Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 10:57 PM

5 posts, read 21,152 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are planning to move to the Tulsa area from Seattle... We would be interested in learning about any Chinese communities or Black and Asian couple experiences there in Tulsa.

Based on the information gathered here we don’t anticipate any troubles but would be most interested in any additional information. We are looking at buying a home in the Jenks area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 03:20 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasian View Post
Hello, we are planning to move to the Tulsa area from Seattle... We would be interested in learning about any Chinese communities or Black and Asian couple experiences there in Tulsa.

Based on the information gathered here we don’t anticipate any troubles but would be most interested in any additional information. We are looking at buying a home in the Jenks area.
I'm a former Tulsan , Afro-American that have lived on the east coast and west coast....Los Angeles Long Beach...San Francisco.....Oakland...Vallejo CA my periods of residentcy in the Tulsa Metropolitan Area were 1954-1976 and 1988-1990.During that period of 1988-1990 I notice a lot of Asians re-locating to the Southeastern area of Tulsa where I lived at the time (51st and Mingo Valley Road Hwy169 freeway...The JENKS Area is in Southwestern Tulsa County near the ORAL ROBERTS City Of Faith and ORU they have the best school district along with The Union Schools District, however the only Top 100 Nationally Ranked School is Booker t. Washington On Tulsa Afro-American Northside And It Is A Magnet School.Tulsa wasn't that great of a place for Minorities in the 60's and 70's , but have made many improvements in the 80's and great strides by the 2000's.

America's Top Public High Schools | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com

Jay Matthews's Challenge Index (washingtonpost.com)

Old 03-17-2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:

Well since no one else posted any information i guess that i jump in with just a little bit more information , i believe that a list of Southern Cities that
don't feel like southern Cities would help you "Guys"......

1.Atlanta GA
2.Miami FL
3.Houston TX
4.Austin TX
5. Galveston TX
6. Dallas TX
7.TULSA OK
8 Oklahoma City OK
9. San Antonio TX
10.Charlotte NC
11. Raleigh NC
12.Columbia SC
13.Charcleston SC
14.Fort Worth TX
15.El Paso TX
16.Knoxville Tenn
17. New Orleans La
18. Chattanooga Tenn
19.Corpus Christi TX
20. The Five Or Six Cities Of Hampton Roads Virginia..Norfork..Virginia Beach....Hampton...Newport News....Chesterpeake...Suffork....

It's my bed time again 10:24PM I'll do something tomorrow about Asians in
Oklahoma.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:42 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Thanks for the good info Howest. blasian, I don't think you would have any problems at all. I can't speak to much on this because I'm neither Asian or Black - I'm just your garden variety white boy..

I had Asian and Black friends when I lived in Tulsa and we all got along just fine; they never had any problems at all. I wish you the best in your move.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:18 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,067,984 times
I don't know about Chinese population, I do know there is a HUGE Vietnamese population in Tulsa.

We are having issues in Checotah, which is a tiny little town about an hour and half SE of Tulsa. We have a wonderful Chinese Restaurant that has recruited a family straight from China. The parents work at the Restaurant. They have a daughter that is the same age as my daughter. She don't speak one word of English. The poor thing is going to public school here, no interpreter, no nothing. I feel so sorry for her, she seems to be a very sweet little girl. The teachers here are just not equipped to deal with the situation.

BTW we have 2 stoplights now... not just 1. We just got a new Supercenter Wal Mart. Had to have a new stoplight for that.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:

Well today is my birthday and I'm 56 years young , i decided to chrime-in with some more information on "Chinatowns in the Dirty South"...

1"HOUSTON TX"
2.Austin TX
3.Oklahoma City Oklahoma
4.Dallas TX
5.New Orleans La
6. Columbia SC
7.Jackson Mississippi
8.Birmingham Alabama
9.Washington D.C.
10. Baltimore Maryland
11.Orlando Florida
12. One somewhere in West Virginia probably Charleston WV
CHINATOWN IN CALIFORNIA AND THE WEST

1.The BEST Chinatown In America "San Francisco CA"
2.Los Angeles CA/San Gabriel CA/ Suburban Chinatowns Throughout Metro
3. Oakland CA
4.San Jose CA
5.Sacramento CA
6.Long Beach CA
7.Fresno CA
8.Stockton CA
9.Modesto CA
10.Fremont CA
11.Seal Beach CA
12. Anaheim CA
13. Riverside CA
14.Chino CA
15. San Diego CA
"WESTERN STATES CHINATOWNS"
16. Seattle Washington
17. Portland Oregon
18.Albuquerque NM
19.Tucson Arizona
20.Las Vegas Nevada
21.Phoenix Arizona
22. Reno Nevada
23 Victoria British Columbia Canada
24.Vancouver British Columbia Canada
25. Anchorage Alaska

HOUSTON has by far the best CHINATOWN in the southern States , but SAN FRANCISCO CA is Hands Down The Best CHINATOWN in the United States.

Last edited by Howest2008; 03-18-2008 at 04:00 PM..

Old 03-18-2008, 07:33 PM

5 posts, read 21,152 times
Yeah I don't think we will have any big issues in Tulsa... After all I lived in China for a couple of years (talk about stares!) My wife's English is very good but it always nice to have a conversation in your native language once in a while and it would be nice to expose our son to Chinese/American couples-families. So we will continue to look for opportunities to meet other similar families.

And it certainly won't hurt that I am a sooner alumnus although I have not lived in OK in nearly 20 years... But it sure would be nice to root for the home team for a while, oops I don't want to cause an up roar with all those other fine universities in the Tulsa area...

We have purchased a home there so we are certainly Tulsa bound... thanks for wishing us well!

Old 03-18-2008, 09:55 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,067,984 times
GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Old 03-28-2008, 09:57 AM

6 posts, read 20,498 times
I am a Chinese students from China, who is pursuiting graduate study in the university of tulsa this fall. So I am happy to make friends with you , if you do not mind. Here is my MSN: czm89578251@sina.com, and you can also send E-mail to me.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:01 AM

1 posts, read 6,132 times
Thumbs up Black and Asian

Ni Hao, I have been living here for 5 years and I would not want to live anywhere else, I met a Chinese lady from Salem, Or. and she is planning on visiting here in June08, I hope you make a smooth transition to Tulsa, it's a beautiful place for all people, I moved here from Los Angeles. I hope to here from you.

Laker Kevin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa