trying to create a Tucson vs Phoenix drama. I like the state of Arizona and that includes all the cities in it. I think Tucson is a very different city than Phoenix but it's a nice city. I prefer Phoenix but I like Tucson but why is there so much anti-Phoenix sentiment from Tucson residents?

Last edited by azriverfan.; 03-11-2011 at 10:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 07:26 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
With all due respect, AZRiver . . .

Are you certain your imagination is running wild?

I've lived in Tucson for over a decade and travel to the Phoenix area frequently, in fact, I'm in Phoenix right now, and I have never perceived anything close to what you describe.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:32 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Maricopa County is the majority of the states population so when the old codgers there decide to destroy the school systems , medicare and elect people like Russ Pearce or Frau Blucher the whole state suffers

Old 03-12-2011, 09:50 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Peenix envy.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:02 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,748,035 times
I lived in Phoenix for 14 years and now 22 years in Tucson. Both places have their plusses and minuses. I live in Tucson/Oro Valley by choice, but if I had to move The Valley of the Sun would certainly be my next choice.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:58 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Peenix envy.
Thank you!

Old 03-12-2011, 09:46 PM

Old 03-12-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
With all due respect, AZRiver . . .

Are you certain your imagination is running wild?

I've lived in Tucson for over a decade and travel to the Phoenix area frequently, in fact, I'm in Phoenix right now, and I have never perceived anything close to what you describe.
Did I imagine Tucson not showing Suns games on television too? Is basketball something that is only enjoyed in Phoenix? Even if you want to debate the subjective comments in my post, you can't dispute the objective aspects like the lack of Suns games or ASU merchandise in stores in Tucson whereas you will find nearly equal University of Arizona to ASU merchandise all over the Valley. It's even difficult to find ASU games on television here whereas in Phoenix, you can easily find U of A games either on Fox Sports or one of the local channels.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:34 PM

368 posts, read 638,772 times
tucson is one of the best places ive ever lived..phoenix is one of the worst.tucson is a beautiful area,phoenix has the least to offer of any city of 4 million people..the downtown is non existant.it seems dirty and flat if you can believe that..im just glad that tucsons growth has been relatively manageable..its still a great place to live

Old 03-12-2011, 11:50 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times
It looks as though the Suns are on FSAZ as much as they're on MY45HD. My45 is a local Phoenix channel. You would probably have to subscribe to it through cable or satellite here in Tucson, which costs extra, if it's even available. Could be why you don't see the Suns here that often. FSAZ is also cable or satellite and is usually part of a sports subscription package as it's statewide, so if you get the Fox Sports stations, you'll get the Suns when they're on FSAZ. You can also get a package through Directv that is subscription that will give you every NBA game played by every team on any given day. So, it's possible to get the Suns in Tucson. You just have to check out your cable/satellite company.

As far as ASU/UofA merchandise, that's a marketing issue. The U of A has a medical school in Phoenix as well as Tucson. ASU doesn't have a branch here. Could be why you see U of A merchandise in Phoenix, but not ASU in Tucson. ASU chose not to market their products down here, but U of A chose to market theirs in Phoenix. The cities don't choose who to market, the schools do. You used to be able to get Colorado Rockies and Chicago White Sox merchandise here when the teams were in town for Spring Training. No more. It's only available in Phoenix. Again, marketing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson