Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2019, 07:58 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,322,394 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering visiting Tucson next year and wonder what is a good time to experience the desert blooming.

We have friends who remarked about the beauty of the Palm Springs area in that regard, but we know that the Mojave is a totally different ecosystem, etc. from the Sonoran desert.

Some folks tell us that right now (mid- to late March) is a prime time to experience the colors and wildlife. Others say later is better. I would appreciate comments from Tucsonians and/or experienced visitors.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 09:08 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,360,805 times
Mid to late March is a good time to see wildflowers blooming. Rainfall has been above average the past 6 months, so the wildflowers this year are looking very good. The birds are beginning the migration north, so this time of year is also good for bird watchers. The palo verde and mesquite trees are also starting to bloom, but that is not good news for people with allergies. The yellow pollen will cover my car pretty soon.

Other desert plants such as cactus bloom later in the Spring, depending on elevation. They need a longer period of warm temps before blooming, so May and June are good cactus flower months. Of course, it might be 100F in the afternoon on some days in May in June, so you would need to get out early in the day before the heat sets in.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:42 AM

700 posts, read 918,484 times
Yeledaf, so envious if you get to visit! The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum (it's outdoors) are the experts on the desert in Tucson; they have a wildflower hotline, plus loads of information. Make sure you stop there first when you visit.

At the ASDM:
Flowering

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...n_Arizona.html

Old 03-22-2019, 01:39 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,859,556 times
Both suggestions are above are excellent, but if you choose to visit in March or April, let me show you what you would miss in late summer! I put some of what I saw in my neighborhood in late summer 2017 to music on my Green Valley centric channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLWBJpOrizk

Really, there is not a bad time to visit the area. Yes, it is hot in the summer, but that heat spawns the most amazing thunderstorms, and those thunderstorms in return give rain which allows many plants to bloom a second time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79FO-XGL2OE

Old 03-22-2019, 05:51 PM

720 posts, read 995,322 times
I agree that the cactus blooming is the most spectacular thing to see. Especially the saguaros. But that is late spring early summer.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:26 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
There is something blooming in Arizona throughout the year except for December and January. However, many of the best blooms occur at sunrise and last for about a day.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:27 PM

17,634 posts, read 22,629,029 times
Years ago i had/planted about 200 cactus & succulents on my land. Many would bloom. They were beautiful. Some were a fine ice plant which got pink/purple/orange/yellow blooms.
Where we live now we have wild lilac & sweet peas...smell soo good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson