Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 11:40 AM

500 posts, read 2,859,444 times

Advertisements

"Preservation", the magazine of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, is carrying Tulsa in the cover with a story on the art deco treasures of downtown (they'll have their 2008 National Preservation Conference there so they're putting the spotlight in the city).

It's a good and sobering read: 52 percent of downtown Tulsa has been turned into parking lots, and about half of the city's deco buildings were demolished, mostly in the 1970's but some as recently as 1999 (for a parking lot, of course).

And yet Tulsa's art deco, what's left of it, is loved and respected these days. It is now Modernism that's threatened (they say).

You can read the article here following this link:

Tulsa's Deco Gems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 11:52 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,915,317 times
Hey Manhattan-ite. It really is sad that so many treasures have been lost to, of all things, surface parking. Hopefully they'll put a stop to such nonsense and this article will contribute to that. Thanks for the great post!

Old 06-23-2008, 12:01 PM

That was a fantastic article; I read every word. Thanks for the contribution Manhattan-ite. Below is the cover from the magazine.

Last edited by Synopsis; 06-23-2008 at 12:15 PM..

Old 06-23-2008, 06:47 PM

500 posts, read 2,859,444 times
Thanks, Synopsis! The sun must shine on Tulsa from now on, there's no looking back...

Old 06-23-2008, 10:00 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,859,644 times
I nearly cried when they tore down the Camelot Inn on Peoria. I hated to see the older buildings in downtown go too. So much history lost............

Thanks for the article. I'm going to go back and read it now.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:36 PM

687 posts, read 2,350,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
I nearly cried when they tore down the Camelot Inn on Peoria. I hated to see the older buildings in downtown go too. So much history lost............

Thanks for the article. I'm going to go back and read it now.
I got several pictures of the old girl (Camelot) before she was taken. As much as she was iconic, she was becoming an eyesore that evidently no one wanted to restore. I had kind of hoped when Quik Trip bought the property they would step up. Yep, they did. They're going to make it their 500th store and 50th anniversary. They also opened their first store just about three blocks south of the Camelot location in 1958. It was really weird to drive by there last week and see an empty lot in the place of the hotel. I teared up a little.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOkie View Post
I got several pictures of the old girl (Camelot) before she was taken. As much as she was iconic, she was becoming an eyesore that evidently no one wanted to restore. I had kind of hoped when Quik Trip bought the property they would step up. Yep, they did. They're going to make it their 500th store and 50th anniversary. They also opened their first store just about three blocks south of the Camelot location in 1958. It was really weird to drive by there last week and see an empty lot in the place of the hotel. I teared up a little.

I used to live a few blocks from the Camelot and it always captured my eye. It was becoming an eyesore in recent years but it had a glorious past and was a beautiful building before it was vacated and left to fall apart.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:49 AM

687 posts, read 2,350,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
That was a fantastic article; I read every word. Thanks for the contribution Manhattan-ite. Below is the cover from the magazine.

This got some airtime on KOTV last night.

Link includes a link to the video of the story.

NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com | Magazine Features Tulsa's Art Deco

Old 06-24-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOkie View Post
This got some airtime on KOTV last night.

Link includes a link to the video of the story.

NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com | Magazine Features Tulsa's Art Deco
Thanks for the link BigOkie.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:02 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,576,277 times
Default I remember the Camelot Hotel in the 1980's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I used to live a few blocks from the Camelot and it always captured my eye. It was becoming an eyesore in recent years but it had a glorious past and was a beautiful building before it was vacated and left to fall apart.
I remember the Camelot very clearly during my stay in Tulsa 1988-1990 , I went to a couple of job fair there and I can't believe that they knocked down such a iconic treasure like the Camelot. The powers that be made another termendous blunder by not rehabilitating the Camelot Hotel HumHumHum and I never spend a night in the hotel either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
View detailed profiles of: