Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 12:04 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,573,434 times

Advertisements

I have had Dish for about 5 years I guess and I love it, never ever had any problems. Every channel is very clear and the only time the satellite goes out is during heavy rain, which isn't often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 02:43 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
WE HAVE EAST AND WEST FEEDS. Why did they take them away? we have had the same package for 5 years. We love are package. i asked about the local channaels where we are an we would lose are east & west, so we decided to keep what we have. we have never had any problems what so ever with direct tv. we have four dvr's and everything but cinamax , showtime & hbo. i wouldn't trade what we have for anything else. oh yeah,and we also have WGN. SO I GUESS THAT'S IT.
Once our local stations became available for satellite they dropped the east & west feeds. Even if you didn't pick up the locals at $5 per month they still dropped the east & west feeds because your locals were available. I would rather have my east & west back over locals. Years ago when all we had was an antenna we picked up our locals for free so why do I have to pay monthly for them now???? What price range is your bill? Ours runs at $60 without any movie channels. Man I hate paying that much for TV!

Old 05-09-2008, 04:18 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,306,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Once our local stations became available for satellite they dropped the east & west feeds. Even if you didn't pick up the locals at $5 per month they still dropped the east & west feeds because your locals were available. I would rather have my east & west back over locals. Years ago when all we had was an antenna we picked up our locals for free so why do I have to pay monthly for them now???? What price range is your bill? Ours runs at $60 without any movie channels. Man I hate paying that much for TV!
That's funny, because are locals are available and we didn't have that problem. direct let us know but they said it was up to us wether we wanted them or not. they told me if we got the locals then we wouldn't be able to have east and west feeds so we chose not to have locals. for are east west feeds they charge us 2.50 for each mayjor network. like fox , abc, cbs and nbc. that price for each one east and west. i don't under stand why they did that. The price on are bill runs about 90.00 dollars a month. we also have four dvr's and stars package so it's a little more than most peoples bills.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:23 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,027,254 times
We have had Dish for about 5 years without any problems. We are switching to DirecTv when we move to Idaho, however, because I want Extra Innings so I can watch the Angels games.

My question for those who have had both is about the remote controls. Dish has the worst remotes. You can't feel your way around them very well. I am always pushing the wrong buttons. Are the DirecTv remotes that bad too?

Edit: I should say we have problems a couple of times a year when the snow gets too thick on the dish. I have to go out with a broom and clear it off. Fortunately, I can reach it with broom and step stool.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:33 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
That's funny, because are locals are available and we didn't have that problem. direct let us know but they said it was up to us wether we wanted them or not. they told me if we got the locals then we wouldn't be able to have east and west feeds so we chose not to have locals. for are east west feeds they charge us 2.50 for each mayjor network. like fox , abc, cbs and nbc. that price for each one east and west. i don't under stand why they did that. The price on are bill runs about 90.00 dollars a month. we also have four dvr's and stars package so it's a little more than most peoples bills.
The grandfatherd old subscribers in when the law was changed. The law will no longer allow either Dish or DirecTV to give you any network station belonging to ABC, CBS, NBC or FOX except the station in the area you reside in EVEN in those areas where cable can give you a neighbouring city's station (such as if you live in between Wash DC and Baltimore MD). Both services were sued by the networks for this and both lost (actually DirecTV settled and Dish lost).
Dish does give a selection of other TV stations including WGN in Chicago, KWGN in Denver, WSBK in Boston, WPIX in New York and WWOR in New York. DirecTV only gives you WGN I think.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:07 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,306,149 times
Wink direct

I forgot that when we got direct installed, we had signed a waiver because we were rving at the time. so are dish was set up on a tripod. that's to bad everyone can't enjoy the east, west feeds. we love it for the simple fact that if you miss something on the east we can catch it 3 hours later on the west. Are locals are pretty crappy, so im glad we aren't stuck with them. the only down fall with that is you don't get your loacal news or weather. but we have learned to live that , so no biggy. also we were told if we got locals we would need another dish. i was like, that is so rediculous! i would love to get internet through direct, but i can't see paying 80.00 bucks a month just for internet. that's insane! i do love having the dvr s though. i herd that soon you won't be able to keep pay per view movies. that you will only be able to view them for 24 hours even if you record them. anyone else herd anything about this?

Old 06-11-2008, 05:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,106 times
Default Dish Falls Short

When I moved to Alabama I went from having Comcast cable to being signed up with Direct TV. The two were comparable and I had no complaints.
A few months later I get a call from Dish TV. They offered me 200 channels plus 3 months free Showtime for only $39.00 a month and free installation. Thats $10 more than Direct TV but I get many more channels and Showtime for a short time. I felt good that I had made such a great deal.
After Dish was installed I noticed that I had made a bad choice almost immediately. First off, they only gave me 100 channels, not 200 and only 52 channels were watchable since I have tons of home shopping channels, CD channels, and other types of unwatchable crud. The 3 months of free Showtime turned out to be non-consecutive only affecting my 5th, 12th, and 18th month of my bill. They gave me a DVR player which I did not want or need and then charged me for it. The free installation turned out to not be free. And finally my $39.00 bill became a $78.00 bill.
I was furious so I called Dish and complained about everything. So they apologized then told me that they would give me Showtime for the next 3 months, although she did tell me that she would give me the 200 channel package for the cost of the 100 channel package for the inconvenience and then wrote off the instillation charge.
A month later I get the bill and nothing had been changed. Not the instillation charge and I was still paying for the 200 channel package. I didn't even get Showtime for free. I called Dish again and they treated me like crap and in the end I had to strip the system down to almost nothing. Now I am paying more for a system that gives me less than I did with Direct TV.
When I had Direct TV I was able to suspend my service for $16.00 a year, but Dish does not give that service. You have to cancel for $209.00. So for a while I am stuck with Direct TV. But I will never use them again, and I will let everyone know what lousy service they provide.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:52 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souperman View Post
A few months later I get a call from Dish TV. They offered me 200 channels plus 3 months free Showtime for only $39.00 a month and free installation. Thats $10 more than Direct TV
Wow that is a lot cheaper than my basic Direct TV. I pay almost $60 per month without any showtime type channels. They use to charge $5 per month for each local network (3) but it is not itemized like that now. That urks me they charge that fee for something we can get for free with a TV tower out in the country. I don't like paying a monthly fee for an extra receiver either, I paid for 2 receivers when we first got it why are they essentially charging me "rent" to have one in the bedroom??????? I can suspend my Direct TV for up to 4 months without paying any fees each year.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:53 AM

254 posts, read 1,207,830 times
I'm thinking of Dish or Direct just to get the International selection, but I want to keep my cable package at the same time. Does anyone know if this is possible?

I'm leaning towards Dish TV because Direct requires you to pay for two satellites (one English and one International). I only want the international package to add to my my current cable.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:19 PM

638 posts, read 1,918,603 times
we LOATHE Direct TV and will never give them another cent. We had them for only 4 months and had nothing but troubles and their CS is horrid.
One major issue we had w/them I reported to the BBB (and shockingly (sarcasm) nothing was resolved.

Classification:
Complaint Description - Posted 2/15/2007 2:21:03 PM

we are moving from nevada to montana. per directtvs website moves are "no charge" and also for customers with good standing. We have never been late in the 3mos we've been w/them and have always paid. we phoned 2x and each time are now told that it's $19.95 service charge to move it and then another $50 to our account. my husband ok'd the 19.95 just so the servicec will be moved and did NOT agree to the 50 chrg. today we have found $69.95 debited from our checking account w/o our authorization. my husband only authorized 19.95. i just got off the phone w/them arguing that their website and an email i received from them on an inquiry made no mention about any fees for moving. that, in fact, it states it is all done at no charge. they are very rude and not willing to uphold their contract and what they advertise on Tv. numerous commercials are ALSO out there stating the same thing about moving. NO CHARGE. we have now cancelled our contract w/them (w/a supposed fee) per their website "Easily transfer DIRECTV® service to a new address. Tell us where and when you're moving, and we'll set up a replacement satellite dish and provide professional installation for everything, including your receivers, at no charge." I also have an email from Fae about our move again making no mention of charging on our account. If our "credit" was an issue when we signed up there was no indication at that time nor any charges at that time. CSR had no answer as to WHY our account would be chrgd
Complaint Summary

What they advertise is not what the uphold. advertise on tv and on their internet site that moving is no charge. not the case. charging us $70
Resolution Sought

Change their business practices. Have been warned numerous times not to go w/them by acquaintances but still made that mistake. Now they think they can charge us $150 cancellation fee for them not upholding their advertising. I REFUSE to be charged for a service (moving) that they are constantly advertising as FREE, NO CHARGE etc.

Additional InformationDate Problem First Occurred:
1/1/1900 Product or Service: terrible cust srvcs. bad advert and bus practices. unadvert feesModel Name or Number: Date Purchased: 1/1/1900Order Number: Amount In Dispute: $0.00

Company's Response Company's Initial Response - Posted 02/21/2007 We apologize for any misunderstanding. When you placed your order to move we issued credit of $50 to your account for the movers order. However since you have disconnected your account I will be reversing the $50. When you activated your account you agreed to the annual commitment. The commitment is valid and will not be waived. Initial Response Summary customer was offered $50 credit to move her account. Customer has choosed to cancel service the annual commitment is valid.

Consumer's Rebuttal Consumer's Rebuttal - Posted 02/22/2007 You in turn ALSO charged us $19.95 for the move. Even after I quoted your website & your COMMERCIALS that we are STILL seeing on TV about moves are NO CHARGE. Also NO WHERE does it say anything about $50 "credit" the only reason you gave us our $50 back is because I TOLD you to cancel the move order & DEMANDED you refnd our $ that you had no auth to withdraw .Trying to charge for services before we've even received any actual services. I've still got the email from your CS dept when I emailed for information about a move. your advertising is bogus & you did NOT fulfill your contract with us per what you advertised, therefore that contract is null and void. I will take this further than BBB

Company's Final Response Company's Final Response - Posted 03/02/2007 The advertised offers on TV or internet specify that “Customer must be in "good standing," as determined by DIRECTV in its sole discretion.” The ads also state that a handling/delivery fee applies. The early cancellation fee is valid since it is from your original commitment as agreed to when you activated your account. Please remit the final balance due, in the amount of $100.18, to the following address, to avoid collection action: DIRECTV Customer Service, PO Box 78626, Phoenix, AZ 85062-8626.

What's funny is we were in "good standing" and to this DAY they have never specified WHY we had to pay to move even though their advertising and website say differently. .. you should check out the complaints against them on BBB.. many of which are advertising related.

I've had Dishnetwork off and on for many years and seldom have had issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV