Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 03:10 PM

445 posts, read 1,605,926 times

Advertisements

Everybody Loves Raymond - see enough b*tching and moaning in real life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 05:31 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,970,598 times
Seinfeld
Cosby
Friends
Home Improvement
I Love Lucy (every time she does that crying bit I want to strangle her)
The Nanny (do they really talk like that back there?)

Old 09-17-2010, 05:36 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,004,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Seinfeld
Cosby
Friends
Home Improvement
I Love Lucy (every time she does that crying bit I want to strangle her)
The Nanny (do they really talk like that back there?)
Yuck, Friends. My cousin loves that show.

Yes - and some people talk like that NOW.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:50 PM

840 posts, read 2,088,305 times
Whoever put My Wife and Kids, I want to meet you and slap you, the shows is hilarious. The episode when they Chaperoned Clair's prom is one of the funniest episode that been on TV this decade.

Unfunny Shows

1. The Office, Mind numbing and I think it makes you dumber
2. One on One, it was funny than it stopped glad it was cancelled

Funniest Shows (3 way tie)
1. Thats So Raven (too funny)
2. Suite Life on Deck (All the characters on the show fit together so well, and Brenda Song as London Tipton is priceless)
3 Everybody Hates Chris (This show is a modern classic, when it first came out I thought it would flop cause of the name, but it turned out that I loved the show cause it was so relatable,)

Old 09-18-2010, 05:24 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,542,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenoid View Post
Everybody Loves Raymond - see enough b*tching and moaning in real life!
LOL.......I don't love him...... I agree with you....kinda predictable and boring TV show.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:27 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,542,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Yuck, Friends. My cousin loves that show.

Yes - and some people talk like that NOW.
I never could stand FRIENDS....I never understood the hype....same with THE OFFICE and MODERN FAMILY.....absolutely, atrociously, awful shows..

Old 09-19-2010, 06:54 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,086,085 times
My list would also be very long, but a few of the top of my head:

Family Guy-The jokes are completely irrelevant to the plot. I also can't stand to listen to the voices of the characters.

The Office-It's had a few moments, but overall I think the show is boring and flat.

Friends-A wanna-be Seinfeld, and a miserable failure at that.

Everybody Loves Raymond-Just don't like it. Any of it.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia-It comes off as sophmoric to me.

But hey, to each his own. A lot of people are listing Seinfeld on here, and that's one of my all-time favorite shows.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:28 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,576,349 times
Of late I've kind of gotten into The Office, US version I still don't like the British one, but I do see why it could be a big turn off. It's kind of a continuing drama in some ways and the awkward/dark quality of many of the episodes can be a little bit off-putting. There are plenty of funnier workplace comedies like Cheers, Newsradio, etc. That and this last season was kind of bleh on the whole. Still I like that they're mostly average people in middle-class circumstance. There for awhile it seemed like NBC sitcoms were only about witty and sophisticated urban-dwellers, this is possibly why I never gelled with 30 Rock (been there, done that, no longer care), with some "white trash" side-dishes like "My Name is Earl" thrown in. Also I like King of the Hill and several of the people who did KotH do The Office. King of the Hill is maybe more believable in some ways, but it kind of got in a rut there too after awhile.

I guess some comedies I never got into at all include

Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet - I almost think people watched it because TV was new to them.

Sanford and Son - Red Foxx irritated me for some reason. The theme song is okay though.

Three's Company - Blah, but I guess John Ritter was an okay guy and it's certainly sad he died young.

Designing Women - I was not the audience they had in mind, at least I don't think.

Family Matters - It was "okay not great" at first, but when Urkel became increasingly dominant and wacky it really lost me.

King of Queens - Kind of took "Fat guy marries attractive yet witchy woman" to the logical conclusion, but that's not necessarily anything I want.

Frasier - I sometimes try to pretend Frasier is still a character whose scientist father died and who had no siblings. I really disliked the Frasier of Frasier when I didn't dislike him in Cheers or Wings in his guest appearance. Still there was a couple episodes I liked okay.

Two and a Half Man - Aargh!

I disliked Friends too, but I'd have to admit I did find it funny at times. What I disliked was that the characters were really vapid and irritating, but they almost seemed aggressive that you like them or consider them "cool." It was like having to spend a half-hour with the "cool kids" in High School when you really couldn't stand them and you know they felt likewise. I liked the first few seasons of Seinfeld, I love the limo episode, but at some point my hatred of the characters just made watching it unpleasant. (I still don't think they were as hateful in the early seasons as they became. I think early on they were just insensitive and petty, they became almost like actively malicious at some point and I rarely find that funny)

Old 09-19-2010, 12:02 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,169,216 times
God, it would take several pages to list all the non-funny sitcoms...most of them are awful, geared toward the lowest common denominator audiences. So I'll just name a few that I tried to get into due to their popularity and/or critical acclaim, and hated: The Office, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, Frasier, Big Bang Theory, Scrubs, That 70s Show...

I've always been on the fence with Friends--most of the time I found it really annoying but there were some very funny moments as well--but I have to be in just the right mood to watch it. Seinfeld's kind of the same way.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:18 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,472,976 times
Humor is very subjective. What makes one person laugh will leave another scratching their heads saying "Huh?"

Unfunny to me:

The Office

Modern Family

Lucy

Three's Company

Rhoda

I tend to stay away from sitcoms centered around families. They all seem the same to me: bratty kids and hapless parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV