Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 12:33 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,518,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaRam View Post
I guess the question that I have to ask is: Do you feel safe when you go somewhere in Tulsa?

I will admit that there are parts of Tulsa that I prefer to visit over others as it seems that crime is more pronounced is some parts of the city.

One other thing - I do not consider the UTW to be a good source for unbiased information. There are some good people articles in the publication, but the "objective" reporting is quite subjective. I apprecaite them in the winter as I have an ignition starter for my fireplace.
Yes do fee safe when I go somewhere although I am aware of my surroundings. I also try to stay out of some areas if I can of course that is not always possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 04:27 PM

79 posts, read 98,908 times
Numbers don't lie but I guess some people choose to keep their head buried in the sand rather than deal with negative issues that effect everyone no matter what part of the city you live in.

Compare Tulsa with San Diego [ 2007-2008] which has 3 times the population of Tulsa and Tulsa's murder rate per capita is disgraceful.

http://frankwarner.typepad.com/.a/6a...6cf4fbc970b-pi

Old 10-03-2009, 08:49 PM

72 posts, read 166,006 times
OK, so what is your solution to reduce the number of murders in Tulsa?

As I said, I am not insensitive to the loss of life. I had a friend who was killed by her boyfriend the night before Thanksgiving three years ago. He hit her head so hard that she never regained consciousness. She laid in the floor all night before the guy decided that he might need to get her some help. She died at the hospital about an hour after arrival.

My wife was on the jury of a murder case last year. Some guys beat a homeless man to death with punches, kicks...then threw a television set on his head. They left, then returned and beat him again (although it is thought he died from the first attack) with more kicks and punches....and then hit him with the edges of cabinet doors. Due to the poor collection of evidence, the jury could not convict the defendent (though his older brother plea-bargained and received a life sentence, I believe).

So what do you propose to stop situations like these? People know that murder is wrong and they run the risk of the death penalty.

Despite these horrible acts, I still think that Tulsa is a great place to live. I know people that raise money for cancer research. At my work, I see people donate time, money, and effort to fill up multiple Marine 2.5 ton trucks with toys for Toys for Tots each December. I see many people that give of themselves to help others because they feel it is the right thing to do.

The town has a new arena that brings many acts to Tulsa that normally would not come here. This venue also generates revenue for the city.

The roads are finally starting to be improved (long time coming).

I do pretty good these days. I'm not rich, but I do all right. Back in 1986, I got laid off three weeks before Christmas and three weeks after my second daughter was born. I ended up going to Neighbor for Neighbor and United Methodist Cooperative Ministeries to get food and diaper. When not looking for a job, I picked up lice medicine cans, syringes, and a multitude of garbage at a Section 8 apartment complex. Nobody had to help me, but many did.

I could go on and on citing examples...but with the good and the bad, Tulsa is still a great place to live.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:24 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,469,838 times
That's a good site, Fenderman. It looks like the murder rate has dropped in many cities. That's the good thing about that list.

Alpha, I like your positive post and it's obvious that you and the people you choose to hang out with are good and caring and selfless people. Sorry you went through rough times cause I know how it feels. We went through that about 30 years ago and it's rough.

You asked what could be done about the murder rate and I'm just sort of tossing this out there. Would more of a police presence bring it down? I recently read that there was some funding available for Tulsa to increase their police dept. numbers. There were some strings attached like there always is when you receive federal funding so Tulsa wasn't sure if they were going to accept it. I realize it won't stop every murder, but wouldn't it decrease it?

Question~do you guys have the death penalty down there?

Old 10-04-2009, 05:39 AM

Question~do you guys have the death penalty down there?[/quote]

Yes, we have the death penalty in Oklahoma but it takes several YEARS before anyone is executed,even for brutal crimes.
One of our most famous cases involved Roger Dale Stafford herding 6 people into a meat locker at a Sirloin Stockade in OKC and murdering them. He also killed an Air Force family on the roadside.After all this it took years [FROM 1978 TO 1995] to FINALLY execute him. This is what is wrong with the death penalty and why it does not deter crime.
Public Executions immediately after the verdict would reduce the murders.Judge Roy Bean had it right " Give them a trial and then take "em" out back and hang "em".

Murder begins in the heart and man cannot fix heart problems but swift judgement and executions can deal with the aftermath.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Dale_Stafford

Tim McVey was executed relatively quick because the Feds were involved and it was a high profile case.

Last edited by Fenderman; 10-04-2009 at 05:53 AM..

Old 10-04-2009, 08:10 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,999,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderman View Post
Tim McVey was executed relatively quick because the Feds were involved and it was a high profile case.
He also said to get it over with.......he refused to pursue every legal avenue to get it appealed.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:20 AM

"Murder begins in the heart and man cannot fix heart problems but swift judgement and executions can deal with the aftermath."

I think you hit the nail on the head - in general, there is not much that can be done about murder to prevent it. When many people commit it, they are in an emotional state that does not consider consequence.

That being said, and considering that many people are murdered in other communities, does this make all places to live bad? Is there nothing about Tulsa that makes it a good place to live (in your mind)?

Old 10-04-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Yes, we have the death penalty in Oklahoma but it takes several YEARS before anyone is executed,even for brutal crimes.
One of our most famous cases involved Roger Dale Stafford herding 6 people into a meat locker at a Sirloin Stockade in OKC and murdering them. He also killed an Air Force family on the roadside.After all this it took years [FROM 1978 TO 1995] to FINALLY execute him. This is what is wrong with the death penalty and why it does not deter crime.
Public Executions immediately after the verdict would reduce the murders.Judge Roy Bean had it right " Give them a trial and then take "em" out back and hang "em".

Murder begins in the heart and man cannot fix heart problems but swift judgement and executions can deal with the aftermath.

Roger Dale Stafford - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sorry for another quote - but I thought I would share this.

I had a friend who was killed in the OKC bombing. Her name is Trudy Rigney. She and her daughter were homeless, but people here in Tulsa helped her to get a place to live and get her an education. I met her while attending Tulsa Junior College (now Tulsa Community College) where she carried a 4.0 GPA. Trudy got a scholarship to OU and was studying environmental science and planned to eventually become an attorney. She was working on her internship at the Water Resources Board building in OKC when the bomb went off. She was about 4 weeks away from graduating from OU when she was killed.

I had a 16 year old daughter pass away five years ago on Friday. It was a sudden thing and quite unexpected. It pains me everyday and I never know what will trigger me into tears on any given day. I have lost a brother and my dad since that time.

I have fought and beat cancer. I still take a literal handful of medicines every day for a variety of ailments.

It is easy to focus on the negative things and I have many things in that category that I could focus upon. However, I choose to look at the good and the bad.

This is my point: Look at the good and bad before making a judgement.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:07 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,469,838 times
It's the same way here. We also have the death penalty, but it takes about ten years until it's ever carried out. Too many appeals. I know I'd feel differently if someone I love was murdered, but I'm just not sure if I support the death penalty. In some situations I do and in others I don't. Kinda wishy-washy, I know. But it is a serious thing. Now someone like Stafford~no doubt about it. He must've been a brutal sociopath and no rehab in sight for that guy. I've never heard of him and the things he did are horrible.

Alpha, sorry to hear about your losses. I know it's hard and I've gone through devastating losses in life, too. I've never discussed them on the forum and probably never will. Just too painful. BUT I know what you're going through and I wish you peace. It's very difficult, I know and yet you seem like you've kept your positive attitudes.

Timothy McVeigh~now he's someone none of us will ever forget. We had a relatives who was stationed down there at the time of the incident. I guess you could feel the blast for miles. It's so sad about the young Mother who lost her life and for everyone who had to die needlessly.

Strange thing~his original target was up here. He had intended on bombing our Federal Bldg. in Sx. Falls, but he changed his mind because he felt he wouldn't murder enough people. What a horrible man!

Old 10-04-2009, 12:59 PM

This is my point: Look at the good and bad before making a judgement.[/quote]

Yeah, you point out the good things and I'll point out the bad things and that will keep this thread in balance.

An Atom stays in balance because of Positive AND Negative charges.
For electricity to work you need both a positive AND A negative connection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa