Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 11:50 AM

923 posts, read 1,430,163 times

Advertisements

Democrat Ron Barber and Republican Jesse Kelly have agreed to square off in a live, public debate on May 23 sponsored by the Arizona Daily Star and the Tucson Jewish Community Center.This is the only currently scheduled debate in which voters will be able to watch live as Barber and Kelly discuss the issues facing the district in a head-to-head format prior to the June 12 Congressional District 8 special election.

Not sure I can trust either candidate. I don't see how Barber, being a junior rep, can go against Obamacare which will make major cuts to medicare. Kelly has stated in the past how he'd do away with SS and medicare but now says he won't. Appreciate your thoughts.

Barber and Kelly will hold CD8 debate May 23
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 12:42 PM

484 posts, read 970,267 times
I can't comment on the candidates but it is good to see a public debate.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:12 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Will this debate be televised on the local PBS station as debates were in the last important election? The Tucson Jewish Community Center has an excellent good-sized auditorium, certainly an asset to our city, but not large enough for everyone I would think would be interested in this debate.

I take care of a disabled person who would like to attend. I've taken her to the JCC before and while they have handicapped parking as required by law, it's nowhere near enough when they have a full house. She's out of luck if this thing isn't on TV or live on the Internet. She is unable to go hours early to get a parking space and I'm not going to push her wheelchair four blocks, over curbs and gravel, like I had to do the last time we attended a sold-out event at the JCC.

Per the question raised by whitem3, Barber and Kelly would both be junior representatives. Both will be pressured to vote with their parties on any topic, most especially the continuation/future of the Affordable Care Act and any future cuts to Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. If either one of them says they will act independently of pressures from their party, it's unlikely that would be possible for major bills that have the public's attention. They are both taking party money to pay, in part, for their campaigns. Gabby Gifford voted against her Democratic leaderships issues sometimes, especially when it was an issue close to our area's interests (for example military issues, veterans needs, and border topics). There's no reason to think Barber would operate otherwise, as he was the head of Rep. Giffords' local office and knows her thinking on those things.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:58 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,574,783 times
I agree with Jukes that Barber is probably going to operate much as Gabby would have. It was Gabby's idea for him to run, and I'm sure she'll be guiding him most of the way, so his decisions will reflect what she would do in each situation. Since she went against party at times, I presume he will too, if it benefits S. AZ.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:25 PM

923 posts, read 1,430,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Will this debate be televised on the local PBS station as debates were in the last important election?
CD8 Televised Debate Set | The Range: The Tucson Weekly's Daily Dispatch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: