Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2014, 10:51 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,619,045 times

Advertisements

Here are the bits from episode 1 that I liked.

The hit that Lucky Luciano set up was pretty accurate historically. I will refrain from naming who got hit, in case readers have not seen the episode, but historically this hit as well as one further hit resulted in the formal organization of the Mafia families.

The actor (not sure what the name is) portraying the young Commadore did a great job of acting like a younger version of Dabney Coleman who played the Commadore in previous seasons.

However, the rest of the first episode was pretty slow. Specifically the rest of the flashback scenes as well as the drawn out scenes with Chalky were far, far too long.

Lastly, I do not like the new bodygaurd Nucky is using. He just does not compare to Jimmy, Owen and Harrow in terms of holding my interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 02:37 AM

6,395 posts, read 6,282,580 times
Nucky new bodyguard? the Cuban?? I actually thought he was w Arquette character. I thought they "went home together" not in a protective way but in a "we're doing it" kinda way.

I don't know the name "Dabney Coleman" and wasnt sure if it was the same person playing the commodore made to "look younger!" They look a lot alike. Or its just the clothes and period.

I LOVED the flashback scenes!! But i have always been a huge fan of them. I like to know where a character came from and how s/he was shaped. I think there will be more (yay for me! )

Yes, Chalky's scenes were too long and unfortunately i lost interest in his character when Dr Narcissus entered the pict.

I loved seeing those late 1880s houses and how bare bones they were.

And the hand cutting scene! Did they really used to do that?? Like little girls who used to prick their fingers only on a much larger scale. . . . . If they really DID used to do that, then i think they are all very lucky that there was not a run of Syphilis, Hep B, etc throughout the mob!

Old 09-08-2014, 04:56 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,951,155 times
I thought episode 1 was choppy and a bit confusing. I love the series, but there seemed to be a big disconnect between season 4 and season 5.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:15 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,744,693 times
I miss Harrow

Old 09-08-2014, 08:36 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,006,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I thought episode 1 was choppy and a bit confusing. I love the series, but there seemed to be a big disconnect between season 4 and season 5.
I thought it was interesting that they showed Pre-Castro Cuba but even then you can start to see some glimpses of what would later become the Cuban revolution with that quick scene with the opposers/protestors of the Cuban government.

An interesting fact is that Fidel Castro was been only 5 years old in 1931.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:48 PM

6,395 posts, read 6,282,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I miss Harrow
Me too! And Jimmy

Old 09-08-2014, 10:12 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
Other than the hit on Masseria and attempt on Nucky (who would've done it...Lansky?), it was indeed a boring episode. All storylines being set up for the rest of the season, but with only 7 episodes left, it does feel like they need to compensate quickly.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:26 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I miss Harrow
Me too.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:59 AM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
This show must've really jumped the shark for no one to be talking about it after an episode. Have to admit I'm not too engrossed either, beyond the main storyline of Nucky vs Luciano/Lansky, and was really hoping to never see Gretchen Mol's character again.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:12 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,240,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
This show must've really jumped the shark for no one to be talking about it after an episode. Have to admit I'm not too engrossed either, beyond the main storyline of Nucky vs Luciano/Lansky, and was really hoping to never see Gretchen Mol's character again.

We said the same thing last night. I thought Jillian was out of the series after they locked her up in the ward. I can't understand what bringing her back adds to the show. Considering it's the last season, I have no idea how she ties into the storyline again. Other than the Lucky vs Luciano/Lansky, I do like the flashbacks because I think it really shows how Nucky became to be the person he was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV