Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 03:07 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,920,801 times

Advertisements

I've watched 3 episodes of Our America with Lisa Ling on OWN now, and I hate to say it, but it's really good, and this woman is one hell of a journalist.

[Full disclosure: I'm pretty politically conservative-libertarian, and tend to be very pro-America, and I've read some things Ling has said about world events that I vehemently disagree with. And, I do not like the show The View, and would definitely hold it against her that she was on it.]

But......

With this new show, she proves to be a very adept interviewer, getting people to open up about shockingly private matters. And she somehow pulls it off without seeming like she's exploiting people or sensationalizing things just to get ratings. She makes them comfortable and even seems to convey some degree of empathy for people we'd all find it nearly impossible to empathize with (a child molester for example). She's thorough, she asks questions I personally wanted to hear the answers to, and so far, she has be fair & unbiased. I learned something new (actually a lot of new things) from each episode. The show lasts an hour, and at the end, I was wishing it was longer.

The 3 episodes I've seen so far were the one about the registered sex offenders, the one about the freaky "pray the gay away" movement, and the last one, about the new online version of mail-order brides.

I'm actually blown-away. I have a lot of respect for Ling now, and I really think she could become the next Barbara Walters or Diane Sawyer, and probably surpass them, if she's this good at age 37. I'm glad she is not doing stories on politics, because I'm sure her bias would be evident. But y'know what? -- I would at least watch, out of respect for what she's accomplished with this new show, and the high level of professionalism she's demonstrated.

OWN "Our America" website:
Our America with Lisa Ling - OWN TV

Wikipedia info on the episodes:

Our America with Lisa Ling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 03:20 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,634,707 times
I've always thought she was good. Did you see the one she did on North Korea? Loved it.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:26 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,337,733 times
She's always been an excellent journalist. That's why she quit The View. She felt her talents could be used elsewhere. Sorry, but you can report about politics and be unbiased, too. I haven't seen the show, couldn't imagine watching OWN but will definitely check it out. Thanks for the review!

Old 03-18-2011, 12:39 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,718,082 times
I didn't catch the mail order bride episode but I did catch the other 3. They were all good. The pray the gay away was hilarious to me. All of the guys who supposedly "cured" seemed as gay as before. I mean, come on now. Let's just suppress it. That will work!

Old 03-18-2011, 07:20 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,682,858 times
I've only seen the episode on transgendered people. I enjoyed it. I DVR'd the Pray the Gay Away episode but haven't gotten to it yet. I really did delete it, wishing there were just 30 more minutes. I'm liking what I've seen so far.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:51 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,221,830 times
I've watched a few specials with Lisa on ABC, I think it was and was very impressed by her talent at journalism.

Hi, IBfT!!! Good to see ya! Been wondering where ya've been!

Old 03-19-2011, 07:41 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,226,279 times
I dvr'ed the mail order bride one and the DVR cut off the last bit. Did the American guy and the Colombian woman get together?? Stay together? I was bummed to miss the punch line!

Old 03-19-2011, 10:09 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,205,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
I dvr'ed the mail order bride one and the DVR cut off the last bit. Did the American guy and the Colombian woman get together?? Stay together? I was bummed to miss the punch line!
I don't understand the "hate to say it" part, I love the show. I appreciated that she took on the sex offender story, it's good to learn more about them, rather than just thinking of them as boogeyman who are all the same. Hiding from something doesn't make it go away.

I hate it when shows get cut off at the end, that's the worst. They did stay together, they became engaged.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:34 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,778,769 times
She's always been good and that's why it was puzzling that they replaced her with Elizabeth Hasselbeck. Strange and undermining move but whatevs.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:51 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,205,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticatica View Post
She's always been good and that's why it was puzzling that they replaced her with Elizabeth Hasselbeck. Strange and undermining move but whatevs.
Wasn't that her choice to leave? I never watched the View, but I thought I read that somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV