Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 03:37 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,252,227 times

Advertisements

So...do we really need another series on plural marriages?!!

My Three Wives

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 03:51 PM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Remember the other poly family that the Brown's went on vacation with?

Well, on TLC I happened upon a show just now titled "My Three Wives" and it is an hour show about that other family. It's an hour long and so far it is very upbeat and shows how that husband and wives balance their lives. Gosh, they have a lot of kids. I know it is a reality show but these 4 people really seem to get along way. Two of the wives are twin sisters. This was filmed in 2012. They have a super workout place at their home.
I'm confused on whether it was a special or a new series. TLC doesn't have a page for it & at their site Love Times Three; it says it was a special.

Either way; I'm not sure I can watch it. The wives are sisters & cousin btw.
Everyone looks too similar at times; they didn't really do anything separate so that I could learn the individuals.. It was such a blur at times. lol

Old 12-19-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Vicki has her hair parted in the middle and Valerie has her hair parted on the side!!! Other than that, they weren't easy to tell who was who. One of them made some remark about the husband having a 50/50 chance of getting the name right!

I think it is a new show (and WHY do we need this?) called "My Three Wives". One of the wives wrote a book. Ok...so we don't need it and yes, I will watch it until it gets me really annoyed!!!

They seem very normal looking as far as clothes and makeup but the husband seems to be VERY touchy feely. Opposite of Kody.
The house looks really small from the front; but when they did the back shot it was huge.
I didn't understand where everyone lives in the house & was surprised there were 3 master suites.

As for the twins & their hair; there were times when the cousin looked like one of the twins lol
I would have likes to see more alone time with each set; so that I could pause my TV to look at them. IDK..

lol

Old 12-19-2012, 04:48 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,330,582 times
I enjoyed the show. I think it was a special rather than a new series. Maybe the network was testing the waters.

These folks seem to be pretty normal except for their marital beliefs and, frankly, that does not bother me. They are not FLDS.

They appear to be a happy bunch compared to the Browns where Meri is always crying (I think she might be going through menopause), Janelle and Christine who feel put upon, Robyn who stays about the same and Cody who laughs all the time and when he gets serious I feel like Cody is staged. I'm not sure he has any idea what is going one. But, maybe that is just me.

I believe the book about this new family was written by all of them. I actually enjoyed the Brown's book and I suspect this one might be even more interesting. I have to admit that I like exploring cultures and the culture of polygamy is an odd one.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:54 PM

Keeping Marriage In The Family: My Three Wives

Snipped-
Marriage is hard enough between two people, but what happens when you marry your wife, her twin sister and their cousin? That's exactly what polygamist Joe Darger did, and his family's story will be told in the new TLC special My Three Wives.

Darger grew up with twin sisters Val and Vicki, and their cousin Alina. It was Vicki's mother -- who is also in a polygamist marriage -- that suggested the two try dating Joe at the same time. The courtship wasn't without drama, but the two women managed to make it work. Years later, after Val divorced her first husband, Vicki and Alina welcomed Val into the fold...

Old 12-19-2012, 04:57 PM

So what does everyone think of the daughter getting married? I highly doubt it will work. I don't know how they supported her decision; the guy really scared me as a mother. I don't know what it was about him but something didn't look right; especially after the Browns had those families that fled from polygamy.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:39 PM

7,370 posts, read 5,484,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
So what does everyone think of the daughter getting married? I highly doubt it will work. I don't know how they supported her decision; the guy really scared me as a mother. I don't know what it was about him but something didn't look right; especially after the Browns had those families that fled from polygamy.
I read on a website about this family that they already have a 19 year old daughter who is married and has a baby already. I guess it seemed normal for the other daughter to get married into a polygamist marriage since she grew up in one and that is their belief. I thought it odd that the Dad said he knew her husband was from a community that sounded FLDS but he was OK with her marrying this guy anyway. I hope the daughter stays in college just in case things go wrong.
This show was a special, I think TLC wanted to see how the ratings were and then maybe make it into a series like Sister Wives. I won't be watching it if it does as I don't watch Sister Wives either.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:40 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,700,852 times
I liked the show.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:29 AM

I married my twin sister's husband- Val Darger The Guardian, Friday 6 January 2012
According to this; she has 9 children total; 4 with Joe
~Snip~
...Our family was happy; my mother and my father's other wives were good friends. It was all I knew and I couldn't see why it provoked such hostility and anger.

There were 40 children in my family, but my best friend was my twin sister, Vicki. We shared everything and had always been close.

When I was 18, I met my first husband and for the first few years we were happy. By now, Vicki and our cousin Alina had both married the same man, Joe. I'd known him since I was a teenager; in fact Vicki and I had both had crushes on him. While their marriage appeared to flourish, mine floundered and at 30 years old, I found myself alone with five children – convinced no man would want me again.....

~Snip~
.....Over the months, I began to confide in him and our feelings grew. He asked me if I wanted to become his third wife and I accepted.

Admittedly, it was impossible not to feel jealous while we were dating. Joe and I would return home from a romantic evening, only for him to spend the night with another woman. Vicki struggled, too, seeing her husband falling in love with me. I know she was envious we were in that thrilling "honeymoon" stage of our relationship, whereas I felt intimidated by how well she, Alina and Joe already knew each other.

"I'm never going to have that history with you," I told Joe.

"We'll make our own history," he reassured me.

Three months later, Joe and I married and I settled into new family life. Vicki, Alina and I share everything, from childcare to time with our husband. We take turns riding in the front of the car and sitting closest to him on the couch.....

Joe and I have now been married for 11 years, and have had four children together. Vicki and Alina are just about to celebrate their 22nd anniversary.

Why A Polygamous Marriage With My Twin Sister? Her version of the story linked above.

Last edited by Roselvr; 12-20-2012 at 06:48 AM..

Old 12-20-2012, 05:38 AM

A Real Sister Wife Vicki Darger Speaks Out: Why I Chose Polygamy October 10, 2011

I’d rather share Joe than have a hundred men of lesser quality to myself. I consider Joe to be a monogamist. He is faithful to me, and faithful to the people I expect him to be faithful to.

I’ve learned during my darkest times just what a gift this lifestyle can be. After a five-year break between pregnancies, I had trouble conceiving my seventh child, and then had a miscarriage. I feared my childbearing days were over, but I finally got pregnant again...

...I was a grueling ten days overdue when labor began, and it was the roughest delivery I’d ever experienced. That rigor of delivery led to a much slower recovery than I was used to....

....In the end, what got me through this rough time was the steadfast devotion of my husband and my sister wives. They never gave up on me. They saw me at my worst and still loved me. When I was unable to give my children all the attention they needed, Alina and Val were there to make sure they were cared for and loved. Joe never stopped listening or walked away, even when my criticisms stung. I came out of that experience more grateful than ever for my family and for the resilience of my relationships.

Living in a couples’ world, as I call it, makes our lives harder than if we were part of a community that accepts plural marriage, such as Centennial Park in Arizona or Pinesdale in Montana. But even in those communities, there are many different approaches to relationships, just as there are in monogamy. Some women have completely separate lives from their sister wives, with very little interaction. Some live near each other, but not together. And some live just as we do, all in one house. ......

In our family, we don’t have any sort of hierarchy among the wives. When Val came into our family, she instantly became a full and equal partner. We’ve created a marriage that is a true collaboration, which ensures that our opinions are valued, our needs met, and our lives tightly linked together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV