Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 04:59 PM

88 posts, read 131,168 times

Advertisements

I've found a piece of land here in Pima County that I want to purchase. My realtor told me with land, it's better to work directly with the selling realtor, rather than having a buying agent, but I'm thinking I need some type of representation, though, right? Do I need an attorney? If so, any recommendations?

Also, this land would be for a snowbird home. How do utilities work in Tucson for these homes? Do you pay a monthly fee just to have it connected, or can you shut down and avoid bills completely for the time it's not in use?

Finally, if we have a home sitting there unused for up to 6 months, are we going to walk in to a literal snake den or scorpions nest? Any tips on securing the home for the period it's not in use?

Thank you, for any suggestions, tips, BTDT comments, etc.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 05:55 PM

344 posts, read 551,599 times
AZ has dual agency, in which a real estate salesperson can represent both parties. The limitation is that the salesperson cannot divulge confidential things about the other party, so you might miss a bit of intel that would change your strategy. However, if there were separate salespeople, yours might have never heard it in the first place.

The advantage is that --if the salesperson is good and trustworthy, ahem-- they can more quickly bring the two sides together. Also, since they are making commission on both sides one would hope that they wouldn't be greedy and work to the best interests of both parties.

I think dual agency works best in lower-priced transactions, where temptation is not so great and where possible slight differences in performance aren't going to be as egregious. Even someone earnest can mess up when balancing clients.

For the utilities check with them to see how they work things for part-time residents.

Far as invaders go, thieving humans are more likely to be a problem, IMO. Obviously when you come back you want to be careful opening boxes, scorpions love to hide under lids and flaps. Keep good stout weather seal on the door bottoms and windows.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:38 PM

722 posts, read 998,396 times
Lol laststoptucson lol! I am cracking up because I had the same fear. I knew I would not be back for at least 6 months. During that time I had all kinds of weird dreams! One night I dreamt I opened the refrigerator and a huge rattlesnake fell out! Ha! Needless to say when I got out therei I opened the fridge immediately! No snake! Phew!

Old 11-14-2015, 08:50 PM

LOL, That would have been one wily snake to get into the fridge!

How do you handle the utilities? I'm assuming the companies charge a monthly fee whether they're being used or not, is that correct? But, is the alternative having to pay a hook-up fee every time we reconnect?

Old 11-14-2015, 08:51 PM

Seedy, I've been thinking about the human varmin as well - I agree, they're probably the bigger risk.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:09 PM

722 posts, read 998,396 times
I just pay my electric bill online all year. Having two places is not cheap.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:55 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,718,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laststoptucson View Post
Seedy, I've been thinking about the human varmin as well - I agree, they're probably the bigger risk.
No expert here, LastStop . . .

However, I believe your "risk" of critters (two legged, four legged and/or no legs at all) definitely increases the further out in the "boonies" you chose to build your Dream Home.

The Snowbirds in my area (Tucson Mall at Stone / Oracle and the Rillito River) all have "trusted neighbors" keeping a watchful eye on their property during the away months. Some even have arranged for a quick cleaning (tough to secure from dust, etc) prior to arriving for the Winter. Naturally this informal security would be much more difficult if your nearest neighbor is a considerable distance away.

Good Luck and WELCOME to Tucson.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:22 PM

612 posts, read 1,022,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laststoptucson View Post
I've found a piece of land here in Pima County that I want to purchase. My realtor told me with land, it's better to work directly with the selling realtor, rather than having a buying agent, but I'm thinking I need some type of representation, though, right? Do I need an attorney? If so, any recommendations?
Full disclosure, I am a Realtor myself, but this recommendation doesn't really make any sense to me. Representation on the buyer side is still valuable to you, and as the buyer nearly all of the associated costs don't apply to you.

You would want to be sure to find somebody experienced in land deals since many realtors don't handle those too often - just ask whichever Realtor you talk to about their knowledge in the particular area and if they don't appear to be the right person for you you can just move on or ask them to refer you to someone who is.

Good luck!

Old 11-15-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beTucsonan View Post
Full disclosure, I am a Realtor myself, but this recommendation doesn't really make any sense to me. Representation on the buyer side is still valuable to you, and as the buyer nearly all of the associated costs don't apply to you.

You would want to be sure to find somebody experienced in land deals since many realtors don't handle those too often - just ask whichever Realtor you talk to about their knowledge in the particular area and if they don't appear to be the right person for you you can just move on or ask them to refer you to someone who is.

Good luck!
Thank you beTucsonan, for your reply. Do you know if since I've talked personally to the selling realtor, is it too late to have another realtor work with/for me?

I'm guessing, because it's not too expensive a piece of land, my realtor decided it wasn't worth the effort. Of course, I could be completely wrong, but that was the taste left in my mouth.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
No expert here, LastStop . . .

However, I believe your "risk" of critters (two legged, four legged and/or no legs at all) definitely increases the further out in the "boonies" you chose to build your Dream Home.

The Snowbirds in my area (Tucson Mall at Stone / Oracle and the Rillito River) all have "trusted neighbors" keeping a watchful eye on their property during the away months. Some even have arranged for a quick cleaning (tough to secure from dust, etc) prior to arriving for the Winter. Naturally this informal security would be much more difficult if your nearest neighbor is a considerable distance away.

Good Luck and WELCOME to Tucson.
Thanks Bummer - this is sort of the boonies. :/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson