Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 09:02 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,863,202 times

Advertisements

My neighbor Heinz and I had just finished up doing some landscape maintenance work at his house around 10:30 am 08/29/2022. He was taking me back to my house, and as we were going down the driveway, I spotted a pretty large rattlesnake laying in his driveway near his gate. I told Heina that there was a large rattlesnake in front of us and to please stop. Heinz said he did not see it and asked where it was. I told him it was right in front of us on my side of the truck. I tried to get out to get some video because it was laid out completely straight, but the vehicle we were in only allows the doors to unlock when the transmission is in park. Heinz had put the truck in reverse so he could back up and see the snake, and I could not get out. He saw that I was trying to get out and put the truck in park, and by the time I got closer to the snake, it was already trying to leave the driveway. I am guessing that the snake was close to 4' if not a bit longer. I bas this on the size of the pavers the driveway is made from. They are 4" wide and 8" long. Anyway, this is a really good close look at a sizeable western diamondback rattlesnake. I had not seen one all year so far, now I have seen two in just a couple of days!!! FYI, it was really bright out and really difficult to see the viewer of the camera due to light reflection. Plus I had to hurry and turn off the radio on my phone so I did not have a copyright issue, so that is what caused the jerk near the beginning. I was fishing my phone from my pocket with one hand and taking video with the other. We see wildlife frequently while I am at Heinz' place, so I have started carrying my camera when I go there to work with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqczOxef7so
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2022, 06:29 AM

2,019 posts, read 868,097 times
Wow! Could have been a tragedy. I love nature, but not when it has the potential to kill me.

Old 09-01-2022, 06:35 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,065,118 times
You missed your chance to do your best Steve Irwin impression!

Crikey, she's a real beauty............then pick it up by the tail for the camera!

Old 09-01-2022, 06:56 AM

2,019 posts, read 868,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

Crikey, she's a real beauty............then pick it up by the tail for the camera!
Yeah, and we all know what happened to Steve.

Old 09-02-2022, 08:01 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,800,051 times
Nice! Have only seen a few snakes since being in AZ; A green Mohave rattlesnake (pretty large, +3' anyway) and a couple of modestly sized rattlers of unknown type. None have been aggressive or hostile. Just don't try to pet them...

Rich

Old 09-03-2022, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
Wow! Could have been a tragedy. I love nature, but not when it has the potential to kill me.
Yes, a tragedy for the snake if it had inadvertently been run over! This snake was never a threat to me or Heinz. It was out in the open initially and we saw where it went. I did not get too close, and I used the zoom feature on my camera to get the up-close shots. This snake never coiled or rattled, and yes, I know you can be bitten without a warning rattle. Yes, a rattlesnake can kill a person, but that is a pretty rare occurrence.

Old 09-03-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

You know, I have thought to use the Steve Irwin accent as a joke, but my Aussie accent is just not that good! Additionally, I would never try to handle a snake, not even a non-venomous one. I like seeing them, and that is where it stops for me!

Old 09-03-2022, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Yes, very sad. At least he died doing what he loved to do!

Old 09-03-2022, 09:26 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,502,350 times
Quote:
Yeah, Steve Irwin got killed by a stingray. Just to confuse us all, since we thought he would die by snakebite.

Old 09-03-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
Nice! Have only seen a few snakes since being in AZ; A green Mohave rattlesnake (pretty large, +3' anyway) and a couple of modestly sized rattlers of unknown type. None have been aggressive or hostile. Just don't try to pet them...

Rich
From what I understand, the Mojave Green is the worst rattlesnake to be bitten by as their venom has a hemotoxin as well as a neurotoxin which makes the bite much more difficult to treat. They all have their role, so I say live and let live!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: