Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2022, 05:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,441 times

Advertisements

Hello, I’m from a semi rural area of Washington state. I have have been looking to relocate my family to an area with more like minded people (Christian/conservative), and have set my sights on Oklahoma. I’m a 23 yr old journeyman electrician, married with 2 young kids. We want to get away from the rising crime, homelessness and skyrocketing cost of living that plagues our home state. We love hunting, fishing, cars boats and anything outdoors. Oklahoma seems like a great place for all of that stuff from what I’ve read so I think we would fit in pretty good. What else should I know?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2022, 08:19 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_23 View Post
Hello, I’m from a semi rural area of Washington state. I have have been looking to relocate my family to an area with more like minded people (Christian/conservative), and have set my sights on Oklahoma. I’m a 23 yr old journeyman electrician, married with 2 young kids. We want to get away from the rising crime, homelessness and skyrocketing cost of living that plagues our home state. We love hunting, fishing, cars boats and anything outdoors. Oklahoma seems like a great place for all of that stuff from what I’ve read so I think we would fit in pretty good. What else should I know?

Thanks!
I would think you would like it n that area if you could get used to the weather and the spring/summer bugs.

Old 05-12-2022, 09:22 AM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
What bugs are you talking about?

Old 05-12-2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
What bugs are you talking about?
We are way more bug friendly than Washington state. We have over 1100 different types of bugs. They only have 640 or so.

Eastern Oklahoma is pretty ticky and obviously we have fiddlebacks. I don't think they have them up there.

Old 05-12-2022, 11:36 AM

Weather and hunting will be an adjustment for OP.

Old 05-12-2022, 05:51 PM

1,810 posts, read 897,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_23 View Post

Thanks!
Just so you know the air quality in Oklahoma absolutely sucks. I was raised here and moved to Alaska about 30 years ago to escape the Oklahoma environment. I come back often to help take care of my elderly parents. This stint I’ve been back in Oklahoma City since April 1st. For almost 40 days straight the air quality has been absolutely atrocious. There have been major wildfires in Mexico, New Mexico and Arizona that have been negatively affecting Oklahoma. You can see a visible tint and haze in the air. The jet stream carry’s the smoke and particulate matter hundreds of miles right into the gut of Oklahoma.

Then there is allergy season. Starts in March and ends in December. It gets worse every year. Add in the oppressive spring and summer heat and humidity and it makes the place unlivable.

I won’t even get into the influx of illegal aliens or the Chinese marijuana farmers.

Look elsewhere for your nirvana you won’t find it here. I have another 3 weeks left then I’m outta this meteorological cesspool.

https://oklahomaallergy.com/allergy-report/

https://data.oklahoman.com/fires/

Old 05-12-2022, 11:44 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Good lord, just avoid OKC and Tulsa areas in Oklahoma and you'll have a lot better air quality plus a definitely more rural oriented atmosphere to work with. The OP said he is semi-rural, so he should set his sights on where the booming small town of Durant is. When wanting to move to Oklahoma, and are young, rural and conservative, concentrate hopes on those very few rare rural towns actually growing in Oklahoma, which Durant is actually doing well, and you can't go wrong!

For a couple of hints for towns to avoid in the eastern half of Oklahoma because they are not conservative enough is Tahlequah. Also, Stillwater is best avoided. From seeing one pitiful homeless person sleeping on the south side of the strip in Stillwater, I can't help but wonder if any homeless people sleep in the streets at night in Durant.

Stillwater is so desperate for newcomers that it will pay a $5,000 incentive to any remote worker who buys a home within the Stillwater city limits, along with getting free coffee for a year (a $2k value) from Aspen Coffee. But as a warning, lots of people absolutely abhor trying to live in Stillwater, due to the lack of decent places to shop, to dine, along with a severe lack of decent paying jobs. Many Stillwater people consider it beneath their dignity to work at fast foods, restaurants, and hotel housekeeping jobs, which are in great abundance in Stillwater. IHOP is having a heck of a hard time trying to attract workers. On the other hand, Ponca City, which is certainly more rural and conservative minded, has a similar incentive. Kaw Lake, good for fishing, isn't far from there.

Any worry about allergies from weed pollen and from other sources are totally irrelevant, if you don't have them. If you do have pollen allergies, better look to desert states to get away from them, such as Arizona and New Mexico.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 05-13-2022 at 01:09 AM..

Old 05-14-2022, 06:23 AM

1,810 posts, read 897,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Good lord, just avoid OKC and Tulsa areas in Oklahoma and you'll have a lot better air quality plus a definitely more rural oriented atmosphere to work with. The OP said he is semi-rural, so he should set his sights on where the booming small town of Durant is. When wanting to move to Oklahoma, and are young, rural and conservative, concentrate hopes on those very few rare rural towns actually growing in Oklahoma, which Durant is actually doing well, and you can't go wrong!

For a couple of hints for towns to avoid in the eastern half of Oklahoma because they are not conservative enough is Tahlequah. Also, Stillwater is best avoided. From seeing one pitiful homeless person sleeping on the south side of the strip in Stillwater, I can't help but wonder if any homeless people sleep in the streets at night in Durant.

Stillwater is so desperate for newcomers that it will pay a $5,000 incentive to any remote worker who buys a home within the Stillwater city limits, along with getting free coffee for a year (a $2k value) from Aspen Coffee. But as a warning, lots of people absolutely abhor trying to live in Stillwater, due to the lack of decent places to shop, to dine, along with a severe lack of decent paying jobs. Many Stillwater people consider it beneath their dignity to work at fast foods, restaurants, and hotel housekeeping jobs, which are in great abundance in Stillwater. IHOP is having a heck of a hard time trying to attract workers. On the other hand, Ponca City, which is certainly more rural and conservative minded, has a similar incentive. Kaw Lake, good for fishing, isn't far from there.

Any worry about allergies from weed pollen and from other sources are totally irrelevant, if you don't have them. If you do have pollen allergies, better look to desert states to get away from them, such as Arizona and New Mexico.
Good freaking grief! Air quality isn’t just auto emissions. The air quality in Stillwater sucks just as much as it does in the rest of the state. You might wanna lay off of the weed a little bit and study up on a couple of hits of science. People can move here from other areas and develop allergens to all the pollens and other pollutants in the air. Best to just avoid relocating here.

Old 05-14-2022, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
Good freaking grief! Air quality isn’t just auto emissions. The air quality in Stillwater sucks just as much as it does in the rest of the state. You might wanna lay off of the weed a little bit and study up on a couple of hits of science. People can move here from other areas and develop allergens to all the pollens and other pollutants in the air. Best to just avoid relocating here.
Interestingly it looks like Oklahoma "air quality is actually middle of the pack" as far as states go but Washington is really good.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...ality-by-state

I live in Oklahoma, I can breathe just fine, don't have any severe allergies here. Don't take allergy medicine. It can be done.

Old 05-14-2022, 07:51 AM

Every place has its points for those who decided to live there.

OP has not returned. So where is the point of bickering about air quality?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa