Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2007, 10:48 PM

20 posts, read 53,920 times

Advertisements

I currently live in the Chicago area and am looking into relocating to Tulsa. I don't like the winters here in Chicago or the traffic or the high cost of living. I am self employed and work out of my home and would look at houses in a safe area. Everyone says any place in Tulsa is safe except the north side of Tulsa. Is there a good place for single people to live in Tulsa? I realize most people who live in the Tulsa area are married. I was wondering if there were some neighborhoods that had a high percentage of single people. Also, where is the downtown area of Tulsa? I heard the people in Tulsa are very friendly and sociable, something Chicago people are NOT! Most people in the Chicago area don't even know who there neighbors are! It's a very unfriendly place to live and I am a friendly person and need to be around other friendly people! In the Chicago area, people don't talk to strangers, people don't even talk to their neighbors!!

I am looking forward to checking out Tulsa, maybe over this Labor weekend!

- Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 07:41 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,915,317 times
People in Tulsa are very friendly and the winters are much milder than in the Midwest. I don't have much time right now, but check out the link below (my post) it has several hyperlinks of things to do around Tulsa. As for a good place for single people; I'm sure there are but I'm not single nor do I live in Tulsa anymore (wish I did). When I lived there I was single, and I had a ball. As for where is downtown Tulsa, I'm not quite sure what you mean about that. It's in Tulsa. Perhaps you could clarify? It's next to the Arkansas River, and it's in the Northern part of town (but not in the Northside). If you're a friendly person, and like to be sociable, you'll love Tulsa. The people there are extremely friendly. Just read some of the other comments on this forum from people like Jammie, Honeybee, and others.
Good luck. I hope you find what you're looking for.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/tulsa...uggestion.html

Old 08-17-2007, 10:04 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,437,836 times
Synopsis, thanks for all the info you give and by the way, your shopping thread to Jessaka is kinda funny. Guess that's cause I'm not a shopaholic. Unfortunately, we can only give rep points every so often.

James, we don't live in OK, but have visited. I joined the forum for an OK newspaper a few years ago~before this site was here. I've always found most of the people to be very down to earth and friendly and welcoming.

We took a trip down there last Oct. and we really like it there. You can't imagine how courteous people are there. They'll hold doors open for you, smile, chat a bit, etc. They're even courteous drivers and that says a lot for an area. There seems to be plenty of employment there and housing is very reasonable. Imho Tulsa is a good choice whether you're married, single, black, white or in any circumstance. It ranks near the top for donations and in many other areas.

Something that just really impressed me recently was the fact that they're providing homes for their homeless. In another part of the country, the homeless had a "tent city" cause that's all they could afford. Many of those people had jobs or were looking, but couldn't afford the 1000 a month for rent. The police dept. in that city burned down the tent city. It destroyed every personal item that those people had. This is just one illustration at the difference in OK and some other areas of the country.

We also live in an area where people have ethics and try to help one another and if we ever relocate, we probably couldn't survive in some areas, but OK would be a place that we'd probably fit in.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:54 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,619,010 times
Jammie and Synopsis, you guys are right on so many levels. I would give you both some points, but I have to spread it around a little first.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:36 PM

169 posts, read 456,242 times
You're right that people are friendlier in Tulsa than Chicago, but I'd say Chicago is a much better place for a single guy if you're over 25 or so. Chicago is filled with attractive, single professional women in their 20's and 30's. In Oklahoma people tend to get married young. There are certainly exceptions (and moreso in the cities than the small towns), but generally speaking the single life won't be like Chicago. I guess it just depends on what you're looking for. If you're willing to sacrifice the much larger/better dating pool for an overall friendlier environment, Tulsa could be a good move. Also be aware that it's a much more conservative and religious place. (Fundamentalist Christianity, as opposed to the Catholicism and Mainline Protestantism you have in Chicago.) You can still find cool people, but it can take a little effort.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:35 PM

11 posts, read 64,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesbond View Post
Is there a good place for single people to live in Tulsa?
I am looking forward to checking out Tulsa, maybe over this Labor weekend!

- Paul
Check out the Brookside area, it's a great place for professional singles. Approx. between Riverside and Peoria, east to west, and 41st to 21st south to north. Especially the area on Peoria between about 41st and 31st. Enjoy.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:43 PM

17 posts, read 55,694 times
Tulsa is a great place for families - young kids and the like. As many people told us when we lived there - it is not the best place for people who:

1. don't have kids.
2. Are single and over 30.

The place is very friendly - there are some interesting areas - a couple of really neat areas - very hip - Brookside or Cherry Street for instance.

The young (21-30) crowd tends to have a great time - as for the over 30's - not much going on. As a very long time and very wealthy Tulsa native told us - "it's boring here" I know that doesn't sit well with most of the folks on this forum, but truth is truth - not everyone is into the things that Tulsa has to offer.

We spent just under two years there - and honestly, we were happy to leave. Yes, we made some good friends, and yes, we had some fun - but for our taste - larger and more urban is better and we are far, far happier now.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:54 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,915,317 times
I have to say that San Diego is one of my top destinations. The city has great weather practically all year round, mountains, ocean, etc. However, I'm well over 30 and I've found that Tulsa has plenty of things for me to do. I think it would have to do with a person's taste more than anything. I'm not into "larger is better." I prefer a mid-sized city over a true megapolis.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:37 PM

93 posts, read 347,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I have to say that San Diego is one of my top destinations. The city has great weather practically all year round, mountains, ocean, etc. However, I'm well over 30 and I've found that Tulsa has plenty of things for me to do. I think it would have to do with a person's taste more than anything. I'm not into "larger is better." I prefer a mid-sized city over a true megapolis.
Well said!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
View detailed profiles of: