Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 12:26 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,123,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
Of course, one way to stop the critters from tipping over the garbage cans is to move the little guys into your house! For example, here is Queenie, a pet javelina, who lived with friends of mine in Nogales (several years ago).

The animal was found in the desert, with the umbilical cord still attached. She was brought to the family's home and made into a pet.

According to the lady of the house, Queenie was smarter than a dog, was easily house trained and was a lot of fun around the kids (she'd pull the young man's socks off his feet and he'd have to chase her around the house in order to get them back).

Some really weird things she liked; she would chew gum and watch TV with the family. When the gum lost its flavor, she'd indicate as much and expect to get a fresh stick of gum.

She lived to drink 7-Up, especially when it was hot out and she went for a drive to go shopping with the family.

She was very territorial. The family had to be very careful with guests around Queenie.

Anyway, below are some photos of Queenie on the bed with the young man of the house.

Great story about the pet Javelina......I agree it certainly would be "an unusual house pet"!
As you stated this was many years ago..........
It is my understanding at the present time and for the last several yrs (at least 10 years) , it is unlawful to have a Javelina as a pet in AZ.
The current F&G statutes indicate the current fine for keeping a Javelina is $750.
I personally would have no objection knowing of a Javelina being properly kept in captivity.................I am just passing along the current law (F&G Statutes) as I understand them.
Now being able to handle the "musk" odor...........that would be a challenge!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 06:50 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,799,667 times
Montana Griz, if you go on YouTube you can find a few videos of folks with Javelina for pets. Most looked like they were out in a more rural part of AZ (?), very deserty. Javelina really don't make good pets because they are territorial (told to me by the owner of the Javelina in question) and rarely took kindly to folks visiting the house!!

Rich

Old 08-20-2019, 03:12 AM

2 posts, read 1,997 times
I am sick over the javelinas knocking over our trash cans. I have secured the lids with bungee cords but they seem too smart as they manage to push the bungee cords off to the side and get into the cans and spread their mess all over the yard.

Any suggestions?

Old 08-20-2019, 06:15 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N7AS View Post
I am sick over the javelinas knocking over our trash cans. I have secured the lids with bungee cords but they seem too smart as they manage to push the bungee cords off to the side and get into the cans and spread their mess all over the yard.

Any suggestions?

If you put your garbage out at 6 am, they will not bother it. If you put the trash out the night before, you will definitely have problems. And the white trash bags (i.e., kitchen trash bags are their favorites.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:44 AM

2 posts, read 1,997 times
We have to leave the cans outside as there is no room in the garage. May need to get some Coyote or Mountian Lion pellets. Maybe that will keep them away.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:12 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,393,957 times
Tie the cans to something so they can't be knocked over.
We tie ours to the carport supports, have also strapped them to a rock bbq.

If you don't have something solid, you could get a big eyehook at the hardware store and screw it into the side of your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson