Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

World War II series: military decisions, strategic campaigns, commentary

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 04:46 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,052,777 times

Advertisements

Is anyone watching Ken Burn's WAR

Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 05:51 AM

38 posts, read 161,761 times
"The War" is a graphic and very interesting series on World War II. As in Burns' previous work (e.g., the Civil War), the format grabs and maintains interest. Much of the War's impact on the American people is told through personal letters and intriguing people who served and sacrificed (at home and abroad).

In this series, I note Burns' is a bit critical of many of the strategic military decisions and campaigns. He also hasn't been afraid to criticize senior military men (e.g., MacArthur and Clark), but uses "kid gloves" on the civilian politicians responsible for hatching many of the campaigns.

Overall, it's very well done, and a reminder of the sacrifice, success, and long-lasting impact made by the "greatest generation" of Americans.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:04 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
don't think the quality of this epic is that of ones like the Civil War or even Baseball or the one on the West--
I think too many of the "commentary" or "insight" pieces aren't as well integrated into the flow as they could be...he is not using any historical insight from recognized authorities as he did in past works, just the people from the 4 cities (at least that I have seen) which I am not arguing that their comments can be affecting as last night's comments from Babe's sister reading his letter or those of the young man who was the turret gunner on the B52--I just think that leaves Burn's comments as the "historical insight" and that is a weaker form to me....
I don't like the editing or the music choices as well either...
just disappointed overall---I wonder actually how much time Burns actually spent editing this instead of general oversight/planning...
or if his researchers changed --- did not look that up....
I have all his other features like this and watch them from time to time but this is not one I would choose to purchase or even watch again--I think there are better works outthere...

Old 09-26-2007, 01:23 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
It's revisionist politically correct propaganda, like most of Burns' work aside from The Civil War. The message of (The West was "the settling of America was basically a campaign of genocide against Indians" , the message of Baseball was "Baseball = racism.")

From Burns' perspective, World War II was largely fought to preserve segregation and put Japanese-Americans in internment camps. The America that he presents to impressionable young people is an ugly, maudlin place.

No one is saying that America was perfect in the 1940s. But it was a damn sight better country than the one Burns and his left-wing revisionists ave served up.

What a slap in the face to The Greatest Generation. They loved their country enough to fight for it. Burns is apparently ashamed of an America he never knew, a war he never fought, and sacrifices he never made.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:53 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
It's revisionist politically correct propaganda, like most of Burns' work aside from The Civil War. The message of (The West was "the settling of America was basically a campaign of genocide against Indians" , the message of Baseball was "Baseball = racism.")

From Burns' perspective, World War II was largely fought to preserve segregation and put Japanese-Americans in internment camps. The America that he presents to impressionable young people is an ugly, maudlin place.

No one is saying that America was perfect in the 1940s. But it was a damn sight better country than the one Burns and his left-wing revisionists ave served up.

What a slap in the face to The Greatest Generation. They loved their country enough to fight for it. Burns is apparently ashamed of an America he never knew, a war he never fought, and sacrifices he never made.
I'm not getting that impression from the show at all and especially not your comment that show gives the impression that the war "was largely fought to preserve segregation and put Japanese-Americans in internment camps." I see it as a very well-rounded presentation of what was happening abroad and at home during WWII.

It's certainly not disrespectful in any way to the people who fought in the war.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm not getting that impression from the show at all and especially not your comment that show gives the impression that the war "was largely fought to preserve segregation and put Japanese-Americans in internment camps." I see it as a very well-rounded presentation of what was happening abroad and at home during WWII.

It's certainly not disrespectful in any way to the people who fought in the war.

You have your opinion, I have mine.

Without providing a broader context, less experienced or knowledgeable viewers (like high school students) might get the idea that America in the 1940s was nothing more than a revisionists' nightmare of racism and unhappiness.

Ask any gen-Xer whether they think Oliver Stone's films are factual. You'll find out how powerful propaganda can be....and Burns is a propagandist.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:35 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Can you give examples of what you see as a slap in the face to the WWII veterans? Or that Ken Burns is ashamed of America?

I just watched the 4th episode and don't see how anyone, including a high school student, could come away thinking anything but that the people who fought in the war were amazingly brave, smart, resourceful and strong. In their old age they are wise, thoughtful and reflective.

It's a fact that during the war the Japanese were sent to internment camps and segregation existed. even though both blacks and Japanese Americans were fighting. What would you have done with that information if you were making documentary?

As far as Ken Burns goes, he has stated that he was inspired to make the documentary because of a statistic that some percentage of high school students thought we fought with the Germans against the Russians during WWII and also because 1,000 WWII vets were dying every day. He didn't want the war or the veterans to be forgotten.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I'm curious about the bases of your conclusions.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:51 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:

Huh?
This really perplexes me.
Last month I read a book called The Boys Crusade. This was written by Paul Fussell, one of the vets who is interviewed.
I've also read Studs Terkel's The Good War, which is an oral history obtained from many different participants of WWII.
I found no gushing sentimentality in either of those books, but I did find corroboration of the youth of those kids, as well as racism, also criticism of military decisions that were made.
War is ugly.
So is institutionalized racism.
I do not believe that a thorough and honest depiction of WWII, such as we see in Burns' film,diminishes the sacrifices that were made.

Sidenote: I wish this series was shown in one hour increments. There is a lot to digest. Also, I am no huge Tom Hanks fan but I think he did a great job with his narration. Still, my favorite part is the interviews with the soldiers and families.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Can you give examples of what you see as a slap in the face to the WWII veterans? Or that Ken Burns is ashamed of America?

I just watched the 4th episode and don't see how anyone, including a high school student, could come away thinking anything but that the people who fought in the war were amazingly brave, smart, resourceful and strong. In their old age they are wise, thoughtful and reflective.

It's a fact that during the war the Japanese were sent to internment camps and segregation existed. even though both blacks and Japanese Americans were fighting. What would you have done with that information if you were making documentary?

As far as Ken Burns goes, he has stated that he was inspired to make the documentary because of a statistic that some percentage of high school students thought we fought with the Germans against the Russians during WWII and also because 1,000 WWII vets were dying every day. He didn't want the war or the veterans to be forgotten.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I'm curious about the bases of your conclusions.
Ask yourself this: are those veterans honored by picking at the scabs of racism from a perspective 60 years later -- or is their sacrifice diminished by making them footnotes to politically correct revisionist propaganda? Are the misconcpetions to which he refers remedied by promulgating other misconceptions -- namely, that the US was little more than a racist paradise, populated by evil and vindictive people (who happen to be our parents and grandparents -- the vast majority of whom had nothing remotely to do with the seamier sides of society on which Burns so lovingly dwells, and which, compared to Nazi Germany, was a veritable paradise on earth)?

As a Vietnam combat veteran, I am tired of being depicted as a baby-killing sadist by the propaganda machine of the media, which operates from the truly evil post-modernist perspective of defining "truth" as that which is most ugly and vulgar in human life, and that which ignores any motivation other than greed, hatred, and lust. I know media manipulation. I am aware of the motivations of the Oliver Stones of the world, and the harm their mendacious visions have brought to our society.

I guess I'm curious at your lack of concern over the kind of media we have in this country, and how it has turned us against ourselves...

Old 09-27-2007, 11:54 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Are the misconcpetions to which he refers remedied by promulgating other misconceptions -- namely, that the US was little more than a racist paradise, populated by evil and vindictive people (who happen to be our parents and grandparents -- the vast majority of whom had nothing remotely to do with the seamier sides of society on which Burns so lovingly dwells, and which, compared to Nazi Germany, was a veritable paradise on earth)?
"Lovingly dwells?" I think he treats the uncomfortable subjects of segregation and internment rather matter-of-factly.
It's just that these subjects, which are indeed part of America's history, are not omitted.
And look at the progress we've made--these days, all colors of service men and women have permission to get killed right alongside of each other.
I can see why so many who have served their country don't really feel like talking about it, and I've never met any vet who patted himself on the back.
Burns' film gives us a chance to salute the real, non-cinematic heroes, and their real story. I salute those poor moms along with their boys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV