Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 08:29 PM

198 posts, read 444,830 times

Advertisements

Star Trek to me is a show that was excellent in its many iterations, but which was perhaps overexposed by the time we got to Enterprise. The writers had run out of ideas. The characters had become boring. I think it deserved to go on hiatus for an extended period, which it did. I'm not sure I buy the remake by JJ Abrams, though. To me it doesn't feel like Star Trek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 08:32 PM

198 posts, read 444,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
It's "against the grain" here, but among critics I think DS9 is quite widely seen as the better show. I know of many who feel it is the best Trek series. I certainly preferred DS9 to Voyager as Voyager was downright awful for much of seasons 2 and 3.

I think DS9 turned some off for being quite different. At times I think it did go a bit too far in being darker and more cynical than the rest of the Trek Universe. The Federation was shown as having something close to an amoral "Secret Police", which is the main thing I thought was going a bit too far. On top of that Sisko poisoned a planet once, during the occupation Odo turned in some Bajorans to be executed, Kira was a former terrorist, a member of the Maquis was allowed to give a full speech comparing the Federation to the Borg, and the whole idea of Utopia was questioned. (Questioned more than rejected, I don't think it was totally rejecting the values of the Federation just putting them up to scrutiny) In comparison Voyager was way more comforting to the Trek Universe, bordering on being a candy-land. Despite being completely alone their ship never really gets permanently run-down and they never really ran into a situation where Starfleet principles were counter-productive. And for the most part the Maquis quickly assimilate into the Starfleet way of doing things with only minimal tension. They didn't even try to make some kind of "fusion government" between the two or in the rare cases they tried it was generally to show the Federation-way was better.

To give DS9 a bit more exposure.
I was a kid when DS9 came out. I watched the Trek movies and TNG with my Dad. Neither me nor my Dad liked DS9 when it came out. It was very different. The whole idea of them being on one station seemed really boring. The politics on the show initially were also hard to follow if you didn't necessarily watch every episode.

That said, Trek usually takes a couple of seasons to become good, and DS9 didn't really get good until the Dominion was introduced. I got into DS9 more towards the end in the final few seasons, and then afterwards went back and watched all the episodes.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:25 PM

475 posts, read 648,647 times
I think most Star Trek Fans really want a new series that picks up where DS9 leaves off to see what happens post Dominion War. I know I do!

Old 05-19-2012, 09:04 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazertrek50 View Post
Do you read any fictional books? Do you enjoy the use of your imagination? Do you own a TVset, have you ever ?

1- Yes, I read fictional books from time to time.

2- Yes, I use my imagination all the time.

3- Yes, I own 3 televisions

4- Have I ever, what?

Old 05-19-2012, 09:32 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Originally Posted by blazertrek50
Do you read any fictional books? Do you enjoy the use of your imagination? Do you own a TVset, have you ever ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
1- Yes, I read fictional books from time to time.

2- Yes, I use my imagination all the time.

3- Yes, I own 3 televisions

4- Have I ever, what?
blazertrek50, you are taling about a TV show and not liking it does not indicate nightcrawler's or anyone else's poor reading habits or lack of imagination.

I watched a few Star Trek episodes in the late 60's when it first aired and did not care for it. I thought the acting was bad. Except for maybe stories by Harlan Ellison and a few others I found the the plots pretty lame. I didn't like the captain getting the girl all the time and the skimpy outfits the women wore were pretty darn sexist. None of this reflected Roddenbury's vision of the Prime Directive. That fell to the wayside by Hollywood sensationalism.

I did enjoy Star Trek The Next Generation. The people were more believable and it was more like Roddenbury had in mind in his original concept. I also like DS9. After that I just kind of drifted away.

One of the best science fiction show series I ever watched was "Blake's7" a British import. "Star Cops" was another good British import. "Firefly" was great too.

But to address the original question posed on this thread; "Star Trek," the original to me meant just a blah TV scifi show.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:38 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,547,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Sexy green aliens and babes in cosmic-cheerleader uniforms.
Lol, gotta love it though!

Old 05-20-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
1-

4- Have I ever, what?
Exactly

Old 05-20-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Originally Posted by blazertrek50

blazertrek50, you are taling about a TV show and not liking it does not indicate nightcrawler's or anyone else's poor reading habits or lack of imagination.

I watched a few Star Trek episodes in the late 60's when it first aired and did not care for it. I thought the acting was bad. Except for maybe stories by Harlan Ellison and a few others I found the the plots pretty lame. I didn't like the captain getting the girl all the time and the skimpy outfits the women wore were pretty darn sexist. None of this reflected Roddenbury's vision of the Prime Directive. That fell to the wayside by Hollywood sensationalism.

I did enjoy Star Trek The Next Generation. The people were more believable and it was more like Roddenbury had in mind in his original concept. I also like DS9. After that I just kind of drifted away.

One of the best science fiction show series I ever watched was "Blake's7" a British import. "Star Cops" was another good British import. "Firefly" was great too.

But to address the original question posed on this thread; "Star Trek," the original to me meant just a blah TV scifi show.
For someone that thinks Star Trek (TOS) was a "blah" TV Show, you certainly did watch allot of episodes so yes that qualifies you to earn a 2 star imagination (rated by Neilsen)

Old 05-21-2012, 12:15 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazertrek50 View Post
For someone that thinks Star Trek (TOS) was a "blah" TV Show, you certainly did watch allot of episodes so yes that qualifies you to earn a 2 star imagination (rated by Nielsen)
Where do you get a lot? I watched a few when it first started and then a couple more in reruns later on. When I saw in the TV guide Harlan Ellison of whom I am a fan and have met, wrote an episode, I made certain to watch it. Good story but again bad acting.

If you judge a person's intelligence by whether or not they enjoyed a TV show you certainly have a very narrow scope of intellect. So I have to ask you; do you read books, go to movies, take courses just to learn a subject, watch educational shows on TV as well as entertaining ones, have you ever seen a play?

Look, when it comes to TV shows, I know everyone their likes and dislikes. I don't expect everyone to like what I like or dislike and I should not be expected to like or dislike other people's preferences. If you enjoyed it and lived your life by it fine. That's great. But don't make yourself look foolish by judging a person's intellect by whether or not they feel the same about it.

Star 2 imagination? I have written short stories, plays and been a part of a writing team. I also have done a lot of preforming both monologues and in plays. I think that takes quite a bit of imagination.

I would be interested in your accomplisments in the area of imagination. Watching a TV show doesn't count unless of course you wrote it.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Where do you get a lot? I watched a few when it first started and then a couple more in reruns later on. When I saw in the TV guide Harlan Ellison of whom I am a fan and have met, wrote an episode, I made certain to watch it. Good story but again bad acting.

If you judge a person's intelligence by whether or not they enjoyed a TV show you certainly have a very narrow scope of intellect. So I have to ask you; do you read books, go to movies, take courses just to learn a subject, watch educational shows on TV as well as entertaining ones, have you ever seen a play?

Look, when it comes to TV shows, I know everyone their likes and dislikes. I don't expect everyone to like what I like or dislike and I should not be expected to like or dislike other people's preferences. If you enjoyed it and lived your life by it fine. That's great. But don't make yourself look foolish by judging a person's intellect by whether or not they feel the same about it.

Star 2 imagination? I have written short stories, plays and been a part of a writing team. I also have done a lot of preforming both monologues and in plays. I think that takes quite a bit of imagination.

I would be interested in your accomplisments in the area of imagination. Watching a TV show doesn't count unless of course you wrote it.
Aww, I apologize, I didn't mean this to be so serious, it was kind of "tongue in cheek" if you know what I mean. Hey my wife doesn't like science fiction at all so I am constantly ribbing her about using her imagination, she chuckles and gives it right back to me. That is awesome that you have written some short stories. You obviously have a wonderful imagination, and I will challenge anyone who says different
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV