Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 08:20 PM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
Aside from whether or not Oprah gets what non-privileged life is like, I think it's horrific that she would suggest we all insist on clean sheets daily, based on the impact to the environment alone. Even hotels now have little signs asking you to reuse your towels, if possible, to help save water. Just think if everyone in the US washed their sheets daily? And what if everyone in the world did it? Clearly she wasn't thinking that day!

I wonder if she has her sheets hanging on a clothesline in the back yard to save the environment. Plus, nothing is better than clothesline dried sheets anyway, I have been doing it all my life.

and just think if everyone used a dryer to dry them?????that is scary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 07:12 PM

541 posts, read 861,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Anyone agree? Disagree? How might they improve this sinking ship?
I can't stand Oprah and any of her spin off "experts" shows or networks (Rachel Ray, Dr. Oz, Dr. Phil, etc.). I used to not think this way but in the past decade Oprah's impression on me has been of self-importance bordering on extreme arrogance, as if she's saving lives with her shows. Any time I see anything about her on T.V., cable or otherwise, I turn the channel.

I know I'm not alone in those thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I think that Oprah turned a lot of people off when she became this so-called transcendent being; a self-appointed spiritual guide and lifestyle guru...the "Your Best Life Now" stuff. And while I did actually appreciate much of that move to get us to live better lives, it always rang sort of hollow. And here's why....

It is hard for people to take health and weight loss advice from someone who has waged the battle multiple times....and always lost. Whenever, Bob Greene was on her show the thought in my head was, "That's all great advice, but why didn't work for your most (or only) visible client, Oprah?" He must have felt like a fraud sitting onstage telling people what to do while Oprah stands there in all of her glorious chubbiness.
Yes, and yes! Those are part of the many reasons I've been totally turned off by her rhetoric.
Quote:
And then there is the fact that Oprah could really no longer relate to the day-to-day issues of her viewers. There was a show (on hygiene or something) where she was saying that she liked to have fresh sheets (or towels) each and every day; she implied that everyone should do the same. I recall that one of her guests called her out by saying that it was unrealistic to expect the average person to be able to change their sheets daily and that she was privileged. The audience applauded his comment and she shot that guy a serious dagger look. That was the moment when I realized that she no longer "got it."
Wow, I totally remember that episode and thinking "What an arrogant b****! It would be nice if we all had hired help to give us fresh linens daily when we commanded it!". Yeah, that episode did leave a lasting impression on me! Glad you remembered it!

Last edited by Tantamount; 02-18-2012 at 07:23 PM..

Old 02-20-2012, 07:35 AM

3,985 posts, read 5,016,050 times
I'd say that's it...that she is some self-appointed guru...and so hypocritical and out of touch. And don't you just know her sheets are 2000 count probably and cost a thousand bucks...I could be low-balling, who knows.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:48 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Oprah lost me as a viewer in 08 when she went political.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:57 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,261,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantamount View Post
I can't stand Oprah and any of her spin off "experts" shows or networks (Rachel Ray, Dr. Oz, Dr. Phil, etc.).

I know I'm not alone in those thoughts.

I agree with you.

I've found Oprah annoying since she first showed up on WJZ-TV in 1974.

People kiss in many different ways. On the lips, on the cheek, on both cheeks, or rubbing noses like the Inuit. While one can't force someone else to kiss in any particular way, the way I'd like to see Oprah and her "expert" friends kiss is off.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:27 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Oprah lost me as a viewer in 08 when she went political.
Although I am a supporter of President Obama (and Oprah), I also thought that she crossed a line and broke an unwritten rule about not publicly endorsing political candidates.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:53 AM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Although I am a supporter of President Obama (and Oprah), I also thought that she crossed a line and broke an unwritten rule about not publicly endorsing political candidates.

I agree. While it is her show and she has the right to do as she pleases, this was wrong.
Funny, how the ONLY candidate she ever endorsed on her show, just happened to be black, funny, isn't it....

On one of her shows I remember her saying this phrase:

"I will never justify myself to no white woman"

that's when I 'got' her..........and didn't like her anymore

Old 02-24-2012, 05:02 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I agree. While it is her show and she has the right to do as she pleases, this was wrong.
Funny, how the ONLY candidate she ever endorsed on her show, just happened to be black, funny, isn't it....

On one of her shows I remember her saying this phrase:

"I will never justify myself to no white woman"

that's when I 'got' her..........and didn't like her anymore

Oprah has accomplished a lot of amazing things in her life and against great odds....and because of this, she definitely has "issues"...major "issues"

Old 02-26-2012, 05:02 PM

541 posts, read 861,363 times
Quote:
Oprah has accomplished a lot of amazing things in her life and against great odds....and because of this, she definitely has "issues"...major "issues"
I know they say she came from a poor southern background, but I remember an particular episode where they showed the home she lived in as a child. This was a nice Brick home not some broken down shack. Upon seeing a tour of the three bedroom home (where Oprah had her own bedroom), I thought, "wow, my childhood dwellings were so much worse, but I don't recall feeling very poor or using that as an excuse to gain sympathy".

Some things about her past just didn't add up, like her supposedly overcoming a drug addiction, an old abusive boyfriend, poor childhood, etc. I know things are overly dramatized on t.v. to gain interest, but the more she "opened up" about herself, the more I was questioning why I ever watched her show or trusted anything she said.

And her going all political campaigning for Obama was over the line, in my opinion.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:06 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
I don't get OWN either. I was a bit miffed when she went to a network ( I know it is her OWN)that not everybody can afford to get. I find that a bit hypocritical...since it was us poor folk that made her famous. Does anyone know if you can see it online??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV