Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 05:09 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,294,472 times

Advertisements

I stopped watching it. Like the rest of TLC's shows, it's exploitative, one dimensional, stretches the truth, etc. This is a good blog about the show:

Help support protest of My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding – Boycott Advertisers | The Gypsy Connection News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fields of Green View Post
I don't think its a good thing that they dress as provacatively as they do, but at least it seems that they have a healthy body image and aren't all hung up about their normal womanly shape.
I thought the same thing and agree. I don't think they look fat at all. As a matter of fact, most of the girls are very pretty young women, IMO.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:15 AM

More information about IT's:

The Travellers: Ireland’s Ethnic Minority

Life expectancy of Irish travellers still at 1940s levels despite economic boom - Europe, World - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/life-expectancy-of-irish-travellers-still-at-1940s-levels-despite-economic-boom-454993.html - broken link)

Friends, Families and Travellers

Old 06-28-2011, 07:35 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,302,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
However they get their money I am sure they come by it legally.
Many "travellers" in the UK fund their lifestyle courtesy of the taxpayer -by exploiting the social security system and, in many cases, supplementing this with the proceeds of petty crime - which may include stealing personal property, pets, livestock or resources such as electricity/water - or by swindling unwary/vulnerable pensioners into paying for unnecessary and poorly performed (or not performed at all) driveway/guttering/roof "repairs".

Whilst they are adept at extracting money from the welfare system "legally" they are not exactly living the blameless and self-sufficient lifestyle that they like to portray - in actuality they are usually occupying (and often trashing, littering and damaging) private property.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:29 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,725,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post
Many "travellers" in the UK fund their lifestyle courtesy of the taxpayer -by exploiting the social security system and, in many cases, supplementing this with the proceeds of petty crime - which may include stealing personal property, pets, livestock or resources such as electricity/water - or by swindling unwary/vulnerable pensioners into paying for unnecessary and poorly performed (or not performed at all) driveway/guttering/roof "repairs".

Whilst they are adept at extracting money from the welfare system "legally" they are not exactly living the blameless and self-sufficient lifestyle that they like to portray - in actuality they are usually occupying (and often trashing, littering and damaging) private property.

These people are CRIMINAL GANGS here in the United States. I worked as a manager of a Staples store back in 1989 and a gang of gypies targeted our store one evening. What they do is to first send in a few people to distract the employees by asking a bunch of questions or going to the registers to ask for change. Once all the employees are "engaged" with someone, another group slips in and starts removing products from the shelves and just walking out the front door. I had been warned with phone call from another store that they were in the area. I was able to shut them down immediately and ejected the entire group from the store withiout incident.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:41 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,721,897 times
this happened in my state about 10 years ago. This is what they are. They deserve ZERO sympathy:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1be_1182420097

http://www.rickross.com/reference/ir...ravelers9.html

Old 06-29-2011, 02:05 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
this happened in my state about 10 years ago. This is what they are. They deserve ZERO sympathy:

LiveLeak.com - Mother goes to town on her child

Inside the world of Irish Travelers

Old 07-23-2011, 08:03 PM

27,438 posts, read 1,054,629 times
A rerun of the travellers on TLC tonight and Roselvr and Field, from the first few posts, pretty much summed up what the episode is about. It's now 9:04, and TLC is showing the piece again, or maybe it's a new episode.

The episode I'm watching ends in a wedding and a reception afterwards. I am struck by the fact that a baby in a stroller (I assume, a little girl baby) is also wearing an outfit that smothers her. The walking toddlers remind me of Shirley Temple in long skirts. Those dresses give new meaning to the phrase Hoop Dreams.

Why does Wikipedia say that they speak a different language?

Last edited by johnniemae; 07-23-2011 at 08:24 PM..

Old 04-14-2012, 12:02 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,474,571 times
I have watched this show for a couple of seasons now and I still don't get it. These people live in trailers with no running water, but somehow have the money to hold these lavish huge weddings. Where do they get the money? Most of these couples are in their teens so they certainly haven't saved up the money. Also why do the girls dress so sleezy?

Old 04-14-2012, 11:20 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,797,863 times
What was telling was the non traveler husband saved 10 YEARS for his wife's ceremony. 10 YEARS - then her traveller folks ran off with the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV