Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 12:19 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,036,041 times

Advertisements

I agree with Synopsis here. I'm originally from Wisconsin, and our beloved Badgers have had a decent run under Barry Alvarez with top 10 or even top 5 finishes, but never considered elite.
When I moved to Oklahoma, I figured I'd be able to see what it's like when your team wins the NC.
Kinda dissapointing, given how powerful the Sooners are. I know we can;t expect a NC every year, and that USC team they played was unreal, but there is no reason they couldn;t have beaten LSU or Florida. Sadly, last year when the BCS title game was announced I just KNEW Florida would win that game, I even made a few friendly bets with co-workrs that Florida would win by 2 scores, even though I rooted like crazy for OU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 12:57 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
I agree with Synopsis here. I'm originally from Wisconsin, and our beloved Badgers have had a decent run under Barry Alvarez with top 10 or even top 5 finishes, but never considered elite.
When I moved to Oklahoma, I figured I'd be able to see what it's like when your team wins the NC.
Kinda dissapointing, given how powerful the Sooners are. I know we can;t expect a NC every year, and that USC team they played was unreal, but there is no reason they couldn;t have beaten LSU or Florida. Sadly, last year when the BCS title game was announced I just KNEW Florida would win that game, I even made a few friendly bets with co-workrs that Florida would win by 2 scores, even though I rooted like crazy for OU

>>>>>
but there is no reason they couldn;t have beaten LSU or Florida
<<<<<

True story. We had the athletes to match up. No reason except for poor preparation IMO.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:34 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,850,258 times
I hate to see them be like Ohio State, where everyone starts rooting for them to lose just because they don't want to see them in the championship game. I have a feeling that will probably start happening this season.

Still better than it used to be. I believe they went something like 10 quarters without a touchdown at the end of the Blake years.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:14 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
OU has always had top athletes. In recent years the coach hasn't matched up with that talent. Bob Stoops won the National Championship with ANOTHER coaches players. He can't seem to do the same with the ones he recruits.

He's a fairly decent coach but when you have that kind of talent and get to NC games, it's just a damn shame that you blow it big time and embarrass the entire state with your team's performance by getting blown out by big teams and outcoached by teams with sub par players.

That debacle with USC just made me lose faith in Stoops as a coach forever. He had no control in that game and his coaching sucked to high heaven.

Loser is the word....

Time for a new era in OU football, and that era is one without coach "little game" Stoops. He's no longer a big game coach because he constantly loses big games. Let him go back to Iowa or wherever he came from.

Barry Switzer was never a loser like him. Switzer was a constant winner and performed as expected in the big games. Growing up, Switzer ALWAYS won the big games; he didn't squander opportunities like Stoopid does every year.

Stoopid... Go home to Ohio, Iowa, Michigan, or wherever it is that you are from.. We don't need you anymore because you have wasted countless opportunities with untold talent.

You can get to the big game, but look like the biggest ******* in the world once you get there. Your players are unprepared and your coaching is abysmal. You EMBARRASS the state of Oklahoma year after year in HUGE games on national television.

Good F*ing riddens after this season when your team performs like **** once again.

No more National Titles for OU while Stoopid is the coach; I guarantee it. "If" he's even around for the next few years.

Last edited by Synopsis; 07-13-2009 at 05:33 PM..

Old 07-13-2009, 08:38 PM

702 posts, read 2,517,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
OU has always had top athletes. In recent years the coach hasn't matched up with that talent. Bob Stoops won the National Championship with ANOTHER coaches players. He can't seem to do the same with the ones he recruits.

He's a fairly decent coach but when you have that kind of talent and get to NC games, it's just a damn shame that you blow it big time and embarrass the entire state with your team's performance by getting blown out by big teams and outcoached by teams with sub par players.

That debacle with USC just made me lose faith in Stoops as a coach forever. He had no control in that game and his coaching sucked to high heaven.

Loser is the word....

Time for a new era in OU football, and that era is one without coach "little game" Stoops. He's no longer a big game coach because he constantly loses big games. Let him go back to Iowa or wherever he came from.

Barry Switzer was never a loser like him. Switzer was a constant winner and performed as expected in the big games. Growing up, Switzer ALWAYS won the big games; he didn't squander opportunities like Stoopid does every year.

Stoopid... Go home to Ohio, Iowa, Michigan, or wherever it is that you are from.. We don't need you anymore because you have wasted countless opportunities with untold talent.

You can get to the big game, but look like the biggest ******* in the world once you get there. Your players are unprepared and your coaching is abysmal. You EMBARRASS the state of Oklahoma year after year in HUGE games on national television.

Good F*ing riddens after this season when your team performs like **** once again.

No more National Titles for OU while Stoopid is the coach; I guarantee it. "If" he's even around for the next few years.
Must be a longhorn fan!

Last edited by Administrator; 10-13-2011 at 07:56 AM.. Reason: copyright infringement

Old 07-13-2009, 08:44 PM

I've been a Sooner fan since the day I was born. I just remember when we performed well on the national stage instead of being embarrassed by third tier teams and getting our butts whooped by teams like USC.

The last eight years we have had the opportunity to win several more national championships and we threw them away. Bob Stoops looked like a deer in the headlights in all of those games.

I remember when we were respected instead of laughed at when it came to national attention.

Oklahoma has become the Buffalo Bills of the college football world.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:42 PM

4,077 posts, read 5,608,852 times
Quote:

Loser is the word....

Growing up, Switzer ALWAYS won the big games; he didn't squander opportunities like Stoopid does every year.

Quote:
I've been a Sooner fan since the day I was born. I just remember when we performed well on the national stage instead of being embarrassed by third tier teams and getting our butts whooped by teams like USC.

The last eight years we have had the opportunity to win several more national championships and we threw them away. Bob Stoops looked like a deer in the headlights in all of those games.

I remember when we were respected instead of laughed at when it came to national attention.

Oklahoma has become the Buffalo Bills of the college football world.
You've lost it.

OU wins its 8th this year, mark it.

Seriously though, you are freakin delusional. Switzer and Wilkinson didn't win every big game.

Stoopid? Really?!? You can't be serious.

When Saxet fans would agree with every word you say, then what you are saying is wrong. jes sayin.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:00 AM

Oklahoma won national championships in 1974, 1975 and 1985 under Switzer's leadership. The team won or shared in the Big 8 championship every year from 1973 to 1980. During his sixteen years as head coach at Oklahoma, his teams won eight of the thirteen post-season bowl games they played in.

Stoops has a record of 4-6 in post-season bowl games.

The statistics don't lie. He's a loser in the post season.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:34 AM

687 posts, read 2,350,898 times
Quote:
Oklahoma won national championships in 1974, 1975 and 1985 under Switzer's leadership. The team won or shared in the Big 8 championship every year from 1973 to 1980. During his sixteen years as head coach at Oklahoma, his teams won eight of the thirteen post-season bowl games they played in.

Stoops has a record of 4-6 in post-season bowl games.

The statistics don't lie. He's a loser in the post season.
I think you're exaggerating. While 4-6 isn't stellar, it's no reason to lynch him.

Would you rather have Blake or Schnellenberger?

Old 07-14-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOkie View Post
I think you're exaggerating. While 4-6 isn't stellar, it's no reason to lynch him.

Would you rather have Blake or Schnellenberger?
Of course not. It's not that he has lost so many post season games but the manner in which he has done it. Losing is not a problem with me as much as the way in which it happens. Losing to BOISE STATE for crying out loud with a statue of liberty play in the final seconds? Where was the defense that day? And don't even get me started on USC. That was the most embarrassing game for OU that I have ever witnessed; it's when I lost total faith in this coach.

I think OU needs two coaches; one for the regular season (stoops) and another for the post season (yet to be named).

I'm tired of this team under performing with such stellar talent.

Losing to Boise State the way they did and the embarrassing debacle with USC literally beating the **** out of OU made me lose faith in "deer in the headlights" stoops.

Last edited by Synopsis; 07-14-2009 at 07:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa