Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 09:35 PM

612 posts, read 1,022,577 times

Advertisements

Enough has been said about the 'bad,' in countless other threads, and I know it's pretty rough out there. But I'm moving back and I'm interested to know what 'good' is happening. If possible, maybe we can avoid going on and on about how bad things are and who is or isn't at fault, and just report some 'brightsides.'

I'm not trying to downplay or ignore the negatives - I do understand the downsides to the Tucson economy are large, numerous, and worrisome. However, the economy is not dead. Not literally, anyhow. There are some things moving and shaking, there is some money circulating, so this is a space for that.

And ... go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 10:21 PM

99 posts, read 246,389 times
Default We have some new Trolley Cars !

We have some new Trolley Cars !

Sunrise on Sun Link
July 25, 2014
Celebrate the dawn of a new transit era & an important community milestone

Sun Link - The Tucson Streetcar

Total Estimated Project Cost: $196,822,000
Expenditures to Date
Through 10/31/2013: $157,227,528

Sun Link Tucson Streetcar Project | City of Tucson Web

Old 06-16-2014, 10:51 PM

Yes, yes we do! Thanks for opening the conversation up.

I'll add that the downtown development seems to include a decent helping of co-working space. Watching the rather vibrant tech start-up community here in Pittsburgh, much of which owes to greenhouse projects and co-working spaces, it does give hope for some successful ideas to come out of Tucson, and open up the pockets of the venture capitalists in our direction. Tucson does seem a little late to the co-working game, but this isn't a 'too little too late' situation if we can keep some UA grads around as well as maybe attract some other enterprising professionals to the city.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:00 AM

153 posts, read 220,581 times
I mean first and foremost we are a research university town that won't change. But the city is doing some things to really make money off the students for a change. A lot of people want to poo poo the trolly and complain that it only serves teh students but what they don't realize is getting those students to venture further from campus benefits the cities commerce in a big way. I think other than the engineering debacle the ultimate end of the street car is a good thing. I have lived in the downtown area almost 30 years I love it getting nicer. I am not part of the keep tucson ****ty scene I want Tucson to prosper. Yes I plan on getting the hell out of here in just under three years but in the mean time I would like it to be as good as possible.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:41 AM

Along those lines, it's about time the UA got serious about a greenhouse program, and it looks like they finally have: Tech Launch Arizona | Discover Invent Connect Collaborate Commercialize

A good friend of mine here in Pittsburgh worked as the liaison between Carnegie Mellon University and private firms/investors in a similar program there and a good number of well known/often used current technologies were born of that project. That program, and similar programs at University of Pittsburgh, Duquesne, Chatham and Point Park University have been a huge economic boon to the city of Pittsburgh in many ways, not the least of which is that in the last decade the city has quickly transformed from a place that people knew nothing about and didn't care about to one of the most popular destinations for young professionals looking to make a career.

It will be interesting to watch this program and see what comes out of it ...

Old 06-17-2014, 05:20 PM

723 posts, read 999,699 times
Oh yes Suckson, they even have a web cam where you can watch the tomatoes grow.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:17 AM

833 posts, read 1,714,298 times
Umm... how about they are finally doing something with the NE corner of Broadway & Wilmot.

Another makeover kicks off at Broadway and Wilmot - Inside Tucson Business: News

Old 06-18-2014, 12:03 PM

Oh yeah - that is good news. I drove by there a couple weeks ago and saw that Popular Outdoor Outfitters sign still advertising a long-since closed store. Local developer, too, which is always a positive. Hopefully they put something good there - the sad story across the street where the CVS replaced the El Mercado center was a shock to me!

Old 06-19-2014, 10:50 AM

833 posts, read 1,714,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suckson View Post
Oh yeah - that is good news. I drove by there a couple weeks ago and saw that Popular Outdoor Outfitters sign still advertising a long-since closed store. Local developer, too, which is always a positive. Hopefully they put something good there - the sad story across the street where the CVS replaced the El Mercado center was a shock to me!
Admittedly I only stopped in El Mercado once every other year or so, but I tearing it down for a CVS was a travesty IMHO. I'd love to say it's a perfect example of what's wrong with this town, but A) Tucson is hardly the only place doing such things and B) In the spirit of this thread, many people consider this good news since they see a CVS as more useful than a few boutique shops and restaurants.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:46 PM

3,610 posts, read 1,207,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post
Admittedly I only stopped in El Mercado once every other year or so, but I tearing it down for a CVS was a travesty IMHO. I'd love to say it's a perfect example of what's wrong with this town, but A) Tucson is hardly the only place doing such things and B) In the spirit of this thread, many people consider this good news since they see a CVS as more useful than a few boutique shops and restaurants.
I'm okay with the CVS stores. But please, no more Mattress Firm stores! There's like one at every major intersection in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson