Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2013, 10:03 AM

29,765 posts, read 34,469,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
I think her narcissm and lack of maternal instinct has been discussed ad nauseaum. Henry on the other hand seems to be neutral...his interactions with the children aren't negative but they are rare. He seems to pretty much leave Betty to do all of the parenting. Henry accepted the kids as part of the package deal but he's just not that into them.
This was 1968, though. You can't expect 2013 super-involved hands-on dad-type parenting from Don or Henry who are both very much of the generation who believed that the point of having a wife was so that you didn't have to deal with all the kid's business. That's the wife's job.

And we, as viewers, aren't really supposed to like Don. It's not that kind of show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 10:22 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,046,596 times
I didn't say put Eugene is a baby sling and cart the other two kids all over Manhattan. I understand that it was 1968 but to just leave your kids for days and not know nor care about what is going on with them is not normal for any decade. Don has a habit of forgetting that his children exist. Many a time he has completely forgotten that it's his weekend with them and he usually just ends up pawning them off and not doing anything with them. When he took Bobby to the movies after the MLK assasination that was the first time on the show that they ever showed him really interacting with Bobby. Eugene gets nothing from Don and Sally's relationship is growing more strained and distant since she entered the teen years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This was 1968, though. You can't expect 2013 super-involved hands-on dad-type parenting from Don or Henry who are both very much of the generation who believed that the point of having a wife was so that you didn't have to deal with all the kid's business. That's the wife's job.

And we, as viewers, aren't really supposed to like Don. It's not that kind of show.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:25 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,265,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
I remember those shots, got one once and didn't stop for 3 days. Mine was diet related though and it came with these black and red diet pills to be used later. Afterwards I remember talking constantly, spending my whole paycheck in a day, then cleaning like a crazy person. Walls, ceilings, the whole shot. Then crashing and it was a big crash, my husband ended up flushing the pills down the toilet.
My sister and I got the shots a couple times from a "diet" doctor, but no pills. I don't remember "crashing", but we experienced the same highs as you did immediately after the shot. We went to a restaurant and ordered all these "weird" foods and for some reason thought Woolworth's the most wonderful store. I think people reacted differently to the shots, yet everyone at Sterling acted pretty much the same.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:34 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,265,981 times
Quote:

I don't think Megan was irresponsible at all. Sally at 14 should have been able to handle babysitting just fine.
I agree. Maybe Megan was working when she attended the play. Today we might call it networking. In the midwest, we were babysitting at 12 ($.50/hr), and kids in New York were thought to be more mature. At least that's what friends from New York related.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:39 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,497,625 times
I find it ironic that on the show Don Draper sells Chevys but in real life, Jon Hamm sells Mercedes Benz

Old 05-21-2013, 10:50 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,046,596 times
Yes, Megan did say that her boss/agent (can't rember exactly who) wanted to introduce her to some people in the business. Don doesn't care about or take Megan's career aspirations seriously. Don did help her get her first break but he wasn't prepared for her to be a success.

I don't think it's a stretch to believe that Sally could have been deceived by that robber. Don Draper would have been born in the 20s and it wasn't that uncommon to have a black nanny/maid back then. Sally knows nothing about Don's upbringing. For all she knows he grew up just like she did...remember Carla the black nanny/maid from Ossining?

Remember when Sally finally got suspcioius and called the cops? The black lady took the phone and played the maid role perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I agree. Maybe Megan was working when she attended the play. Today we might call it networking. In the midwest, we were babysitting at 12 ($.50/hr), and kids in New York were thought to be more mature. At least that's what friends from New York related.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:10 AM

29,765 posts, read 34,469,808 times
Quote:
I don't think it's a stretch to believe that Sally could have been deceived by that robber. Don Draper would have been born in the 20s and it wasn't that uncommon to have a black nanny/maid back then. Sally knows nothing about Don's upbringing. For all she knows he grew up just like she did...remember Carla the black nanny/maid from Ossining?

Remember when Sally finally got suspcioius and called the cops? The black lady took the phone and played the maid role perfectly.
Right, and that goes along with the episode's larger theme of young people being let down by the people who were supposed to be in charge. Sally was deceived by Ida, Sally was also let down by Megan and Don who left her to fend for herself. Young Don was abused by his stepmother and was taken advantage of by the prostitute who was ostensibly caring for him. Peggy was trying to stay on track for their deadline while Don and Roger and Cutler were bringing in Dr. Feelgood and running around off their heads. Even Gleason's daughter was thrown into the mix because Ted wasn't paying attention.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:13 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,587,786 times
Quote:
Exactly! And mothers who didn't want to deal with the kids hired a nanny/housekeeper, which is what Betty did for at least a decade. Don/Megan could easily do the same.

Quote:
Well, we can like parts of him. He is (was) a great ad man -- really cut to the chase to come up with the best campaign. He can be VERY suave, sexy, debonair... all the things that attract his mistresses. But as a husband/father, uh, no. Haven't seen anything to like there.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:16 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,736,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
I keep thinking back to Harry Hamlin's old job where he roamed the hallways of another office 2000 miles and 20 years away, but he played a hunky young attorney then, now he's a pervy old ad man
Yes, I had briefly forgotten about his L.A. Law Years...he was certifiably stud candy back then. Now, he's like Roger, after Kryptonite has gotten ahold of him. He has the potential to act and looks distinguished and then...sigh. He drops the ball. By comparison, He makes Don's brand of integrity go up a few notches. Don might be a sadist and an eavesdropper, but not a peeping tom. eewww.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:17 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,587,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
My sister and I got the shots a couple times from a "diet" doctor, but no pills. I don't remember "crashing", but we experienced the same highs as you did immediately after the shot. We went to a restaurant and ordered all these "weird" foods and for some reason thought Woolworth's the most wonderful store. I think people reacted differently to the shots, yet everyone at Sterling acted pretty much the same.
I'm not familiar with these "shots", and thought it was hysterical that practically the whole office was getting them! I'm guessing that it actually happened at some ad agency, but wow!

Question: Do you think they offered a shot to Peggy? Or did they consider her too "straight-laced"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV