Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 11:44 PM

23 posts, read 86,122 times

Advertisements

There is no doubt that this recession will bear bad news for Tucsonans thinking that prices will stay high, and inventory continuing to stay low. This is the exact same outlook during the housing collapse and I see no difference. Low paying jobs, new unemployment numbers, and rising inflation is not going to do Tucson good in one year from now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 06:11 AM

3,826 posts, read 9,512,907 times
There is a huge difference between this and 2006-08. Back then there was unchecked inventory and builders couldn't build houses fast enough. Now, builders sell the house first and then start building. Even if a builder wanted to build spec homes, they don't have the labor pool to do it.

Purely anecdotal from looking around at the new people in my neighborhood and from chatting with a real estate agent who is a lifelong resident of Tucson and in the minority of agents who actually makes a decent living from selling homes. She is a pretty astute observer of the current market and as a family friend I trust her assessment. Much of the home sales this year are not to current Tucson residents, but to out of state buyers relocating to Tucson.

Where this market will be bad would be for long term average Tucsonans who think that they can still get that small three bedroom house by working as a manager at a bike shop or restaurant. Or the small pool of young families looking for their first starter house. Just a quick perusal online, a starter McStucco KB home out in Vail starts at $230,000 right now.

The only place in the market that's holding steady from last year are rental rates. Both of my adult children who rent apartments have been told that rent will not be increased at all for the next 12 months.

Old 06-30-2020, 10:24 AM

114 posts, read 336,013 times
Saddlebrooke community is still seeing lots of growth and interest. The covid situation has emphasized to some the desire for outdoor safer activities, patio dining in restaurants run with extra measures, and pools with safer practices.
Golf is seeing an increase again. No shutdowns due to immediate modifications. Go to WIKI section for clickable links

https://groups.io/g/Saddlebrooke-community-info/topics

Old 06-30-2020, 01:08 PM

137 posts, read 517,798 times
They're snatching them up now while the markets down and will unload when all this crap is over. Seems to be Tucson's motto, Rape it and Run...

Old 06-30-2020, 01:45 PM

723 posts, read 1,003,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman4gov View Post
There is no doubt that this recession will bear bad news for Tucsonans thinking that prices will stay high, and inventory continuing to stay low. This is the exact same outlook during the housing collapse and I see no difference. Low paying jobs, new unemployment numbers, and rising inflation is not going to do Tucson good in one year from now.
I do so agree with your assessment. Right now real estate looks to be OK but the longer the pandemic goes on the worse it will be for places like this. I don't know what the future holds but I think that relocating could be out of the question for many folks.

Lately I have been wondering if this had happened a few years ago, would I have moved out here? I am not so sure. When I moved here, I never expected going back east to see family would become nearly impossible. I don't know when I will see my family again. I am pretty heartbroken.

Old 06-30-2020, 02:31 PM

149 posts, read 153,277 times
Relax yourselves.... don't feed into the fear

Old 07-01-2020, 01:43 AM

41 posts, read 63,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Purely anecdotal from looking around at the new people in my neighborhood and from chatting with a real estate agent who is a lifelong resident of Tucson and in the minority of agents who actually makes a decent living from selling homes. She is a pretty astute observer of the current market and as a family friend I trust her assessment. Much of the home sales this year are not to current Tucson residents, but to out of state buyers relocating to Tucson.
I can concur with this. My wife sells on the higher end of the market here in town ($500K and up) and this correlates. Almost all her clients in the $600K and up market are from out of state. And of those, a large percentage are making cash offers. California, Illinois, Washington have made up some of the areas that her clients are re-locating from. Right now, the inventory is extremely low (in particular market areas), and its not uncommon for sellers to have multiple showings per day. Typically, summer is the slow time, but that hasn't been the case this year. Low interest rates, people wanting to get out of high tax areas (although I believe Pima County has the highest property tax rate in the state), are incentives.

Old 07-01-2020, 08:36 AM

3,826 posts, read 9,512,907 times
My agent services primarily the same demographic. She's seeing buyers from California, Oregon, Washington, New York & Chicago. Even if they can't relocate in the next year, they are buying up places this summer to have a home to escape to. All cash offers made on the same day the house hits the MLS is not uncommon.

Because our agent is a family friend, she's working a different segment of the market and helping us find a townhouse for one of our children. A townhouse that went for under $100,000 near the Tucson mall two years ago are now running $175,000 to $200,000. All we want is a place an old lady used to own that needs a little TLC and a few years ago when we were trying to get the lay of the land were fairly common. Now next to impossible to find, or if you find one you are getting into a bidding war with an all cash buyer or two.

Old 07-01-2020, 11:30 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,208,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
My agent services primarily the same demographic. She's seeing buyers from California, Oregon, Washington, New York & Chicago. Even if they can't relocate in the next year, they are buying up places this summer to have a home to escape to. All cash offers made on the same day the house hits the MLS is not uncommon.

Because our agent is a family friend, she's working a different segment of the market and helping us find a townhouse for one of our children. A townhouse that went for under $100,000 near the Tucson mall two years ago are now running $175,000 to $200,000. All we want is a place an old lady used to own that needs a little TLC and a few years ago when we were trying to get the lay of the land were fairly common. Now next to impossible to find, or if you find one you are getting into a bidding war with an all cash buyer or two.
I noticed there’s no 1 bdrm condos for sale around OV. Did the builders here just not build any or is it rare for one to get listed?

Old 07-01-2020, 12:55 PM

415 posts, read 1,397,567 times
Wait until next year when all the forbearances have been exhausted and the foreclosures start hitting the market in the fall of 2021. Don't buy at the peak and don't try to catch a falling knife. Great time to sell, horrible time to buy. Rent for now in Tucson if you need a place to live here. Don't rush in to buy and make a poor decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson