Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 01:49 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
I wish they would either shave or grow a full beard. The five o'clock shadow look isn't for everyone.
yes, that is the problem, it is because thier beard isn't full, they obviously cannot help that, but it isn't an "even" stubble, or an "even" beard, they just have bad facial hair, which again, they cannot help.

Now while I love facial hair on a man, these two clowns need to shave it off, it looks strageley on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 02:12 PM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I find the brothers a little ugly to look at.
Bite your tongue! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Then Jonathan drops the bomb the house needs insulation and they have to cut back on their budget. Thinking about what is in the walls would be one of the first concerns I would think.
It's all part of the script. As someone noticed upthread, just about the same things happen in every episode. Few of the buyers seem to get an inspection before they buy, you know?

Old 06-21-2012, 02:18 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times
I love to watch Property Brothers. It's one of my favorite shows. It's truly remarkable how they can take a total dump and do a renovation and make it look lovely. They get so much bang for each renovation buck. I wish I had their skills.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:07 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
One thing really bothers me about this program. Yes, the results of the decoration are invariably outstanding. And once in awhile the owners have to give up something like a re-done second bath to make up for an unforeseen issue like pipes that need to be rerouted. But what about ALL the practical issues in houses of this age that they never mention? I have yet to see an installment of this program where they had to spend the budget replacing a roof, adding a new furnace or hot water heater, or repairing windows or installing double-paned ones.

These houses are OLD and they're in Canada! I refuse to believe that all they just happen to be super ugly but have all those primary needs taken care of. It seems like the rooms in these houses are just perfect shells waiting for the Contractor Brother to turn a layout into the prized "open concept" or install a killer state-of-the-art kitchen. And they never mention that outside the house is still as messy as it was when they first looked at it. Don't the owners' friends, which they're trying so desperately to impress, care about landscaping?

Old 06-22-2012, 06:58 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
One thing really bothers me about this program. Yes, the results of the decoration are invariably outstanding. And once in awhile the owners have to give up something like a re-done second bath to make up for an unforeseen issue like pipes that need to be rerouted. But what about ALL the practical issues in houses of this age that they never mention? I have yet to see an installment of this program where they had to spend the budget replacing a roof, adding a new furnace or hot water heater, or repairing windows or installing double-paned ones.

These houses are OLD and they're in Canada! I refuse to believe that all they just happen to be super ugly but have all those primary needs taken care of. It seems like the rooms in these houses are just perfect shells waiting for the Contractor Brother to turn a layout into the prized "open concept" or install a killer state-of-the-art kitchen. And they never mention that outside the house is still as messy as it was when they first looked at it. Don't the owners' friends, which they're trying so desperately to impress, care about landscaping?
That is a good point. Old houses usually have a host of issues.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:25 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
and here' another thing.

they will re-do house number 1, then house number 2, then house number 3, but in all different types of decor.

Now lets say you like house 2, but love house 3 decor, why don't the brothers make house 2 have house 3 decor? The buyers never seem to care, it is almost like they just accent each house has it's own decor, not knowing that it can be changed to a different decor.

I always wondered about that, because some of the houses are nice but I might like a different decor better.

so just because they like house number 2, doesn't mean they can have the decor of house number 3, right????

Old 06-22-2012, 04:29 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
and here' another thing.

they will re-do house number 1, then house number 2, then house number 3, but in all different types of decor.

Now lets say you like house 2, but love house 3 decor, why don't the brothers make house 2 have house 3 decor? The buyers never seem to care, it is almost like they just accent each house has it's own decor, not knowing that it can be changed to a different decor.

I always wondered about that, because some of the houses are nice but I might like a different decor better.

so just because they like house number 2, doesn't mean they can have the decor of house number 3, right????
I've bought/sold more than a few houses in my life, my best friend is a Realtor, and I watch tons of HGTV/DIY. My major observation about real estate is: MANY people (especially younger ones) choose the house they will buy for incredibly superficial reasons.

The most eye-opening experience of my real estate life was selling a rehabbed 19th century row house in an urban neighborhood popular with young people. More than 100 perspective buyers visited my very well-priced property. It became quite clear after the initial weeks of listing that the first-time buyers (and they almost all were) had unbelievable ideas about what their money was going to buy and how much a more than 100-year-old property could be improved to reflect what they would find in suburban McMansions.

The house was rejected because the colors were too boring and because they were too loud (?). Add the people who would not buy a house that lacked the must-have stainless steel/granite kitchen, which would have brought that house WAY over market rate. Or expected I had money for other amenities after adding a new roof, new furnace, replacement windows, walk-in closet; siding the exterior; and landscaping a beautiful private patio. When I inquired how many of these people were checking out the unfinished basement, my Realtor exclaimed, "They don't care about that. These people totally rely on their inspectors for ANY substantive issue."

The majority of first-time buyers have an idea in their heads about what constitutes an attractive house that (1) appeals to their imagination, (2) will impress their friends, and (3) is turn-key ready to host a party the first weekend they're there. The Property Brothers make the very valid point that those dreams add up to half-to-a-million dollars in many urban areas. But it doesn't surprise me in the least that they react to furniture and colors they like and yell, "THAT ONE!" Unless an honest inspector paints them a horror story about a house, they're in, based on their taste in room size, paint, flooring, and if it has a tub AND a shower. The upshot of my experience: After six months on the market I got my price from an investor who was going to rent it. Every single house on my street that was sold that busy real estate year was sold to an investor. As a result, the neighborhood has deteriorated tremendously in the ensuing decade, so I'm lucky I got out when I did.

Also, don't forget that real estate programs are as staged as any other TV reality show. On HGTV's House Hunters, for example, the buyers have already purchased one of those three homes before they shoot the episode. The other two may not have even been on the market when they looked.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:54 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
I think Property Brothers is a great show. So many people don't want to buy an older home just because it doesn't have modern decor and does smell like cat pee. Yet how many of those buyers have bought that high priced decorative mansion and.... I think everybody knows how that one ends.

Seems the real moral to the shows is 'get a contractor and put that 10-20% down payment to work on the home you own.' It'll probably be cheaper to heat/cool and pay taxes than space you don't really need.

As far as the appearance of the brothers... they do keep making new episodes.

And just for consideration, I've been watching 'Income Property' for years. I find that far more guiding and informative than any of the other shows, excepting 'Holmes on Homes' which doesn't have so many new episodes.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:57 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
When I purchased my first house I looked beyond the former owners crap like tne swirly avocado carpet, pink dining room, dated drapes, old windows and so on. Can't the couples EVER have a vision of what could be? They always want perfect, new move in ready!
I know, right? I am selling my house and having a hard time of it. IMO it's a nice little house. Small but nice. Ocean view, corner lot! BUT it's 60 years old and needs some work. My husband died before he could get around to it all. Whatever, I keep complaining that buyers can't see the "potential" of this nice little place. DUH.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:47 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,937,966 times
What amazes me about this program is how expensive homes are in Toronto and how ordinary the homebuyers appear to be. The majority of the homebuyers just don't come off as being high income wage earners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV