Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 05:20 PM

124 posts, read 250,295 times

Advertisements

What would you like to see there?

I don't have kids, but I could see one of those places where the kids celebrate their birthdays with the pizza, and the games and amusements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 06:12 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,251,576 times
I think that would work much better in South Tulsa or one of the Burbs. Theres a place on 71st near Memorial in an old K mart call Incredible Pizza that pretty much has what you are talking about.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
I think that would work much better in South Tulsa or one of the Burbs. Theres a place on 71st near Memorial in an old K mart call Incredible Pizza that pretty much has what you are talking about.
Yeah, but 71st & Memorial is far from 21st & Columbia, and there are kids in all neighborhoods. I would think parents would be grateful for something closer. Only downfall might be the parking.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCarey View Post
Yeah, but 71st & Memorial is far from 21st & Columbia, and there are kids in all neighborhoods. I would think parents would be grateful for something closer. Only downfall might be the parking.
I'm very familiar to the area, I also live on Columbia just a few blocks north of the old Borders. I really miss that place, it was one of my favorite haunts. Maybe something like that could work there, but in my neighborhood there are not very many kids. Willson Middle School is also on Columba and had to close because of shrinking enrollment. But if someone did it right maybe it cold draw kids from other areas. And I seem to remember the parking lot at Borders as being pretty big especially for that part of town.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:46 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,187 times
I think another bookstore could do well there but not another chain. It would likely have to be more coffee shop than books. The SBC was swamped there as there were always college students there and people meeting up to chat. The SBUX in Utica Square is too small to accommodate a lot of people. I think the issue is that it is too big for a coffee shop and modern big box bookstores are dying. BN has their stores dragging on earnings but I think that the store is the only thing differentiating them from Amazon. Differentiation in retail is huge as if you try to compete on price, Wal Mart and Amazon just crush you.

I think it can be filled but Tulsa will have to grow it's young professional ranks a bit more before it can become viable. Younger professionals, with kids even, would rather live in Midtown than Broken Arrow or the "cheap seats" of Jenks. I just don't think the average Oklahoman reads enough books or drinks enough coffee to support another large bookstore in Tulsa proper.

This is a prime location and they probably want a prime rent so that is the biggest hurdle to getting the store filled.

Last edited by flyingcat2k; 07-04-2012 at 09:12 AM..

Old 07-04-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
I think another bookstore could do well there but not another chain. It would likely have to be more coffee shop than books. The SBC was swamped there as there were always college students there and people meeting up to chat. The SBUX in Utica Square is too small to accommodate a lot of people. I think the issue is that it is too big for a coffee shop and modern big box bookstores are dying. BN has their stores dragging on earnings but I think that the store is the only thing differentiating them from Amazon. Differentiation in retail is huge as if you try to compete on price, Wal Mart and Amazon just crush you.

I think it can be filled but Tulsa will have to grow it's young professional ranks a bit more before it can become viable. Younger professionals, with kids even, would rather live in Midtown than Broken Arrow or the "cheap seats" of Jenks. I just don't think the average Oklahoman reads enough books or drinks enough coffee to support another large bookstore in Tulsa proper.

This is a prime location and they probably want a prime rent so that is the biggest hurdle to getting the store filled.
Maybe cool to see something like Steve Sundries take that building. The place they have now is too small.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:27 AM

Default I agree:

If not pizza/amusement venue, then another bookstore would be nice as I also frequented that Borders for a personal hangout too. Maybe a Gardner's Books?

Old 07-07-2012, 10:34 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times
I think it would make a great venue for Cloud 9, the gentlemens club.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I think it would make a great venue for Cloud 9, the gentlemens club.
Yes, and we could work on a Terlton location will we are at it....LOL

Old 07-08-2012, 08:47 PM

18 posts, read 44,090 times
Do the same as they did with the one at 81st and Yale...put in a Fresh Market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa