Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 05:19 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,213,159 times

Advertisements

I watched the DVR monday (must be on Sundays? I lose track). Pilot episode. It was ok, the main character is over the top of course. Hollywood seems to think that all cops need to be over the top. He of course meets a struggling med student beautiful women at the hospital so there is a love interest. Actually I realize I sound jaded and I probably am. Yes I remember the original Tubbs and Crocket
That said I will watch again. Good enough to give a second go, probably because of the location. I like shows that really include location specific plot lines (and historical who dun it fiction etc.)
I wish I could say more about it....it was a little formula but what isn't at my age? It seemed like enjoyable enough forumla without being great new forumla

From the website
THE GLADES stars Australian actor Matt Passmore as Jim Longworth, an attractive, brilliant, yet hard to get along with homicide detective from Chicago who is forced into exile after being wrongfully accused of sleeping with his former captain’s wife. Longworth relocates to the sleepy, middle-of-nowhere town of Palm Glade, Florida, where the sunshine and golf are plentiful and crime is seemingly at a minimum. But this town outside the Florida Everglades isn’t quite as idyllic as he thought, as he finds people keep turning up murdered. Each case pulls Longworth off the golf course and reluctantly into his element as one of the sharpest homicide detectives in the field. Learn more about the show...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 06:22 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,166,478 times
My impression was the same. I'll give it another chance because the lead actor is attractive & pilots tend to be kind of lame as a rule. The murder mystery was pretty "meh" though. There's just so many of these quasi-comedic-crime shows that are similar and kind of bland imo--White Collar, Castle, etc. I guess I need a few more laughs or a little more grit to hook me.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:32 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,932,418 times
I was sooooo hoping for more.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:39 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,325,731 times
I'll give it another chance, but only because the ending almost caught me by surprise. I didn't realize until the last moment who the bad guy was. But the lead character is almost too smart-alecky and nearly had me changing the channel.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:37 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
I dont care if i watch this show again I thought it sucked and the main charecter is annoying and dont care for him at all . The plot stinks and it has been done over and over again . Oh well there is my opinion for what it is worth .

Old 07-15-2010, 02:10 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,187,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
... Yes I remember the original Tubbs and Crocket ...
Ah, the good old days I agree with all the other posters here. For my Miami fix these days I'm enjoying Burn Notice on USA Network. On tonight (Thursday 7/15) 9/8c.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:26 PM

I'm still watching. Its sort of average but I don't find it particularly annoying and I kind of like watching the Florida part of it. Have no idea where its really filmed Would love one of those little bungalows on the water.
I sort of enjoyed the bird trafficing one although I wish they hit harder on how bad it is, both in how often it happens and how awful it is for the species involved.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:23 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,694,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I'm still watching. Its sort of average but I don't find it particularly annoying and I kind of like watching the Florida part of it. Have no idea where its really filmed Would love one of those little bungalows on the water.
I sort of enjoyed the bird trafficing one although I wish they hit harder on how bad it is, both in how often it happens and how awful it is for the species involved.
It is filmed on location, as is 'Burn Notice' (see link below).

I'm still watching too, don't hate it, don't love it. I thought that the hurricane episode was better than the first couple. I really like the ME and it was nice seeing Katherine Helmond again.

`The Glades' brings police drama to South Florida - BusinessWeek

Old 07-31-2010, 12:31 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,644,298 times
we are continuing to watch. It is just average, but we are not fond of reality programs. thought the hurricane episode was better than the others.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:26 PM

Ok I'll own up I'm a sucker for anything that is remotely regional outside LA and NYC. So even though the sugarcane really had nothing to do with this episode...the small town, the football trivia etc. is enough for me. If they keep up the local flavor I'll keep watching.
And the show, while not particularly riveting, is watchable.
I think they have reached a point where they need to flesh out some of the more minor characters. I like a slow burn but they have a pretty small cast to start with so they can afford to do a little more with that without waiting much longer. The main guy is good looking, well meaning and glib but its time to add the next ingredient to the pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV