Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 03:06 PM

302 posts, read 580,969 times

Advertisements

My post never said that you can't voice your opinion or be disgusted, it just said that if you are not fat you don't have a clue what its like to be fat anymore than I have a clue what its like to be normal sized.

I have friends who have had the surgery, it is by no means easy. You are basically putting yourself in the position of being sick for a very long time if not for life. This show is showing the struggle that the super obese face. Generally they have to resort to the surgery or die. Some of them die because of the surgery.

As for how someone lets themselves get so big, it doesn't happen overnight, and it doesn't happen to every fat person either. It is an eating disorder using food or lack of food in the case of the anorexic to control or medicate bad feelings, so yeah self loathing factors in there. In any case it is much more complex than wanting to eat whatever you want or deciding not to exercise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 03:09 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,414,870 times
I felt badly for her. I wonder how her relationship with her husband will change, now that she has lost wieght...and learned how to drive. I am glad she lost weight, and I hope she keeps it off. I can't imagine how horrible her life was, not even being able to get into a car...

Old 02-03-2012, 04:35 PM

831 posts, read 2,829,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I felt badly for her. I wonder how her relationship with her husband will change, now that she has lost wieght...and learned how to drive. I am glad she lost weight, and I hope she keeps it off. I can't imagine how horrible her life was, not even being able to get into a car...
Husband?
Didn't watch it, but surprised to hear she's married.

There's no genetic flaw that causes this. It's our society and while I can see how weight can creep up on a person, 600lbs is excessive and she should known better when it started getting bad.

I'm fat myself, but less than half her size and i'm recognizing that I have to take care of myself TODAY. I just can't imagine that I could continue sit around and eat to the point where I can't even walk.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:44 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,394,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I did not like him at all.

I know he took care of her....and that was hard.

He just seemed like a weasel to me.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
Husband?
Didn't watch it, but surprised to hear she's married.

There's no genetic flaw that causes this. It's our society and while I can see how weight can creep up on a person, 600lbs is excessive and she should known better when it started getting bad.

I'm fat myself, but less than half her size and i'm recognizing that I have to take care of myself TODAY. I just can't imagine that I could continue sit around and eat to the point where I can't even walk.
Her husband was not bad looking.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:47 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,900,074 times
He admitted to cheating on her all their married life. He promised to stop it but really, how realistic is that?

Old 02-03-2012, 11:53 PM

9,018 posts, read 13,867,033 times
The bigger question is why doesn't she divorce the loser hubby?

She more than likely got that big because she had low self esteem from the lying cheating fool.

Any woman who has to put up with a cheating hubby,boyfriend has my sympathy.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
The bigger question is why doesn't she divorce the loser hubby?

She more than likely got that big because she had low self esteem from the lying cheating fool.

Any woman who has to put up with a cheating hubby,boyfriend has my sympathy.
She said it went back to being molested as a child.

She was never not over weight as a child.

Her sisters looked average.

Some of the weight was gained after the marriage....but, not all of it.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:24 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,759,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof11 View Post
My post never said that you can't voice your opinion or be disgusted, it just said that if you are not fat you don't have a clue what its like to be fat anymore than I have a clue what its like to be normal sized.

I have friends who have had the surgery, it is by no means easy. You are basically putting yourself in the position of being sick for a very long time if not for life. This show is showing the struggle that the super obese face. Generally they have to resort to the surgery or die. Some of them die because of the surgery.

As for how someone lets themselves get so big, it doesn't happen overnight, and it doesn't happen to every fat person either. It is an eating disorder using food or lack of food in the case of the anorexic to control or medicate bad feelings, so yeah self loathing factors in there. In any case it is much more complex than wanting to eat whatever you want or deciding not to exercise.
And they shouldn't be lazy looking for an overnight fix either. They should work on it and themselves at the same time and they will be much better off all around. Again, I say, its the easy and lazy way out.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:38 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,390,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingomo View Post
And they shouldn't be lazy looking for an overnight fix either. They should work on it and themselves at the same time and they will be much better off all around. Again, I say, its the easy and lazy way out.
I have not seen the show, and I know this is taking things a little off topic. However, I wanted to just address this comment. There was some guy who works as a Personal Trainer and very fit guy. He decided that if he was to truely understand his clients who are trying to lose weight, he was going to try to experience things from there perspective. So for several months he ate an unregulated diet and did not exercise. After the months were up, he went back to healthy eating and exercising. He expected the weight to just melt right off, but in the interview, he said how hard it was and it was a huge struggle to get the weight off even though he was doing everything right.

I guess my point is it is really easy to point fingers and preach from your armchair, but the reality is losing weight, not to mention that amount of weight is a huge huge challenge, and not being able to do it through diet and exercise alone does NOT mean that a person is just lazy.

Now I guess the other question is how people get to that size, but I would suspect that it is more mental, and they just don't realize how big they have let themselves get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV