Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2014, 07:07 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,087,326 times

Advertisements

I will be in town next month and would love to have some good information to show me around. And please inform me of those things that I should avoid. Every city has them

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 07:38 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,618 times
I would avoid North Tulsa. Downtown is going through a rejuvenation stage, downtown Tulsa has one of the nations largest collections of art deco buildings. No trip to Tulsa would be complete without seeing the Boston Ave Methodist Church. The church is 22 stories tall and was built back in the 20's but looks incredibly contemporary today.

Philbrook museum of art, IMHO is the most beautiful manmade places in Oklahoma. There is nothing like it state. Philbrook sits in the richest and most beautiful neighborhood in Oklahoma.

Enjoy your visit to Tulsa!

Boston Avenue Methodist Church | Art Deco Buildings in Tulsa | Tulsa Preservation Commission
Philbrook Museum of Art - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-29-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
I would avoid North Tulsa. Downtown is going through a rejuvenation stage, downtown Tulsa has one of the nations largest collections of art deco buildings. No trip to Tulsa would be complete without seeing the Boston Ave Methodist Church. The church is 22 stories tall and was built back in the 20's but looks incredibly contemporary today.

Philbrook museum of art, IMHO is the most beautiful manmade places in Oklahoma. There is nothing like it state. Philbrook sits in the richest and most beautiful neighborhood in Oklahoma.

Enjoy your visit to Tulsa!

Boston Avenue Methodist Church | Art Deco Buildings in Tulsa | Tulsa Preservation Commission
Philbrook Museum of Art - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wow, thanks so much for the quick response.

I will take whatever amount of time it takes to see as much as possible. I am widely traveled, but have never been into Ok.
I also am open to the fact that places are different and I will celebrate those differences.
I will post my thoughts when I return to the forum after the trip.

Thanks,
Raj

Old 10-01-2014, 08:03 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,218,221 times
Just so you know, the part of North Tulsa to avoid is defined as the area north of I-244 and west of the airport to the Gilcrease Expressway.

I would also recommend visiting the Gilcrease Museum if you are interested in Native American artifacts and paintings of some of the National Parks painted by Albert Bierstadt and Thomas Moran. The landscape paintings at the Gilcrease are very famous and go on loan frequently.

Other areas for nightlife include South Boston between 16 and 18th streets, Cherry Street (15th) between Peoria and Utica and the Pearl District on 6th Street east of Peoria. There are a lot of musical acts coming through Tulsa now so check Cains Ballroom or the Brady Theater websites for what's playing.

Home | Gilcrease Museum
www.cainsballroom.com
www.bradytheater.com

Tulsa is the largest city that I have lived in that has not been overrun with chain restaurants. They are here but in smaller numbers for a city of its size. Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisine has always been a part of town. I had never heard of Lebanese steakhouses before moving here. Jamil's (I-44 & Harvard) is the big one but Celebrity (BA Expressway & Yale) is good too. There is Silver Flame (61st & Sheridan) but I haven't been there since the fire. If you are looking for specific cuisines, just ask.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:31 PM

Lebanese Steakhouses may not be unique to Tulsa, but I have never seen them anywhere else either. When I was working back east a few years ago, there was this little restaurant in Hundred WV that I ate at almost every day. I ask Melissa if she ever had served up any tabouli? She look at me and her jaw just about hit the floor, and then she said "Scott, thats kind of a personal question don't you think!!!" I just about peed my pants right there! LOL

Just some fyi, Melissa was very, very easy on the eyes if you know what I mean...

Old 10-04-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Lebanese Steakhouses may not be unique to Tulsa, but I have never seen them anywhere else either. When I was working back east a few years ago, there was this little restaurant in Hundred WV that I ate at almost every day. I ask Melissa if she ever had served up any tabouli? She look at me and her jaw just about hit the floor, and then she said "Scott, thats kind of a personal question don't you think!!!" I just about peed my pants right there! LOL

Just some fyi, Melissa was very, very easy on the eyes if you know what I mean...

This is such a funny story. Thanks for sharing.

We have a new Lebanese grill called Cedars Grill. (what else?) I have not gone yet. We have a little Lebanon, so a great deal of both Greek and Lebanese food and the two big food festivals each year.

Unfortunately, after receiving not one response to my question in the OKC forum, we decided that OK might not be a good trip for us right now. Since of course we would have spent time in both.

I do want to thank you guys who responded to me here in Tulsa. (there might be a message in that) I will save the info that you have shared for a future trip.

PS, I happen to like tabouli a lot, so I won't soon forget the story. LOL

Old 10-04-2014, 11:45 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,218,221 times
I'm sorry to hear that. As I did not know your specific dates, I couldn't recommend Oktoberfest. If you do come here next year, I highly recommend coming during that time. It is a very good festival and one of the few Oktoberfests that is family friendly.

Linde Oktoberfest Tulsa

Old 10-04-2014, 08:37 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times
Default Start In North Tulsa OK

Definitely don't dodge North Tulsa OK you would miss " world class attractions such as the.......

Cain Ballroom live music club top 40's World Ranked
Brady Theater a must see
Gilcrease Museum World Class Museum , and make sure to tour the " gardens " also

Mohawk Park one of America's largest city parks , the Tulsa Zoo is also in the park....
Make sure to put on a pair of " waders " and walk around in the untouched sections
of the park it will blow your " mind " ( I guarantee it )...

Woody Guthrie
Museum Special and a don't miss Tulsa site
Brady District and Park

Greenwood Reconciliation Park
Blue Dome District
Owen Park/Pond/Mini Waterfall

Tulsa International Airport (Pops ) Cafe Soda Pop Fountain

Old 10-04-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
This is such a funny story. Thanks for sharing.

We have a new Lebanese grill called Cedars Grill. (what else?) I have not gone yet. We have a little Lebanon, so a great deal of both Greek and Lebanese food and the two big food festivals each year.

Unfortunately, after receiving not one response to my question in the OKC forum, we decided that OK might not be a good trip for us right now. Since of course we would have spent time in both.

I do want to thank you guys who responded to me here in Tulsa. (there might be a message in that) I will save the info that you have shared for a future trip.

PS, I happen to like tabouli a lot, so I won't soon forget the story. LOL
Folks from Tulsa are much friendlier than those stuck up spoiled brats from Oklahoma City. We have a word for them up here in Tulsa, "Okie attitude". A few years back the President of the United States visited Oklahoma and our governor didn't even visit with him to make him feel welcomed. Believe me, you're not missing much by not going to OKC, just ask Obama!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa