Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2010, 04:58 PM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times

Advertisements

The TV is on almost all day (even if on Sirius music) but I seldom watch but found myself turning around for the Bonnie Hunt show a lot.
Light, bright, funny and a great start for the rest of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 05:26 PM

750 posts, read 1,435,076 times
Yes. She was on in the afternoon here... 3 pm. Loved her show. Hate that it was cancelled. Reruns of old America's favorite home videos or some such is on instead. No doubt cheaper for the station. I did read that one of the main problems was that her show was "too clean". Not enough dirty sexy stuff that attracts the 18-35 demographic the advertisers want. Because people over age 35 never spend money or buy things. Those advertising execs are brilliant, aren't they? They all fight over one of the smallest segments of the US population; the segment hit hardest by the recession.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:13 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,852,080 times
I knew she had a show and had watched it occassionally. But I didn't want to overdo it because I just love her so much. To me she is one of the most memorable parts of "Dave" (we're walking, we're walking") and "Rainman". I never miss her when she shows up on Letterman either.

She's the one "celebrity" crush of mine that my wife never gets jealous of.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:50 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
I like her a lot, but I thought her show was boring. She's bright and funny...she'd be fun at lunch...but the show never captured me. I do appreciate her subtle wit.
I think I identified with the midwestern ethos of Bonnie Hunt, but at the same time, I think I am turned off by women who choose not to be mothers, and also choose to be single.
I've noticed that I do not connect with female artists who are like this, and perhaps this is why I left Bonnie Hunt behind also. I have trouble identifying with Oprah for the same reason.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:07 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,817,252 times
Who?

Old 10-11-2010, 04:23 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish22 View Post
Who?
A bright,funny, witty lady who is boring because she doesn't have kids.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:57 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,894,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think I identified with the midwestern ethos of Bonnie Hunt, but at the same time, I think I am turned off by women who choose not to be mothers, and also choose to be single.
I've noticed that I do not connect with female artists who are like this, and perhaps this is why I left Bonnie Hunt behind also. I have trouble identifying with Oprah for the same reason.
What is this -- 1800? We don't all have to spit out kids to justify ridiculous antedeluvian opinions. Tell ya what -- you have as many kids as you want (although, since it's hard to tell whether you're male or female, you might need the cooperation of someone with two X chromosomes in that endeavor), and keep the criticism of those of us who have chosen to remain childless, whether married or single, alone without the smarmy criticism.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:06 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,224,162 times
Was she cancelled or did she elect to stop "while at the top"? I thought she elected to go off the air, maybe because viewership was declining I don't know.
I did like her, never thought of her as Midwestern before but now that you mention it - yes, or at least not all big Hollywood. Her interviews etc were nicely down to earth. Sometimes I thought there was a little too much of the down to earth stuff-she was very big on talking how to save a buck and low cal etc. A little too much for me - but - that's not to say that I would have been happier with increased sex or Hollyweirdness.

I'm surprised to hear she isn't or at least wasn't married and have kids. From watching the show I would have thought that she was a mother, maybe one who didn't parade her kids around in the public view but she seemed sort of hausfrauish to me and I assumed she did. So I guess it really isn't about her but just what you assume were her choices. Maybe she couldn't have kids? Maybe she harbors a genetic disease she didn't want to pass on, maybe she knew she wouldn't make a very good parent - its a little unpleasant to hear that attitude. I'm guessing you have passed this on to your kids?

Its people with this attitude that make everyone feel like they have to conform or be ousted from society, so we end up with a lot of screwed up children who have parents who really aren't that good at it.
A lot of people hate on people who aren't mirror views of them in the mainstream. Not sure why. Probably a variety of reasons, one of which might be "I had to submit to mainstream and not make my own choices and therefore hate anyone who didn't".

Wonder how you feel about Ellen? She is married and seems to love kids.

On the other hand you have a right to your opinion and I sort of understand - I feel the same way about people who have no affinity for animals. They seem so self-centered and herdish to me if not downright sort of unkind.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:32 AM

750 posts, read 1,435,076 times
I agree with everything you said, Giesela. People like gentlearts,who are openly and unapologetically "turned off by women who choose not to be mothers, and also choose to be single" are a valuable source of understanding just how very closed (or maybe "hermetically sealed") a person's mind can be. It's fascinating to me. I thought we had come so far as a society in accepting each others' differences, only to be brought up short by someone saying something like this. So little understanding of how or why people make decisions or have circumstances foisted upon them that prevent them from having children.

What would gentlearts make of someone who was raped at age 3 by a 17 year old neighbor boy and as a result had her uterus removed due to the damage he caused? Gentlearts would be "turned off" by her, no doubt.

For the record, Bonnie Hunt is divorced. She was an oncology nurse in Chicago for many years, prior to getting into comedy and acting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV