Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 05:59 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,240,797 times

Advertisements

The weather channel and the history channel is all I can stand anymore
and even they have gone downhill.

:^/

Thank goodness for movies because most of what is on TV these days is pure crapola.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 06:02 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,648,036 times
then, why post in the television section? try books!

Old 08-31-2010, 06:55 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,794,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post

Old 09-01-2010, 04:47 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
I posted these comments on another thread, but I actually think they are more appropriate here:

I find it utterly baffling when people complain that "there's nothing on TV." I've never even seen most of the higher rated shows on TV (no dancing, singing, reality programs, or even sitcoms for me) and still there are more shows to watch than I have time for -- and I only subscribe to lower tier cable! Imagine what I have to look at if I got HBO.

Any universe in which you have your choice of watching Return to Cranford (PBS), NCIS (CBS), Modern Family (ABC), the Olympics (NBC), The Simpsons (FOX) -- all on regular network TV -- or Mad Men (AMC), Damages (FX), Memphis Beat (TNT), White Collar (USA), Friday Night Lights (DirecTV), Top Chef (Bravo), Georgia O'Keeffe (Lifetime), Chelsea Lately (E!), The Colbert Report (Comedy Central), Wizards of Waverly (Disney) -- on lower-level cable -- The Pacific (HBO), The Pillars of the Earth (Starz), Brotherhood (Showtime), , -- on premium cable -- not to mention 24/7 news, sports, sitcom reruns, informational TV (Food Network, HGTV, etc.), and shows about people who have a perverse number of children ... YOU HAVE VARIETY!

A virtual universe is at your disposal, people. Television is in its second golden age.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:04 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I've got 250 channels and even though there is a lot on not much of it interests me, problem with todays cable service is you have to subscribe to all manner of boring stuff to get the channels you want, out of those 250 channels i watch programs on only 36 of them and of those what i do watch are the occasional special event so i actually only watch about a dozen channels so it is true that you can have many channels and theres nothing on..
Jukesgrrl If all those shows you listed were my only options i'd probably turn the tv off as my idea of interesting tv would be various sporting events, action shows, and some documentaries like whats on NOVA this week.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:38 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post

Ya think?

Just like the people who say "I can't this show and can't wait for it be gone....but as long as it's on, I will hate to watch it."

What?

Old 09-01-2010, 08:28 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,147,130 times
I agree, TV is pretty terrible as a whole. But I think movies are even worse.

However, if you take the time to get away from Network TV and the popular blockbuster movies, there are some gems.

In the end, I can usually find a TV show or movie to entertain me. If not, there are so many other choices; books, exercise, citydata!

Old 09-02-2010, 10:28 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I posted these comments on another thread, but I actually think they are more appropriate here:

I find it utterly baffling when people complain that "there's nothing on TV." I've never even seen most of the higher rated shows on TV (no dancing, singing, reality programs, or even sitcoms for me) and still there are more shows to watch than I have time for -- and I only subscribe to lower tier cable! Imagine what I have to look at if I got HBO.

Any universe in which you have your choice of watching Return to Cranford (PBS), NCIS (CBS), Modern Family (ABC), the Olympics (NBC), The Simpsons (FOX) -- all on regular network TV -- or Mad Men (AMC), Damages (FX), Memphis Beat (TNT), White Collar (USA), Friday Night Lights (DirecTV), Top Chef (Bravo), Georgia O'Keeffe (Lifetime), Chelsea Lately (E!), The Colbert Report (Comedy Central), Wizards of Waverly (Disney) -- on lower-level cable -- The Pacific (HBO), The Pillars of the Earth (Starz), Brotherhood (Showtime), , -- on premium cable -- not to mention 24/7 news, sports, sitcom reruns, informational TV (Food Network, HGTV, etc.), and shows about people who have a perverse number of children ... YOU HAVE VARIETY!

A virtual universe is at your disposal, people. Television is in its second golden age.
I agree 100%. There is more variety and more quality programming now than ever before.
Some current favorites:
'The Choir' on BBCA
'Lie to Me' on FOX
'The Glades' on A&E
All of the scripted shows on USA ('Burn Notice', 'Covert Affairs', 'White Collar'...)
The U.S. Open on the Tennis channel
'Warehouse 13', 'Eureka' and 'Haven' on SyFy, as well as the occasional guilty pleasure monster movie (giant squid, gator... attacks people who should know better)
'Drop Dead Diva' on Lifetime
'Last Chance Highway' on Animal Planet
'MasterChef' on Fox
Anything on HGTV

I wonder, just what is it that people want to watch?

Old 09-02-2010, 10:32 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,648,036 times
tigerlily, you left out Mad Men, Rubicon, Rescue Me, True Blood. These go along pretty well with the shows you named. Also, if you missed Justified that was on FX, look for it.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:34 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
there is a lot to learn and some pretty awesome stuff on tv. i like to get my non google news morning news from german channel - they do a morning broadcast in english. PBS has constant academic shows where i learn about everything from sea monkeys to the rise of the modern nation state to how to fix plumbing in an old farmous. with new High-def frequencies PBS has something like 5 different channels in my market. i also enjoy watching sports on sunday. there are a variety of sitcoms, dramas, and reality shows, some of which i watch. my wife and i like to watch "survivor" together on thursday and we also enjoy the big bang theory and a few others.

funny, the weather channel is one of my least favorites. in my book, weather hardly classifies as news, much less enough news to get its own channel. but to each his own and we are certainly spoilt for choice when it comes to TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV